Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I might have gotten away with making a new thread with this, but since we have a Europe megathread I think I'll try here first.

To make a long story short, I’ve been looking for a new job with my current company and I’ve been considering taking a position overseas. I can make money hand over fist doing pretty much exactly what I’m doing here stateside and much of that money will be tax exempt. My company has positions available all over the world. Many of those jobs are available in places I would never consider relocating to (the Middle East) but there are some available in some parts of the world I’ve love to visit. One of those jobs is located in Belgium, specifically in the city of Mons, and I’m rather enthusiastic about it.

I’m not new to living in Europe. I was born in Germany back when the wall was still up and I spent a few years of my childhood there, but I’ve never lived there on my own terms before and I’ve never visited Belgium before. Now, if I do get this job my company will help me get settled, namely with helping me find appropriate living accommodations, but I’m still not familiar with what life in Belgium would be like. I was wondering if anyone here familiar with life in Belgium could tell me what to expect if I decide to relocate there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

greazeball posted:

You'll have to do without a few of your favorite things, especially various ethnic foods (why are good burritos so hard to find in Europe?) but if you moved across the country you'd have to find new favorite restaurants, new game shops, new organic food markets, etc. anyway. You might also have to adjust to 4-6 weeks holiday but I'm guessing you've prepared yourself for that.

Yeah, I've read somewhere that the best Mexican food in Europe is barely average compared to what you can get in America. That sucks. Still, I heard that there are some killer places to eat in Belgium, especially if you like Italian.

So there are no Wal-Mart type establishments in that part of the world, eh? That's certainly not a deal killer, but it would be lame to lose that degree of convienience. Then again, I'm a third shift worker so I'm used to taking advantage of things like that.