Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've done most of Europe but not the Germanic countries, and figure I should address that shortcoming.

Anyone have ideas for a 10-day trip? I was thinking of Oktoberfest but it sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth (especially at this point) and that going to Munich afterwards would be preferable.

Maybe Munich / Vienna / Salzburg by train in early October? Those are fairly close, so is it worth adding in someplace farther like Berlin or Prague?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you had 13 days in early December, and just wanted to wander around Europe, where would you fly into?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

elwood posted:

Personally I would fly into London stay there for a few days and decide from there what to do and where to go.
Good idea. Leaning towards this but with Dublin as the starting point, since it is way cheaper from NYC than London ($450 vs $650). And then Aer Lingus or something to Munich or Vienna (which are like $850 to fly direct from NYC).

Plus I've never done Dublin.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

[Edit: I actually did like Barcelona, I just didn't understand the rave. I also like sitting around on the beach.]
Well, they have a really good "drinking / night culture", like much of Spain. So not being interested in that gives you a different perspective.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OK, I managed to book at least the first two legs of my trip, because I was getting a little panicky about how the "low-cost" airfares were jumping up in price every day.

So, Dublin or Munich hostel suggestions?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There are pros and cons to traveling alone, and traveling with a perfect companion would certainly be better, but the people I've actually traveled with were certainly not perfect and some of them really made the trip less fun. It can really show you a side of people you don't see in normal everyday life, like how well they deal with uncertainty.

Tips:

Talk to everyone.
Don't feel obligated to do stuff with people. You just met them, you have no duty.
Hostels with bars are good. The "fun" rating on HostelWorld reviews is a good indicator. You probably won't sleep too well though.
Do the bar crawls and walking tours.
Sometimes people mix in guided tours to get to places that are out of the way or would need a car, which is a good way to meet people too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Back from Europe, and managed to just avoid the snow craziness. I flew into Dublin the day after the airport opened a couple of weeks ago, and flew out Prague -> Dublin -> US right when Heathrow airport was closed. Kept meeting people who were stranded in the airports for days, and the couple sitting next to me on the flight to the US drove from Belfast to Dublin just so they could get on a plane.

FYI, don't go to Dublin or the UK when they have snow on the ground. They don't know how to deal with it so everyone just stays inside until it melts. OTOH, Prague had a freaking blizzard and I flew out just fine.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Limastock posted:

Im in prague and its the most awesome place ever. To the guy thinking about renting a car i would never ever do that. People drive crazy here and there are hardly any traffic lights.
Yeah, apparently it's got the most accidents in Europe. People didn't really own cars until after Communism.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

Czech Republic's accident rate is not the highest in Europe either, nor is it even close. Greece has the worst drivers in Europe, statistically by fatal road accidents. Germany is pretty bad too. http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp6/pdfdocs/RAS_2007.pdf Czechs owned cars before 1991.... Skoda is Czech, and they make / always have been a pretty significant manufacturer.

Guess that is proof you shouldn't believe the walking tour guides. Which I should have known already. And he was actually Czech!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

If you buy them at the same time, you'll be seated together unless the train is already full.

What can happen also is that the window seats fill up completely, so even though there are plenty of seats, there aren't two together.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Fat Turkey posted:

In general, would it be better/cheaper/more expensive to book things in advance now or will I be OK with just a few days in advance, as I have no real schedule yet.

It definitely can be, although you lose the flexibility of the full price ticket which has no particular date associated with it, just a separate seat reservation if needed at all.

For instance, a hi-speed ticket from Vienna to Munich is usually EUR 84.30. But even 3 days in advance you can get a ticket for EUR 49.99, and a week out is EUR 29.99. Those are only good for a particular train though. But that is a LOT cheaper obviously.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I appreciate the way that the different culture/art/architecture combine to create a completely foreign environment for me to explore. I thought Paris was absolutely beautiful. It wouldn't have been the same without all of the buildings, statues, and monuments. It's difficult for me, however, to get excited about looking at one individual piece of art, especially if it's just sitting in a museum.

