Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Shampy posted:

Is there a way off England without getting your poo poo searched? I'm assuming a ferry would do the trick.

ya, try hitch with a trucker from france. bring 2 quid to put on the dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Al2001 posted:

Is that a custom with truckers? I just started hitching in the UK.

I think it's just for ferry crossings. I met a welsh trucker once, who told me it was to smooth things over otherwise they might check all your cargo and check for red diesel and stuff.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

If you can get to the alps there are plenty of guides, they can take you out for snow hiking and depending on your budget etc you can have a go at ice climbing and stuff like that.

hiking in Switzerland is very um, swiss. The trails you are likely to take are marked very clearly. I believe it is forbidden to camp which is why they build huts in all the mountains. You usually have to book your hut bed in advance. I guess it can be nice going on multi day hikes and only having to take some lunch and enough water for the day.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Soapy Joe posted:

I scanned the thread but couldn't see my question. Forgive me if this is a double.

I'm a Canadian and I'm currently in Rome. I've just got a regular passport. I stamped into the EU on August 31st at which point I understood that I could spend a maximum of 180 days in the union within one year, but no more than 90 days at a time. Since I'm staying until January my plan was to go to Swizerland or Turkey (not in the union) before the 90 days were up and then re enter the union. But now I'm hearing different things like I must stay out of the union for a certain length of time before coming back, or that I'm only allowed three months max. What are the rules here? I googled and got nothing, I called the Canadian embassy in Rome but they're closed and I need an answer now. Anyone?

You are probably on a schengen visa, which covers the EU and some non-EU states, including switzerland but i dont think turkey is part of it. You can be in the schengen countries for no more than 90 days of a 180 day period, so once your 90 days are up you need to leave for 90 days. That is as I understand it, be sure to check for yourself as well.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I usually don't book, you can usually always find something, but it may be really expensive or really gungy. Depends on the reason though, if I'm going on a short break, or for work etc then I will book, but if I'm just travelling round I will just see when I get to the destination. When you first arrive the towns main station will usually have maps of the area with hotels & hostels which you can use to find places.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Limastock posted:

I dont get why people change money anyway, just go to an atm

Yeah this is what i do. I keep 100 USD and 100 EUR with my passports in case of emergency, the rest i just get from ATMs

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Going to Prague on Monday, staying for two nights. There'll be about 7 of us altogether going, half are Americans, the other half Austrians. My boss at my internship told me that Czechs hate Germans and the German language, and proceeded to tell me a story of how he and his friend didn't get served at this restaurant in Prague one time.

Does this hostility still exist today? Maybe we should all stick with speaking English while we're there?

Also, recommend things to do and see, 'specially with night life.

Prague has some cool old buildings. Do a walking tour if you are only there for a few days, you can easily spend a day walking round checking out the city and there are lots of bars and stuff all around. When I went it was packed with tourists, like super crowded.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

How long do you think it would take to drive from Zurich to Berlin at a fairly reasonable/unrushed rate? about 2 days?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

EricBauman posted:

You could do it in a day, it's only 900 km. If you have two days you can stop and take the night off in a town halfway there, and then drive on comfortably the next day.

Edit: It all depends on the car you're driving too. You can easily do 170 km/h in all comfort if your car is suited for it. The Autobahn is made for this kind of driving.

Hmm. I will probably rent a car as I am moving from Zurich to Berlin and have some stuff that is not easily shipped (guitar, bike). Since none of the rental places let you return a van in a different country I'll probably get a station wagon or something. I have to do some dancing around handing over my apartment so I'd probably leave Zürich in the afternoon and stop for the night somewhere, maybe Stuttgart or Nümberg. Do you have any idea how much to estimate for fuel for the trip? For like a 1.8L station wagon?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah I was wondering if I should book the accomodation, I will be sure to, thanks. I'm trying to work out the most cost effective way to move. The other option is to post my stuff to relatives in Berlin. DHL rates aren't too bad so it would probably be around 500CHF to post most of my stuff, but then I'd still have my guitar & bike. I don't need my bike as its pretty crap, I'll find out how much shipping the guitar would be. Renting a car would be about 700 CHF for 2 days, plus fuel plus a hotel for one night. I am thinking the costs will probably be about the same either way

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

GregNorc posted:

I guess it's mostly Paris I'm worried about. I speak zero french, am traveling alone, and have this mental image of getting stuck in some seedy area of Paris with no way to get home. At least in London I can pull a cop aside and ask for directions, ya know?

wherever you're staying should have a business card with the address, take one on your way out so if you do ge really lost (very unlikely imo) you can jump in a cab and point to the address. Really though Paris is a giant metropolis it would be very hard to get hopelessly lost. Just find the nearest station and look at the transit map to work out your home station.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Bastard posted:

Unless you end up in a lovely banlieu, in which case nice knowing you.

which is a real possibility when trying to visit tourist sites

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Bastard posted:

Which sites are located in lovely banlieus? Or did you mean "derp, wanted to go to Versailles, ended up in B13 to get my parkour on"?

yeah the latter, it's one of the biggest cities in the western world with 15 million visitors a year - obviously he should keep his wits about him but worries about getting lost and ending up in some bad part of town are kinda misplaced.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

What do you guys think of Madrid? I am visiting Spain with my sister who is visiting a bunch of places in europe, she has allocated 4 days in madrid and i've heard its not the greatest place, so wondering if that is too long.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

PadreScout posted:

The purpose of my visit is adventure! I am not into nature, gently caress nature, poison it , gently caress it, and hang it from a fense to dry- nature sucks. I really dig conversation, music(not deafening bullshit music, like.... live acoustic style stuff), meeting folks, poo poo like that. In Dallas I didn't do the clubbing thing cause I don't dance and it's freaking impossible to talk to people in a proper loud rear end nightclub, so I'm hoping to find more.. cafe/pub type places where I can talk up the locals, walk around- I dig architecture, buildings are nice.

you might also enjoy stockholm in sweden or barcelona in spain. http://www.zitty.de/ can be good to find gigs in berlin, if you want to catch up for a beer or something in berlin hit me up unixbeard@gmail.com

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Cacator posted:

Also would like nightclub recommendations in Zurich. I hear it's mostly electronic music, which is probably what I'd go for.

