Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006
I am standing watch in 622 at the Furry Capital of the World, DLI. Here are some pictures I took for you all from the watch stand. Sorry for the bad quality, they were taken on a crappy phone.

Unfortunately, my phone died, but I used to have a picture of a poster from a Rape Awareness Campaign here at DLI where some channer had painted a picture of Mudkip, with some writing to the effect of "Mudkip would never rape anyone", complete with /b/tard in the corner.

Also, who exactly is this "White Witch"? PM me, DLI Goons.

Hobo de los Muertos fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

GetHardHero posted:

There is a statue overlooking the ocean of an eagle. It has been said decades that if anyone leaves the DLI a virgin then that statue will take flight. Before I joined I used to hear stories about barracks whores and loose women in A school but drat... In my class everyone but the married people and myself has slept with someone else in our class. It is a literal loving train wreck. There is a girl who was sleeping with two of the guys in the class alternating nights, while she was dating one of their best friends. The best friend is now engaged to the other girl in that class. That female cheated on her prior fiance with the same guy that her current fiance's ex-girlfriend cheated on him with. Confused yet?

Been listening to Master Chief's speeches, eh, seaman?

Having been here for over a year, I have to say that my biggest problem with DLI is the sheer number of super Kawaii animu lovers we have here. It seems like every other person here is a poopsocking, WoW playing, anime loving furry. Fortunately, they rarely stick around for very long.

The first few weeks of class, they boast that they will have no problem learning a language, because they claim to have taught themselves Japanese. It is important to know that when confronted with an actual Japanese speaker, it becomes obvious they have no more than a trivial knowledge of the language. These people are always the first to fail.

Additionally, most of these people constantly bitch and say their recruiters screwed them because he told them they could come here to learn Japanese. loving rejects.

Also, to hell with that guy in my barracks who spends ~20 hours every weekend loudly playing some ridiculous Gundam game on the big screen in the lounge. You know who you are.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006
I completely forgot to mention DLI's other name; the Desperate Love Institute. I have heard that plenty of military training schools get labeled with similar nicknames, but I still doubt that those schools have anything over DLI. Most junior enlisted will attend an A school for several months, whereas at DLI, a course lasts for a minimum of 6 months (for Spanish) and most other courses run for 16 months. That isn't even including the academic restarts which about a fourth of the people who come here receive.

So, what does this mean? It means more time to hook up, fall in love, get married, and have children; all in the course of 16 months. This happens way too often. Since my class started, there have been five marriages, two pregnancies, and countless scandals all from my little class of 12 people!

Though there were one or two legitimate marriages in the bunch, the bulk of these couples are very young (19 or 20 years old) and had only been dating for around four months before deciding to get hitched. Two of these couples have children on the way, and one of them is actually due on Monday; which coincides with the happy couple's one year anniversary! The only thing that makes this more ridiculous is the mom-to-be's insisting that their love child was intentional, and not at all a mistake. I'm not sure what is more foolish; getting knocked up after three months of dating, or planning it.

As opposed to the "timeline" of a prudent relationship, DLI couples progress much faster. Love comes somewhere around two weeks of dating, engagement after a month, marriage around month three, and the first signs of pregnancy at month four. It is disgusting.

Now, one of the most memorable scandals from my class involved a certain Sealady who decided to sleep with not one, but two NCOs; one of which was a Marine Corps MLI from her former class. DLI Seagoons will know exactly who I am talking about. She's pretty much a DLI legend.

Also, about half a year ago, there was a female watchstander who was caught sleeping on the couch near the watch's desk in 833 wearing her NSU top with jeans. She hated the military, was openly a lesbian, and had even sent a letter to some big wig confessing that in the hope that she would be discharged. Still, it was hard for me to believe the stupidity of such an action.

In addition to my own stories, I can verify that everything GetHardHero has said is 100% true. The story about the 13 restrictees for drugs and the following engagement may be a bit unbelievable, but that is just a taste of the insanity the DLI creates. Also, I think everyone here has an unhealthy curiousity (borderline obsession) with that Air Force guy who dresses up as Indiana Jones and the Navy guy who went UA and believes in dragons. It was actually him who created that flier that was posted earlier in this thread.

I love DLI.

Bonus:

Hobo de los Muertos fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 26, 2010

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006
I completely agree, but for different reasons. Since the beginning of my DLI Adventure, I have yet to meet even one officer who is at even an average level in the target language. Every one I have ever had the displeasure of speaking with is absolutely horrible.

Thankfully, there is only one officer in my class, and we like it that way. It just so happens he is also the worst at Arabic of all the students in our class, and everyone could tell that he wasn't going to pass around week five. Though, somehow, at week 54, he is still with us. Hoo ya, special treatment for Os.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006
I have never understood why some people are punished severely for petty offenses while other more serious crimes result in a few days of restriction and a slap on the wrist.

Around October of last year, a seaman was found to be drinking underage at the PX after he was caught urinating on a dumpster. Lucky for him, he was a great student in the Russian course. The entire thing got swept under the rug. About a month and a half later, a command wide wiz quiz was held. Guess who didn't pass?

He was one of the 13 sailors mastered for peeing hot. This is the same ex-sailor who is now engaged to a female sailor who cheated on him while he was on restriction. The same girl who is widely regarded to have passed that piss test through a miracle, as she had been an active member of the same group as the 13 sailors that were masted.

Yeah, that's DLI.

Edit: Edited my post to avoid arguing off topic.

Hobo de los Muertos fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 28, 2010

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

GetHardHero posted:

Oh god, why haven't I thought of that? Just out of curiosity what branch are you? I really doubt I know anyone in this thread except for Hobo

I'm really surprised you haven't told any stories about me yet, actually.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

GetHardHero posted:

Are you talking about the late night squeaking sounds that echo down the halls like basketball shoes on an indoor court?

Seriously, gently caress that sound! Once, I woke up in the middle of the night and it was happening every couple of seconds, and sounded like it was coming from the upper deck. I became so enraged that I began bashing my ironing board against the ceiling. Building 622 is loving haunted. Martian law!

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

GetHardHero posted:

It was Arabic and it was the five. I still haven't gotten the results, we used to be able to check them ourselves but some airman blew it by checking his DLPT score from the computer he just used to take it. Ya they stopped doing the second chance Spanish thing a long time ago. There was some guy here that went through Arabic, failed (On purpose he said) then took Farsi and then got out due to PTSD. He had never been anywhere but DLI. Last I heard he got hired by some company in South America making a lot of money. He was the biggest douche ever and used to get drunk and act like a tough guy until some cabbie threatened to kill him for not paying a fare.

DLI is going to be slightly more unbearable without you, broheim.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006
I will finally be leaving DLI on Monday, and be on my way to Georgia on the 10th. It feels so weird to finally be finished here.

I graduated on Thursday with a 3 3 2, 4.0 GPA, the Provost Award, and gave the speech with a classmate. I really regret not getting volunteer hours. I would have definitely gotten the Commandant's Award.

Our graduation ceremony was interesting. The CMLI collapsed while handing out diplomas at the end. It totally killed the mood.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

tengohemroidz posted:

Wow. Navy or Air Force?

He was Army, actually.

And I'm a Monterey Standard Arabic linguist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

Spockly posted:

I have some voa stuff I swiped that's PDFs and audio if you would be interested

What is voa? I never actually took Farsi. I studied Arabic. What I am looking for mainly is audio files ranging from the 0+ to 3 level, just so I can transcribe anything and everything. PDFs with pertinent vocab and/or transcripts are a plus.

• Locked thread