Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Is Stansted that bad? I live in Naples and was planning to catch EasyJet to Stansted to see some part of the UK for my Thanksgiving Day long weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

JeffreyAtW posted:

Tell me all about Rome!

Rome loving owns. I live in Naples, so I've been to Rome for a few weekend trips myself.

One Day: Spend the whole morning on The Vatican. Make sure you do the "long itinerary" through the Vatican museum to see the Pope's Apartments before the Sistine Chapel.

The Other Day: This is all walkable, I know because I've done it, but buy a day pass for the metro. It's only like 4 euro.

Flaminio metro stop and start walking: Piazza del Popolo, Villa Borghese, across to Villa Medici, then down the Spanish Steps. This will get you to Spagna metro station. I recommend this portion of the day when you are not hungry or thirsty, because Piazza del Spagna is seriously the home of the most ruthless, cutthroat touristy price gouging anywhere in Rome. Case in point: I asked the price of a caffe in a caffeteria right across from Spanish Steps and the dude quoted me 9.50. The typical going price in most of the country is less than a euro.

Barberini: The Capuchin Crypt is literally the first church you run into when you exit onto Via Veneto from this station. It's a short (but potentially pretty confusing) walk West to the Trevi Fountain. A little further will get you to the Pantheon. From the Pantheon, walk South through the Jewish ghetto and across a bridge to Trastevere to eat dinner. You'll know it's the right bridge because it goes over a little island (also making it easy to find on a map). If I'm not mistaken, there are no metro stops in that neighborhood - there are busses, but I've only used the bus in Rome once, and I had Romans with me who knew where to go (incidentally, they took us to Trastevere to eat lunch). The metro is foolproof. Anyway.

Colosseo: The metro here will put you right in front of the Colosseum. resist the urge to go straight there first. Go to the Forum first to buy your ticket. The line at the Colosseum will take you like an hour and a half to two hours if it's busy. There is no line at The Forum. Then go back to the Colosseum. See that poo poo. If you're around the exit of the Colosseum in the early afternoon and already have your ticket, you can probably get on with a Free walking tour of the Forum. For what it's worth, the Colosseum is badass, but I thought the Forum was way more interesting, especially since I took a tour. You can probably get the Forum tour for free by looking around the exit side of the Colosseum for tourists milling about waiting for something or looking for people hawking the group tours - you'll notice them because while there's like a million of them at the entrance, there'll probably only be the one or two at the exit.

Oh, and on this metro station itinerary, buy a bottle of water, and save the bottle after you drink it - there are fountains all over the place around the Forum and Colosseum where you can get drinking water for free.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah, like I said, that whole big second chunk is walkable. If you really wanted to, you could walk to the Vatican, too - walk to Villa Borghese/Piazza del Popolo, go west and straight down Via Cola di Rienzo a couple miles.

That said, the metro is incredibly simple to navigate, and a 24 hour pass is only 4 euro, so you can use it to get to one end of your itinerary and then back to where you're staying at the end. And walk the whole way in between.

gently caress it, I might go back to Rome this weekend.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
You can change people's whole lives in Europe by giving them a Reese's cup. That poo poo is unheard of over here and watching people react to it is sometimes hilarious.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Ziir posted:

I was able to buy Reeses Cups in Switzerland so they must have it everywhere.

I don't think Switzerland is the same place as "everywhere", I broke some out in Italy with some Australians and French kids, and none of them had heard of them.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Fists Up posted:

I can get reese's cups in numerous places in Australia....

poo poo. And here all this time, that experience had me convinced Reese's products were unique to the US.

edit:
I'll probably have some 4-day weekends during December. I was thinking of going somewhere for some Holiday cheer, like snow, mulled wine, Christmas Markets and such. Reasonable flight options include:
Munich
Frankfurt
Geneva
Vienna

Anyone have any input on any of these places as a good place to visit for the weekend, relax, etc? I think Munich is probably the only one that actually has a Christmas Market.

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Never snows there? Really? That is really surprising to me - I always thought Switzerland = Winter Wonderland