Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeamlessLink
Sep 21, 2004
(Enter something witty here)
I'm going to Europe in a week, and staying for 2 weeks and 2 days... It's me and a buddy and we plan on living out of backpacks and taking trains throughout the countries (Germany, France, Spain, England, Ireland, Netherlands in that order, pretty much) and staying in hostels or night trains. We don't plan on renting a car and are going to be using mainly public transportation, and possibly taxis. I've got a few basic questions.

1) Where is the best place to exchange money? My friend went to the bank and ordered Euros (took like two days or so) at a rate of 1.41 USD:EUR. Google said it was at 1.32. I didn't know if he got slightly screwed on the exchange rate and am assuming that there are places in Europe that will exchange currency at a better rate.

2) I have an iPhone 3GS, and would *like* to bring it to europe (to use as an ipod, apps, and the built in GPS/internet) but I hear (from my friend at an AT&T store, who said I needed to call AT&T international to even learn about it) it's ridiculously expensive. If anyone has knowledge offhand about it, it'd be great but this is something I need to research on my own and am fine doing that. If that's a retardedly expensive option, I planned on getting a pre-paid international phone. Does anyone have any recommendations for that?

3) I have a Garmin Nuvi 205. Research says that it does work in Europe, but who knows if I have the maps for it. Is there any place to figure this out?

4) Electrical outlets. Assuming I bring my GPS, my iPhone, or another portable mp3 player, how the hell do I charge things? Everyone tells me that *every* outlet in Europe is the crazy European style and I won't be able to charge things. However nobody I know has ever traveled to Europe.

5) What do I need to bring on the trip that I haven't thought of? I obviously know basic things like toiletries, clothes, etc. But I'm sure some of you with experience know things to bring that people wouldn't ordinarily think of.

I've never been out of the country (Canada doesn't really count) so I'm really looking forward to making the most out of this trip.

Edit: Also cash vs. credit. I have a Visa card and a TD debit card.. I've gotta talk to both and see if there's charges and such for using them outside of the country, but does anyone know offhand?

SeamlessLink fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU