Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ignorant American here. I need to research some one-way train rides (London to Amsterdam, then Amsterdam to Frankfurt) and I’m not sure what web sites Google recommends are legit ones and which aren’t. Where should I look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok but should I just go to the train line web site and book from there?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks, everyone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For the second trip, is there a reason to buy from DB rather than NS? They seem to be showing the same trains and NS is about 10% cheaper.

Edit: no it’s not. I was comparing two different things (but it wasn’t EUR and USD!)

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 16, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
“In Greece” can mean a lot of things, and I haven’t been there yet, but isn’t there a “season” for most of the inter-island ferries? As in, almost no ferries from (made up times) mid-October through mid-May?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The white sneakers part I get, and have heard that mentioned for decades. But windbreakers are US-centric? What’s the European solution for waterproof light jacket then?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What do you guys think of the London zoo? We may have a day there with nothing scheduled.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Bollock Monkey posted:

I also think there might be better stuff to do for a day in a major city than visiting the zoo. Personal preference, of course.
Well sure, but I meant one of our seven days there still has nothing on the calendar.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

greazeball posted:

Plus there will always be plenty of empty seats on the Eurostar since Brexit has slowed down passport checks so much. They're understaffed after COVID and now British travelers need their passports stamped as well so that means that 1/3 of the seats aren't being sold just to keep things on schedule :thumbsup:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/24/eurostar-trains-empty-seats-brexit-passport-rules-london-paris-brussels
Hold up, which direction of travel is this talking about? Into the UK or out of the UK?

Trains are like planes in that the customs check is done at the destination, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, good to know.

But who does the checks? Like if you’re going from London to Amsterdam, are they British or Dutch agents at St. Pancras?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right, thanks.

I keep forgetting about the Union/Region “just do it once” things.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone have any suggestions for “you gotta eat here” in London? With the qualifiers of 1) we’re going to be dressed just a step above t-shirts and jeans and 2) less than, say, 75 gbp per person not including alcohol. Staying near the British Museum.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the suggestions. From what I’ve seen (including the mentioned Eaters list) it certainly doesn’t look like we'll go hungry. Especially since Googling makes it look like Soho and Covent Garden have many dozens of restaurants.

And I’m a sucker for open markets, so we'll definitely head down to Borough Market one day.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks a bunch, keep ‘em coming.

This is probably the seventh or eighth time I’ve heard Hawksmoor brought up by various people, so I’ll give that a hard look.

Ethiopian, Nigerian, Turkish, Polish, Greek, Moroccan, yeah sure sign me up. We live in the US, to answer the question. The only regional food we probably wouldn’t go explicitly looking for is French, and maybe Italian. Steaks we could take or leave, basically a thing we already do at home.

Tapas/meze is good, we’re big fans of several small dishes vs. a more traditional big filling entree, although there’s nothing wrong with that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks and just to be clear, upscale or trendy or whatever is not a priority for us, except maybe once if we feel like splurging. Good food is the goal.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Original Hawksmoor = Spitalfield, right?

And yeah I think if we go it’ll be on Sunday.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the London food tips, so far we did go to Tayyabs, and every bite of everything there was outstanding. And inexpensive. Went to Four Seasons in Chinatown. Have reservations for Hawksmoor Sunday Roast. Had some excellent Turkish food. Not even going to start with the bakeries.

It's sensory overload, there are so many restaurants everywhere, and so far everything we've eaten has been great.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also when an ATM asks if you’d like it to convert the pounds/euros you withdraw into your local currency, always decline.

In London last month the ATM I used would gladly change the transaction to be in USD for the nominal service fee of … 12.89%.

The only time I used an exchange the rates seemed close to market rates but changing pounds to euros had a 5 euro fee.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Absolutely nothing we found in downtown London required cash.

If you have 2-3 weeks and want to completely forget about ATM fuckery, you could open a Charles Schwab Investor Checking account. No foreign fees, no ATM fees on their end, and at the end of the month they’ll reimburse you for any fees the ATMs charge you. No minimum balance. Doing so will open a Schwab brokerage account, too, but you don’t have to fund it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Charles Schwab debit cards return ATM fees, do they make up for it with higher conversion fees or is this a good deal?
Higher than what?

It looks like they charged us 2.5% over what Google says the exchange rate was for that day. I have no idea if that’s good or bad, because I don’t know if/how a retail consumer could get the publicly listed rate.

E.g. Google says 100 euro would have been $111 on May 3, Schwab ended up taking out $113.50. Very similar ratio on other withdrawals.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, right, but I was thinking of getting cash, not just paying for something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Saladman posted:

Yeah. The abbreviation ATM is "automated *teller* machine". Like bank teller, the people you go to and talk to at a bank counter. They can do everything an ATM can do plus more. .
You may not know this, but at some/many US banks the tellers will only do business with people who have accounts at that bank,

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Link your two cards to Apple Pay or the Google equivalent and try to quit worrying about it. I worried too much, too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Chewbecca posted:

Should say going to:

• London
  • Amsterdam

Fairly certain London has like a 3 day rail pass, but the one thing I wasn't too worried about I am now like :prepop:
I was in these two last month.

