Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I just got an Eurail pass for Spain and France and only have 10 days to visit. I was planning in doing something like Madrid->Sevilla->Barcelona->Toulouse->Paris->Madrid, but now that I started doing some planning it looks ridiculous since apparently I can't reserve trains online with the pass.

Should I just skip Paris and visit something closer like Bordeaux->Bilbao or Marseille?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

Your plan will not work. Do not attempt it. What does anybody say except "slow the gently caress down, you'll enjoy it more", and yet every god damned person wants to see 5 capital cities in 10 days.

It isn't that big a deal that you can't reserve in advance (except maybe paris->madrid), if you're nervous you can reserve the outgoing leg when you get in to a city.

If I was you I'd forsake the France part entirely, but that's just my opinion. I do highly recommend the Guggenheim in Bilbao as a day trip if you are at all interested in architecture or modern art.
I have friends in Toulouse, I haven't seen them for a while. I'm going to try to reserve everything once I'm in Madrid but yeah, I'll be doing something more reasonable and maybe change it according to what reservations I can make.

Saladman posted:

E: In any case, maybe people would get the idea that going from Paris to Berlin to Rome in 4 days isn't a reasonable itinerary. (Your itinerary should skip Paris for sure if you have to come back to Spain for your return flight, Talas, although it's not the most crowded itinerary that's been posted here.)
Yeah, I'll be skipping Paris for sure.

Thank you guys.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm planning to travel to Europe for around two weeks (17 days total) next July. I have two options right now; it's between travelling Paris->Brussels->Amsterdam->Bonn->Frankfurt->Paris or doing Munich->Vienna->Budapest->Belgrade->Zagreb->Munich. Maybe I'll try to visit a couple of cities close to some of those if I have the chance, but I think both lists are good enough.

So, option 1 or option 2? Opinions would be really helpful.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

elwood posted:

Any particular reason why you want to visit Bonn and Frankfurt?
I know people there.

PaoFerro posted:

You should probably give us some more information about what you want to get out of your European trip. Going in July will give you lots of options, whether you wish to focus on history, museums, parties, beaches, sport, architecture, women or even food (or all of the above).
I'm more into history, museums, architecture and women. Food not so much, I can live on sandwiches and tap water without problems.

Doctor Malaver posted:

And you will be traveling how? If you can modify the second route I would advise to skip Zagreb for something more interesting - either Sarajevo or some coastal town like Split. Zagreb is all right but it can't offer anything special compared to Belgrade and Budapest.
Train or bus. Mostly in train, I usually buy one of those rail passes when I go to Europe.

I'm inclining for route 2, now it's time to find a cheap flight :ohdear:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

PaoFerro posted:

Rome, Florence and Barcelona are a must then. Do you enjoy Gaudi architecture? Even if you don't Barcelona is an amazing city with beautiful women and easily connected to all major European cities with the budget airlines. Amsterdam is very cool for architecture and women of course.
Yeah, I went to Barcelona last year in July, awesome place but really really crowded.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Eyeneedle posted:

I'm planning to explore Austria and Slovenia while also making trips to Prague, Venice and maybe Budapest. I have a whole 17 days to do it.

Since all the places are so closeby, do I just use trains or should I be looking at flights? Also are those passes sold by Rail Europe worth it? I've heard that they aren't worth the cost.
I'm also going to go to Austria, Slovenia and Croatia for 16 days and I'm getting one pass from Eurail. Comparing the actual train fares for 6 days of travelling I'm only saving between 20 or 30 dollars, good enough I think, specially in case of emergency or missing a train.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Eyeneedle posted:

Thanks. Any tips on travel within Slovenia? Have you been there before? As far as I understand, it's easy to get around the country by bus.
Sorry, it will be my first time there too, so I don't really know much besides what I can read on the Internet. The country is not that big, so I assume the same as you, it should be easy to move around.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm going to be in Austria for a couple of weeks next month and I think I can spare three days to visit Slovenia. Now, a few people have recommend me to visit Maribor, so the question would be, what would you pick if you only had three days to visit it? Maribor or the capital, Ljubljana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Saladman posted:

Ljubljana is one of the loveliest cities in Europe, while Maribor is one of the drabbest pits*. I'd spend all 3 days in Ljubljana and 0 in Maribor.

*Not dirty/bad, just nothing to do and very small and not at all a European capital of culture.
Got it, thanks!