Zukunft http://www.zukunft.cl/
Hive http://www.hiveclub.ch/
Alteboerse http://www.alteboerse.com/

There are others, you can check residentadvisor to see whats on. Zukunft isn't bad for Zürich.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Istrian posted:

I would personally go with Jungfrau because of the under-mountain? Railway which is just amazing and the whole trip through the valley before that, drat. Just making a remark that I'm not Swiss so maybe that why I found the whole "train station at 3400m under the peak" mind-blowing.

I remember going up the pilatus rail and thinking "boy how on earth did they get a train all the way up here these swiss are something else" then I got to the top and there's a full blown luxury hotel that they somehow built up there

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Hello goons!

For Christmas I'm getting a trip to Europe as a present and would like advice. We would be trying to head out there around the middle of February and money would (mostly) be no object.

My shortlist so far is Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Faroe Islands or Germany.

I really hate clubbing and winter sports (like skiing), so I'm not really interested in places where this is the main attraction. Neither of us can drive, so it has to be somewhere with some kind of public transport. We're both into art, food, bushcraft and metal, but I'm a bit worried about accidentally ending up at a nationalist rally if we go to an impromptu metal concert.

Edit: Also being an arty fart I'd be interested in doing some plein air painting, if anyone has experience of doing this in Northern Europe.

I'd say Sweden, and maybe visit Norway for metal. It's going to be cold and dark. There's big festivals in Germany but they are in the summer. Iceland or the Faroe Islands would be too hard to get around without a car imo, but Skandies or Germany would be OK. If you're not driving I'd look to see if you can get on a tour, they mainly run during tourist season though (=summer).

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

The plus side is you'll be able to take photos in great light without having to get up stupidly early or stay up stupidly late!

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

BellumGallikku posted:

Do you need a VISA to go to Europe or is just a passport good enough?

It depends where exactly you are going, where you're from, how long you're staying and what you're doing

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I read the past few pages to see if it came up but I didn't see anything about Sweden. I graduate college this year and as a gift to myself I think I'm going to spend a week there. I've not started a whole lot of research into it (Don't even know when I'll go- late this year / early '13).

I was just curious if any goons knew of any "must sees" I should consider for the trip, or had any insight about traveling there as an American who can't speak a lick of Swedish? Depending on when I go, I may or may not be traveling with a British citizen as well. I planned on just going to Stockholm, but if anyone has recommendations of 'better' places, I'm all ears.

Sweden is great, you should be fine with English especially in the cities and main tourist places. There's some good suggestions about stuff in Stockholm here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457247. I really like the Photo Museum and there are those hop on/hop off busses that run round Stockholm that are good to see the main sites.

A week is probably more time than you need for Stockholm alone (though it can be nice to spend time just hanging out), if I were you I would try and explore the archipelago and also get out into the nature a bit.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

AbDomen posted:

:stuff:

When I moved to Zürich I had accommodation with these people http://www.pabs.ch/ I would recommend 3 months. There is a big list of accommodation sites on englishforum.ch in particular there was one that was mostly for students which had some decent and affordable places. It just takes a long time but everyone finds a place eventually.

ETH should be fun, and check out the Lettern by Kornhausbrücke for swimming in the summertime

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Saladman posted:

What the ... I can just imagine being stuck on the train next to someone who just ate one of those :gonk:

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Geizkragen posted:

Second, I want to spend my vacation time this summer really seeing Switzerland. I'll get a Halbtax card for public transport for work, but are there other travel deals for SBB?

skip the halbtax and get a GA http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/railpasses/the-general-abonnement.html

It lets you go everywhere on everything, except for a coupla tourist ferries and the jungfrau train, and you get a discount on those. I had one when I was there and I thought it was great.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

The halbtax is fine really just a little less convenient as you have to buy a ticket for every trip. The transport is really very good, and it a very easy way to see most of Switzerland. The 3300 CHF is for the whole year and it is probably the only thing I considered good value in Switzerland.

The best thing about was instead of waking up Saturday morning and deciding if i wanted to spend X hundred CHF going to see another boring-rear end Swiss town in lieu of grocery shopping I would just get on the train and go cause I already had the ticket. But yeah I travelled around enough with people who had a halbtax, aside from the convenience/just go factor the halbtax is good enough. You can always get a GA if you find you are doing a lot of travel.

Bern is pretty well centrally located, you could easily live in another Swiss city and commute. I worked in Zürich and a lot of people I worked with commuted from Basel or other places every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Fungah posted:

With the halbtax you can get a monatskarte or monthly GA for 375chf. That still affords you unlimited travel for a month on trains, trams, buses and some boats. You could also get a GA subscription which is initially for 4 months and then monthly. If you are lucky enough to be under 26 there are other cards you can get.

There are rules about getting the GA on a subscription basis, I think you have to have been a resident in CH for 6 months before they will accept you for it.