Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
I've got a week in Spain at the start of December - I've got flights into Barcelona, and out of Madrid.

I'm tossing up between splitting it 3 days in each, or going somewhere else in the middle with 2 days each. I've looked at Zaragoza and Valencia - and the more I look, the more I wish I had more time!

So, some opinions from people who've been there before would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

You could spend the entire week in Madrid and likewise in Barcelona. Three days is very short period for those great cities and cutting it even shorter is a terrible idea.

Also, travel between Madrid and Valencia isn't instantaneous, why waste a day on travel?
Flights between Madrid and Valencia are pretty cheap, so close enough to instantaneous.

What you've said is basically what I was thinking - was just worried I'd totally miss the real Spain (eg if you come to New Zealand and spend some time in Auckland and some in Wellington you're kinda missing the point).

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Saladman posted:

When you factor in time getting to/from both airports, it's probably the same speed (or slower than) taking a train.

(E: Including going through security, checking in 30-45 minutes before takeoff, getting your luggage at the end if you checked it, etc.)
Good point.

Was thinking about bussing Barcelona->Zaragoza->Mardid, with a couple of days in the middle. Bus is about 3 hours, which I guess is about how long it'd take to fly Barcelona->Madrid.

Might grab some direct flights then. Vueling of Spanair? Price is the same on the surface...

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

enki42 posted:

Barca and Madrid are really not all that bad for a rough idea of Spain. Normally I'd say Granada is a must-see, but I'd much rather spend 3 days in each of Madrid and Barcelona than try to split it 3 ways.

Anything between Barcelona and Madrid is definitely not worth it given your schedule. Valencia is nice, but not worth giving up a day on an already rushed schedule.
Perfect, thanks!

Booked some flights on Spanair (free checked baggage!) from Barcelona to Madrid.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

SeamlessLink posted:

3) I have a Garmin Nuvi 205. Research says that it does work in Europe, but who knows if I have the maps for it. Is there any place to figure this out?

4) Electrical outlets. Assuming I bring my GPS, my iPhone, or another portable mp3 player, how the hell do I charge things? Everyone tells me that *every* outlet in Europe is the crazy European style and I won't be able to charge things. However nobody I know has ever traveled to Europe.
I'm not in Europe or America so can't answer your others but...

3) If you don't know then odds are you don't. I've looked into this - extra maps cost roughly the same as a whole GPS.

4) Buy an adapter for $5. I bought one in advance off Dealextreme.com. Note that they all use 240v, so if you use 120v at home then make sure you check stuff before plugging it in! If you're taking several things, take a multi-box so you can charge them all at the same time.