Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Hi. Trying to put together some sort of Scandinavia trip for later this summer. Am I going to miss some really cool scenery or anything if I fly from Oslo to Stockholm and/or Stockholm to Copenhagen instead of taking a train? Both of those are ~6 hour train legs, so I could save some time by flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I just got back from a Prague/Vienna/Budapest trip and discovered a surprising number of places that don't even let you insert a chip card: it's contactless or cash. Unfortunately for me, I discovered while there that my primary card's contactless functionality didn't work, so I ended up using a backup card for those and paying a few extra bucks in foreign transaction fees.

Even tourist sights with an actual person selling tickets seemed to assume you'd be using a contactless card; they'd present me with the tap end of the machine and then when I asked to insert it they'd pull out a different machine and insist on inserting it for me.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Josh Lyman posted:

All my cards have contactless but in case they don’t work, shouldn’t Apple Pay work?
I didn't think of Google Wallet/Pay/whatever their equivalent is called this week until too late to test it, but maybe?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Going to be in Rome in late May. For both the Colosseum/Forum and the Vatican, it looks like you can either book a timed-entry ticket or find a tour that comes with entrance. Are the tours worthwhile? Any specific recommendations? And if I want to backtrack after the tour ends and read every description of every item in the entire goddamn Vatican Museum, can I do that?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Saladman posted:

Yes, anything you want to do in Rome, book in advance online. This accelerated even more post-COVID. Rome was always ridiculously popular and crowded, even before Instagram, although some places got absolutely over-touristed like Trevi Fountain (absolutely skip, it's like a metal concert mosh pit there now in terms of crowds) and the Pantheon (now requires payment and queueing to go in - although it's still pretty spectacular). Rome is big though, and once you're outside of the medieval center and the Vatican itself, then it's fine.
Yeah, I definitely got that impression from poking around at guides and such. This will be my first time in Italy, so I'm basically throwing myself headlong into all the major tourist crushes (I expect Venice and Florence to be similarly crowded), and I'm having to plan and book a lot more of the day-to-day itinerary in advance than most of my trips.

Sounds like the Vatican tour is definitely worth it, then.