London - As far as I can tell, paper “X day” cards were stopped early this year. You can use any tap to pay card at the turnstiles. Apple Pay works. Tap in, tap out, it’ll charge your card up to a maximum of 8.10 pounds per day (after that, rides are no extra charge). You can also buy a visitor's Oyster card, which is just a top-up-able tap to pay card, but I think you have to have the card mailed to you before your trip.

Amsterdam — The easiest is to buy a GVB “X day” card from a GVB booth in either the airport or train station. Physical paper card that you use to tap in and tap off a vehicle. Doesn’t include outside-of-city transport. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t cover a train/tram/bus ride from the airport.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Your WhatsApp account is registered to one number, but you can use it on a phone with another number.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The people on the trams can only sell 1- and 2- day tickets.

There is a large full service center in Centraal, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also on the subject of public transport for tourists, if you don’t know about an app called Citymapper, you should get an app called Citymapper. It’s very good and helpful.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Chewbecca posted:

Out of interest, how much are the sims at kiosks and how many gb do you get?
Others have answered with numbers, but you can just look up prepaid plans on the phone company's web site. For the countries you listed I *think* your options would be Orange, probably Three, and maybe O2. (Many have Europe-wide roaming for data).

E: like so. https://travel.orange.com/en/

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 28, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sure thing. You can buy those online, too. Warning, though, a lot of prepaid sim packages are time limited, like they only work for 14 days.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Top ups usually extend the time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What do you plan on doing in London? The answer may be “zero cash”.

Josh Lyman posted:

I asked earlier about where to get cash. It was recommended that I would get the best exchange rate by using my debit card at a bank-attached ATM in Madrid and London, but Chase charges extra fees for using international ATMs, plus the fee from the ATM for using a non-bank card, plus the spread they'll charge, so it's probably cheaper and definitely simpler to just do the exchange at my local Chase branch.
Just do whatever. If you’re only getting out 100 euro or pounds, what do you think the reasonable maximum service charge would be? And how much is the two-week trip going to cost?

I did the same thing you’re doing, but a few months go. No one wants to spend unnecessary money. But I spent a considerable amount of time thinking about optimizing cash flow and in the end what I did saved us a whopping $41. For a three-week overseas trip for two. Wasn’t worth it in hindsight.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
All I can say is what happened to us this spring.

Every place I went to in London that you’d expect to see a tourist took credit cards.
The Underground took tap-able credit cards.
Every restaurant and pub we went to took credit cards.
Every souvenir shop, even the little kiosks in the street, had at least a guy with a phone and Square reader.
The one taxi we used took credit cards, and he could add a tip to the total.

(Since you mentioned Chase, I almost exclusively used our Chase Visa).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you’re not talking about food but just cheap attractions, you kind of have to mention that admission to the British Museum is free.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hawksmoor is the opposite of cheap food, though. Sunday roast starts at 39 pounds per person. Alcoholic drinks are near 20 pounds each.

Their sticky toffee pudding is one of the best desserts I’ve ever tasted though. Difficult to imagine something that’s swimming in toffee yet not sickeningly sweet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Extremely easy. Might take a sign in/setup text or something, or if you buy the SIM card from a kiosk the person there can probably do it for you.

Bring a small container to keep your current SIM card safe.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No you just pop it in, activate it, and all that’s changed is you have a new phone number, so phone calls and texts to your old number won’t work. Texts to your AppleID will still work.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not necessarily a rec, but an Orange travel/holiday SIM will work in all those countries.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve only been to London once, but I don’t think you’re going to find many “not touristy” things on the border of Soho/Covent Garden/Leicester Square.

That being said, I found the Sir John Soane’s museum (I.e. his house) a few blocks away was unexpectedly bizarre and interesting.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm planning a one week trip to the United States and I'm struggling to fit in everything I want to do. My current itinerary looks roughly like this:

New York City - 1 night on arrival
Houston, Texas - 2 nights
Los Angeles - 3 nights
New York City - 1 night for flight home.

I'd be planning on taking Greyhound buses everywhere.

How can I make this itinerary work?
Uncannily enough my wife’s friends who she grew up with in Germany have said almost exactly that very thing multiple times, but without the greyhound bus (they sort of assumed a train or something was available, LOL) and substitute New Orleans for Houston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Chewbecca posted:

Out of curiosity I looked up the Smart Traveller page for America and boy howdy are the entry requirements intense :dogstare: In contrast, traveling into and around Schengen was very easy!:
What? You need a valid passport, an email address, a mailing address, an emergency contact, and $21.