Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I just booked a 4 night solo-trip to Lisbon. Any recommendations to what I need to see and experience that I won't necessarily get out of tourist guides/wikitravel etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Yo, me and my gf are planning a 6-day (maybe an extra day, we haven't decided 100% yet) trip to Florence and Venice, around three days in each place, sometime later this year. Most likely between august 1st and 15th somewhere. We're thinking of starting in Florence and then rent a car so we can stop at a few interesting sights on the outskirts of the two places on our trek from one to the other. I've heard parking by Venice is a nightmare and a half, so my guess is we'll probably either park or drop the car off in Mestre.

edit: or in reverse order depending on ticket prices for the flights

does this sound doable?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 31, 2016

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

caberham posted:

It's a 3 hour drive but through some crazy mountainous terrain, it's doable. There's just alot to see in Italy

Saladman posted:

Definitely doable, but if you're spending the full time in Florence and Venice I have no idea why you would want a car. Italy's train service works really well between major cities. Either spend a 6 day trip from Florence to Venice, spending 1 day in each city, and drive between for 4 days, or spend a 6 day trip with 3/3 and don't get a car at all.

Also keep in mind that most cities and non-coastal regions of Italy are closed in August, although this doesn't apply to the tourist hotspot of Florence, but it probably will apply to a lot of smaller scenic villages in the countryside. In Milan, for instance, 98% of the native population flees to the lakes and beachsides for the entire month of August. Even the Roma beggars at the station and many major grocery stores take the month off (except for the duomo plaza). <-- Literally, that is not exaggeration.

Edit: Also if you do drive, absolutely don't do it the first weekend of August going from Florence towards the coast. I can't even imagine how miserable that will be. I've driven through France the correct way at the last weekend of August (going south) and I think I would've driven off the first tall bridge if I'd been headed north. Thank the peage system for slowing down traffic by -hours- every time you pass a major city!

it's mostly my gf that wants a car for the supposed flexibility, and not having to bother with train schedules between cities. I'm 100% certain we won't ever use it in Florence or Venice (even if they had roads), only from one place to another with a few stops on the way there. we've more or less landed on starting in Venice, so at least we won't have to follow the summer holiday traffic, should we decide to rent one (which I'm trying to persuade her to drop). Thanks for the warning though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

well I'm glad you aren't being rude or aggressive about it or presume I'm actually in favour of renting a car in the first place (i explicitly said I'm gonna dissuade it in favour of public transport).

Hadlock posted:

My guess is she's horrifically afraid of not being able to depend on the car while traveling?

it was a simple idea early in the process and based off of where she's been before where a rental has been practical, but thanks for the psycho analysis. nothing has been paid for yet, and we're still early in the planning bit.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

don't forget to do the farmer's walk instead of dragging them along by the wheels

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Heading to Tallinn this coming Easter (being Norwegian, I've already looked up public holidays and such to be safe). Any tips on what to see/experience there, and places to eat? Not 100% on number of days yet, but I suspect at least 3-4 nights.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Thanks a bunch!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Has anyone been to the Lofoten islands in Norway? If so, what part would you say is the most convenient to stay for a general hiking/golf vacation? By one of the airports or? We will almost definitely be renting a car if it makes a difference even though the rental prices are insane - sounds like doing all public transport is pretty difficult.

Honestly, it's at most a 1-1,5hr drive from end-to-end there, and the golf course is, I believe, somewhere in the middle, so just stay wherever really, But if your vacation is mainly Lofoten, then don't stay in Bodø or the mainland since taking the ferry every day would be hella expensive. Don't forget to drink beer and eat tørrfisk in Henningsvær or to visit the viking museum at Hov.

And yeah, in Lofoten (and most of rural Norway) you most definitely want a car. our public transport outside the big metropolitan areas seems to be mainly for school kids to get around to and fro :sigh:

ulvir fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 3, 2017

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

And if you're going there in the summer, do bring a lightweight wind-/waterproof jacket. If it's windy it can get quite chilly even in midsummer.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

optimistically, my wife and I are currently entertaining the idea of taking a train from Oslo to Vienna this summer. are there any scandigoons with that kind of experience in here? like, realistically, what would the actual travel time be like? and how easy is it in practice? the online plans I've seen says the trip will take a combined 19,5 hours or so from Gothenburg, but that, I assume, is if, and only if, you get to immediately hop from one train to the other in Copenhagen and Hamburg without delay.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lol thanks. this transnational train thing isn't quite as idyllic as one could imagine

apparently the norwegian ticket planner was extremely lampshady wrt transfers as well, at bahn.de the majority of trips between gothenburg and wienna has up to ten goddamn transfers, some as late as 3 at night. there's a high probability of us caving and just going for a plane instead :effort:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

kind of a dumb question, but anyways: we're heading to vienna in a few days, and as I understand it, austria is still a place where cash is preferred every so often. so, coming from a country where I literally never pay with cash, are safe-ish ATMs (indoors, frequently monitored for skimming equipment, etc) easy to come by there?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ty for the replies, I managed to extract money from ATMs in the middle of the old town in florence in 2016 without issue, so sounds like vienna'll be a breeze, too

WaryWarren posted:

Everyone's still a cold rear end in a top hat there.

as a scandinavian, this sounds extremely like my style

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hamburg is a nice place, only two hours by train. skip hannover, that’s kind of a dreary shithole (mostly because it was completely obliterated by bombshells during the war)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if you get a chance, book an evening at Denis Server’s house in Spitalfields. it’s a pretty unique experience, and you get to sit down for a wine with refills at the end. it’s costly though, I think £200 (possibly per person) and just one or two nights a month at most, with not many spots open

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i'm not just saying this because i'm from Oslo, but Oslo actually deserves more than just two measly days squeezed between travelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Echoing the earlier questions about Italy, I have a trip coming up this summer (July/August) going through Venice (3 days), Florence (4 days), Rome (5 days), and the Amalfi Coast (6 days).

I've been to Rome before, so I have a pretty solid idea of what to do there, but any suggestions for the other areas would be much appreciated.

And thank you to everyone who gave some info about England and Scotland last year - really helped make my trip memorable!

in florence:
if you like museums, Uffizi is a must, consider the Firenze card so you can skip ahead in line, this also grants free access to to other museums

4 Leoni is a pretty good restaurant, at least when we were there, a good mix of italian and foreign guests. it’s just “off the path” enough in oltrarno to not be overrun with those big groups of day-trip buses

Ditta Artigianale has a small cafe that serves both great coffee and great gin tonic (if that’s your thing)

Stay the heck away from Ponte Vecchio between 9am and 6pm