Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

King Nothing posted:

Is there a good source for digital maps of Europe? Like what you'd get if you bought a folding map in a store but in PDF form. I found this:

http://www.cityspy.info/

In the links thread but they only have maps for a few cities.

There's always OpenStreetMap, but as the name implies it's just a street map. Free to use though, and very comprehensive.

e: you can export it to PDF as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
In the Netherlands, supermarkets usually don't accept credit cards, but gas stations, restaurants, and larger/more expensive stores (clothing, furniture) usually will. Credit cards aren't really used for your daily purchases around here, we have chip-and-pin debit cards that are universally used.

As for drivinglicensess, we have to replace them every ten years.

Also, over here driving licenses, ID cards and passports require photographs that meet special requirements, like not smiling, leaving your ears visible, an evenly colored background, and other stuff like that. Maybe the Germans here know if that also applies over there, because that would be important if he applies for a license there.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Salzburg is boring as hell, unfortunately. Well, you could spend a day there and enjoy the sights, but after that you rapidly run out of things to do.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

duckmaster posted:

The chances of a significant flight delay, cancellation or diversion (a diversion?! It's 2010!) is so miniscule to be irrelevent.

Delays aren't that uncommon (mostly weather- or strike-related nowadays), but the other will have a hotel room to chill in until the one's flight arrives anyway. Alternatively, wait at the airport for several hours which is inconvenient but not a major problem.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Limastock posted:

As for the 24th-26th, we will be in amsterdam during that period and i assume that is considered a big enough city to spend christmas in?

Quoting from about a week ago, but it might be worth mentioning that Christmas in several European countries, including the Netherlands, lasts two days, and so many things will be closed on both the 25th and the 26th. Keep this in mind when planning anything :)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ishamael posted:

Any restaurant recommendations for Rome or Florence? Looking for something medium-priced, preferably unique/interesting or just goddamn delicious.

Rome: anything several streets away from the popular tourist attractions.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheWevel posted:

Speaking of Rome, I'll be there in a few weeks. Any of you guys ever rent a scooter there and motor around? I've always wanted to do that.

Unless you're an experienced scooter driver, it's a good way to get into a horrible traffic accident. The roads are filled with buses, taxis, trucks, apathetic/suicidal locals and ignorant/confused tourists.

Anyway, whoever mentioned not going to the Vatican, at least pop into the San Pietro and climb it. It's probably the most beautiful building I've been in in my life, climbing to the top is an experience in itself, and the view from the top is pretty good too.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hutzpah posted:

I'm going to London for a week next month with my 7 month pregnant wife (it was her idea). We are thinking of doing two short day trips- one to cambridge and another to bath. Is there any reason to choose anywhere else over these two? We like eating, walking, lounging, museums, and history. Also libraries.

Make sure you stay somewhere that isn't too polluted. The air quality in London is notoriously bad and I would make sure your wife is not exposed to it more than necessary.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
For small amounts of leftover coins you might also be able to donate these - at least (international) airports tend to have these 'chuck whatever currencies you have in here' donation boxes.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The first thing you'll need to check is whether your employer will allow you to work outside your normal country of employment. Remote working doesn't necessarily mean anywhere in the world, as there are tax implications. Check this with HR or at least check whether your company's policy explicitly mentions this.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CrypticFox posted:

I am going to be visiting Athens for two days with my grandfather this July before boarding a cruise, and I was wondering how accessible it is to get around the city and the main tourist sites. My grandfather is unable to walk up stairs of more than a few steps, but can walk 1-2 miles at a time with a walker if there aren't stairs involved. I presume we will want to get around by car, is Uber useable in Athens? If not, are there taxis that can be used easily? Additionally, is there anything we should know about visiting the Acropolis and the main museums accessibility wise? And finally, are there any other sites that would be good to see in Athens that can be reached without going up stairs?

The Acropolis is on top of a hill, and then you have to climb some stairs (big stone steps) to get there proper. I don't think you can avoid that last bit, either. The big Acropolis museum is very accessible and worth a visit.

