Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
So who's gunna give the Air Force a run for their money next time?
What do you say Army?
Hooah
What do you say Marines?
Hooray
What do you say Navy?
(Silence) followed by laughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
I'm about 5 weeks from DLPTing from Farsi and had a question about FLP pay. If I scored a 2-2 on the mock will I get back pay when I graduate Good-Fellow? (Army)

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
You basically take the DLPT twice, once a little over half way through and obviously one at the end. Think the goal is a 1+ 1+ on the first go.

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
Monterey Fog kills man.

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008

Godmachine posted:

-Mandatory study hall for 3.0 and below. Seriously? The grading standards at DLI are already criticized by other language schools. Why make it worse? And it's from 1800-2000 which is just retarded. I hear it's rather full so those who want to go voluntarily don't have the option to.

-One company (I forget which) had a few folks showing up late for formation. Naturally, the best course of action was have the whole company, not just the 4 or 5 people who showed up late, have a morning PT formation, a pre-class formation, a lunch formation, and a post-class formation. There is no excuse for this for this poor choice of administrative punishment. None. Stress levels at DLI are some of the highest in the military for TRADOC. Whoever made this decision is not fit to wear their rank.

-Massive amounts of drug use. Actually, this just seems to be a DLI thing. I think it's the due in part because of the stress the students are under to perform to DLI's arbitrary standards. The military side of the school seems to be blind that most students are doing 8+ hours of class and a few hours of homework studying after that. As an NCO myself, I understand we need military bearing and should maintain that standard at DLI, but it's almost excessive at the school.

I was in the company that had mandatory post class formations, but I never heard about 4 a day. We had a squad leader who was able to pull influence to get our entire class taken off mandatory study hall. Our class also graduated with the highest DLPT scores for our language ever. Drug use was a massive problem and we even had a soldier trying to buy prescriptions at the TMC.

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008

Mujahid posted:

Are there any goons which are currently at the DLI and enrolled in Persian Farsi? I'm hoping someone could burn a CD with the PDFs and audio of the Farsi curriculum and mail it to me. If anyone can help me out, please message me.
I have some voa stuff I swiped that's PDFs and audio if you would be interested

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008

Happydayz posted:

Oh good stuff on the Persian/Farsi.

I'm also taking some classes through work, but no one in hell I'll get a year off to go to DLI or FSI. Been taking it after work for the past year and a half which is an absolute killer. Probably a 1/1 now, hoping for a 2/2 or 2+/2+ this time next year.

If anyone else has any Persian stuff that'd be great. Any vocab stuff would be fantastic as well. I'm doing it with flashcards right now, but would be great to load some words up on my android smartphone.
pm me I have just the thing for you

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
So has anyone here gone through an Advanced Course? I'm curious how the day to day differs for the Advanced/Intermediate school houses compares to my first time through.

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008

Analogical posted:

It's roughly the same as your first run through. I've taken intermediate and advanced courses and the only difference as you might expect is the difficulty of the material. Hours, homework quantity and general breakdown (i.e. reading hour, speaking hour) are all dependent on the schoolhouse but roughly what you're used to.

I've heard the classes are at Ord somewhere is it worth living on Ord for that? Going through the first time around (Army) I didn't really see any people in the advanced or intermediate courses. Will I still be aligned by company/language like the first time?

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008

Can you spot the problem here?

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spockly
Feb 4, 2008
Just in time for the standard to raise to 2+ 2+!

in 10-15 years.

• Locked thread