I don't know why you would skip Vienna then. It's basically all fancy buildings / palaces and statues and monuments.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, honestly, customs entering Europe is some guys looking bored that you walk past in the Nothing to Declare lane.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It is a pretty big problem in some countries though. Some co-workers from Argentina were training here in the US and they really did stock up on the electronics to avoid the 21% tax there and the much higher list prices. But they aren't idiots so they took them out of the boxes, installed their own backdrops, etc.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought Germany and Prague and Vienna were fine in December... as long as it wasn't raining. Cold but very pretty and the Christmas markets are great.

Does get dark early, and getting up early doesn't necessarily help.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

scr0llwheel posted:

These are the locations we're thinking about. How long were you there for?
4 nights in Munich (with one day to Neuschwanstein Castle), 3 nights in Vienna, and 3 nights in Prague. I could have used more time in Vienna. Snowed heavily in Prague, but they knew how to deal with it and their Christmas market food is really good. Ham roasted over wood fires, and trdelnik, which is pastry roasted over coals where the outside is crunchy and the inside is soft and so good.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wouldn't go back just for the Christmas markets, but I do think they are a legit tourist thing that you can't see in the other seasons. Depends on whether you have them locally I guess... I've never seen one on the East Coast US, but I know they have one in Chicago.

The hostels were super-super cheap in the winter too, although the food was still pretty pricey.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s not really Europe but I don’t know the right thread: has anyone been to the Canary Islands? I saw it in passing in a documentary and it looked amazing but as an American it’s not someplace anyone I know has ever been.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sometimes it can work out… we took a direct flight from Newark to Düsseldorf once because it was a crazy deal at $500, and then took the two hour train to Amsterdam which was pretty painless. IIRC a direct flight to Amsterdam was $800 or $900.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tate Modern was still doing timed free tickets last month when I was there, so might want to double check on that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don’t mind for a normal one or two week vacation, given it requires literally no effort and your phone just works normally.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Turin also has an Egypt museum for some reason, probably disreputable history. Cool mummies and statues.

We had the museum pass and did that one, the cinema museum, and the auto museum, I think. All fun.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What’s expensive nowadays? Haven’t stayed in a hostel for five years now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They went to Spain in July, they probably just think it’s normal.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sicily looked amazing in White Lotus Season 2, but that was at the Four Seasons. How is it for normal tourism?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, I thought TERF island meant Tenerife, I need some coffee.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nothing wrong with German beers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I miss SPG. Those points went so far in Europe and they were all these classic old hotels with huge rooms. My wife still raves about the Hotel Maria Cristina in San Sebastián.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is usually my go-to site: https://www.seat61.com

Most popular trips he explains the various route options and often how to buy the tickets on the weird websites.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We were in Mykonos in late October a few years back and it was a ghost town. Actively shutting down around us. Santorini was nice, although the beaches were deserted. Ferries were still running.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Someday I want to try the Rick Steves super minimalist packing system. All fancy travel clothes, you have one change of clothes and you wash in the sink every night or two. Everything fits in a day pack.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I used to have an ATM card that charged a flat 1% fee for foreign usage which was sometimes very convenient. Particularly places where it was hard to get small bills out of the ATM and also hard to break large bills.

Now we typically get 100 euros out once at the airport and it lasts the whole trip.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah I seem to recall it was mainly train ticket machines that wanted chip + pin with no fallback.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The one-ticket-per-card thing seems like it would be a problem for locals too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also 50/50 you downloaded the right app, and depending on the country it might not be translated.

That seat 61 website that shows how to buy train tickets is a horror show.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Comic book museum in Brussels has a good gift shop if you just want to check it out for free.

For some forgotten reason, we went to the musical instrument museum which was a really cool old building with a ton of instruments with about half labelled in English.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

mmkay posted:

I recommend taking a day trip to Lucca and walk around the walled part of the city, it's an hour long train drive one way and it's a very nice and chill.

This except rent a bike to ride around on top of the wall.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I liked Bath, I don’t remember going to anything the baths but the architecture is very fancy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I remember going to Czech Republic by train from Austria, and the ticket machines for the subway only taking Czech coins and who has Czech coins when they first get there? I had to buy a coke or something just to get change.

Has that gotten any better? I feel like Czech was still pretty cash focused at the time but this was ten years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

webmeister posted:

There's so much cool poo poo to see and do in Morocco I'd just save it up for another trip to be honest.

And as far as I know none of the cool poo poo is close to the coast?