I don't know where you and your grandfather are from, but keep in mind that Athens in July will be very warm, at least 30C and up to 40+. The city also suffers from air pollution so keep thay in mind.

I don't know Athens that well otherwise but it may be worth hanging out in the harbour at Piraeus for a bit, especially on a warm day.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's because they're underpaying their staff who have decided that this is a good moment to hold out for raise

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's worth pointing out as well that all major airports in Western Europe are various degrees of hosed due to staff shortages, and are likely to remain this way throughout the summer. So you have a higher than normal chance of cancellations and delays, long queues at security, missing luggage etc.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yes it's extremely weird but Scotland prints their own bank notes*, and while these are still the same UK pounds**, smaller shops in other parts of the UK might not accept them. You'll always be able to go to a local bank and exchange them, as far as I'm aware. I think it may be the same for Northern Ireland as well.

* and not even by the central bank - three separate Scottish banks are currently allowed to print banknotes. The wiki page is good reading on this

** more or less - see wiki page above and this one

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's worth pointing out that mainland Greece gets cold in winter and you may well see decent snowfall in January. That's all good if you plan to fly to Crete but I would not recommend driving to Meteora that time of year.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

webmeister posted:

Yeah, sport jerseys and college/university sweaters make it super easy to spot Americans. Shorts as well I think, maybe not as much Europe but definitely in other parts of the world

In the UK you will see at least one guy walking down the street wearing shorts in any town or village, no matter the time of day/night, the season, weather or temperature.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If you visit the Vatican definitely climb to the top of the St. Peters.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Busy Bee posted:

Has anyone here ever done a road trip in the Balkans? Specifically, Albania, Kosovo and/or North Macedonia? I've traveled to the Croatia, Bosnia, and soon to Montenegro but I'm curious about the other places I mentioned.

No experience just for a road trip, but my family looked into the option of driving from Greece to the UK via the Balkans, rather than their usual route of taking a car ferry from Greece to Venice and driving from there. The conclusion was that it would take about the same time but only if you spend that time driving non-stop. As several countries are non-EU you will also encounter border controls and will need to deal with foreign currencies which would add several unknowns.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I have tickets into and out of Athens 8 days apart later this month, and pretty much nothing planned in between. Not nearly enough time to see Greece, but any suggestions on what to prioritize?

Spend a day visiting the Acropolis and associated museum, then spend the other 7 days outside of Athens. Can definitely recommend Meteora, but you can do short trips to some of the closer islands as well. Skiathos is quite nice for example. What kind of thing do you feel like doing?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Atomium is fun, go to the Atomium

E: Ghent is fun too, go to Ghent. These have been my Belgium recs

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The cycle path there is definitely part of the same road given how tiny the median is, so any turning cyclist would have to yield to traffic going straight.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Entropist posted:

Here's the same thing for a footpath (no bike path) crossing in a random small village in Drenthe: https://maps.app.goo.gl/MbbdDMMiJAazQrSY6

Here, there are even yield markings for pedestrians to show that they don't have priority. In the one you posted, this is implied by the road exit construction (you are coming down from sidewalk level, it is thus an exit so you don't have priority).

Hold on, yield markings don't apply to pedestrians :colbert:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Saladman posted:

Also it's worth keeping in mind that once you're in London, you can be anywhere else in Europe within 2 hours for not even €100 round-trip direct flights. Flights in Europe are hilariously cheap (or not hilarious, if you are somewhere that will go underwater in the next 50 years) -- you can fly for 2 hours for the same price as a half hour train ride in the UK.

Two hours gets you to Heathrow Airport and past security, if you're lucky.

Anyway, seconding Kew Gardens to wander around for a day. It'll be lit up for Christmas which is nice. Do keep in mind that it will get dark around 4pm.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's really just meant for business types flying to/from a handful of cities so that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've mentioned it before, but for Floridians do keep in mind that the weather in London and Amsterdam may well be cold and damp, if it's not straight up raining. It will be dark at about 5pm in November/December.