Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
Is Crazy Cat Girl still there or did they finally send her home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

ElHuevoGrande posted:

You've got to be more specific than that.

GetHardHero posted:

Are you talking about the old lady that feeds all the stray cats on base? If so then ya she is still here. How does she even get on?

Not quite the same person, but I remember the lady feeding the strays near the library. Seemed harmless enough.

No, who I refer to was this weird, mousy little sailor girl who'd wander the barracks with a stuffed cat toy and do the strangest poo poo. Among them I personally witnessed:

- Having entire conversations with herself in the laundry rooms. Once on the first deck, second on the male deck.

- Dropping to her stomach in formation and licking the ground, and then popping back up to attention like it never happened.

- Asking people to talk to her stuffed cat, with her acting as the median between the two.

- Yep, she'd walking around making goddamn cat noises.

- Eating leaf after leaf of paper.

And lots of other stuff which, if not having seen the aforementioned, I would never believe. Here's the kicker: She was a stellar linguist. I mean there's some sort of mental disability going on with this chick, no doubt, but it's the kind that lets her excel in certain areas. That's the only reason they kept her around: the vain hope she'd turn around, drop this bullshit and kick the DLPT5's rear end.

She had been there for months before I showed up, and was there for months after I got out a year later, and it seemed to me that she just might become a set piece, another strange feature of 551.

SkippyTheDemon posted:

I'm not sure about it being common knowledge, but my instructors definitely were there at the time or had heard about it, and relayed it to our class at one point. I was astonished when I read the article. Of course, I shouldn't be that surprised, what with the history of prostitution and meth labs at the post. >_< I wonder how much crazy stuff goes on and just isn't noticed...

I was there for one of their many meth busts. It was an airman; had a mini-meth kitchen in his wall locker.

I remember walking to the chow hall for lunch because the buses weren't in service - later I would find out because of the meth bust - and there were dozens of police running around, several with dogs, and officers and senior enlisted in a goddamn tizzy. It was weird, to say the least. Anyone who bothered to ask anyone anything was told to shut the hell up and go back to class.

Dunno what happened to the airman but it's not hard to imagine. Lotta drug-related issues there; really surprising.

hammeredspace fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 22, 2010

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

General Probe posted:

here's hoping I can get back there.

No rational adult would ever want to go back there.

I only miss two things from DLI: Pelican Pizza and Companos.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I remember that everyone who lived in base house loving hated it. Like, constant robberies and weird phenomenon. Marine in my class said he'd come home to find like his front door or a window open and there'd be a deuce stewing in his toilet. The rest of the house was undisturbed. Happened on more than one occasion, too.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
They still allow drinking at the gazebo? When I got there, they had just shut it down for drinking, and then literally the day after I left it reopened for drinking in response to the number of sailors who were getting picked up for being drunk in public/DUI.

Granted the police targeted the military there and nailed anyone with even a hint of booze on their breath. Even the ones who did the right thing and call a cab were at risk; guy in my Russian class was at the Mucky Duck and had one too many so he called a cab. He was standing outside for it, and the cops loving nailed him.

Seriously if you have any intention on drinking while there, do it somewhere the police can't gently caress with you. The NPS was my choice. Their hotel was something out of The Shining and the rooms so cheap. Perfect for partying or spending the weekend with your girl.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

*Wears civilian clothes 4 days a week.*

*Doesn't have to deal with E4 and below.*

*Is growing a beard right now during the summer break.*

*Is awesome.*

Great; thank you for making me feel dumber for not pulling for officer when I had the chance.

When I had TWO chances god drat it why didn't I just do the OAR

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Wish I coulda learned Japanese there, tho =I

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Jesus; Portal had just come out when I got there in 2007 and after a loving month my little group of dorks were sick of the jokes. How can that poo poo persist?

Is it one of those things where a negative reaction is still a positive reaction and there's no way to kill it?

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I'd pretty much choke on my own loving poo poo if I had to deal with that much brass on a daily basis.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
edit: nvrmind gonna not do what gethardhero said not to do

GetHardHero posted:

I don't know why you see guys lose their language over homework counselings or looking at facebook while some people get frat charges dropped or get restriction for drunk on duty but keep their language.

For comparison there was an airman in my Spanish class who got caught drinking with a bunch of marines up at the PX one night, and she was underage. All she had to do was go to an AA course a couple of times and she was good. Stayed in class and everything.

If a sailor got caught doing that he'd get flayed to the bone and punted undesignated out to some bucket out in the middle of the Atlantic.

hammeredspace fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 27, 2010

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Well it's one thing to graduate from the school there; graduating and passing the DLPT5 is another matter entirely and frankly the only one that matters. You can step on your dick on the DLPT5 and still be a straight-A warrior poet.

You can weasel out an associate's degree in the language you studied, if that's your thing. If the computer course I took back in college wasn't obsolete I could have just handed them a transcript and got one stamped out in front of me.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

GetHardHero posted:

Take the CLEP get the degree, I doubt it is too late.

The CLEP for the computer course is some amazingly obtuse and obsolete poo poo. It kind of makes me wonder how the rest of the study material is for other subjects if I have to study how to use loving punch cards and explain the marvelous new advancement in computer systems called a - get this - "graphical user interface." Gooey, they call it!

GetHardHero posted:

Also Hitler takes the DLPT V
http://vimeo.com/11187137

I already know what this is and I really don't want to click but god drat it I have to know if they were actually clever at all in this one.

edit: i snickered a couple of times

hammeredspace fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 28, 2010

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Whee sounds like a living loving hell; then again every aspect of DLI is a living loving hell. You just don't notice it as much when you're fresh outta basic training and hornier than a thorn bush and more scared than a [something that is very scared by nature goes here].

edit: I still wish I had the nuts to go officer; dunno if I'd be happier but uh I'd have more money. Maybe a different girlfriend.

Ya know to counter-act the whole "DESPERATE LOVE INSTITUTE" thing, my current girlfriend and I met back when I was still in Russian and hell loving yes we had our ups and downs but thank god we were smart enough to not get married or for me to knock her up. We're still together, still have really rough times, but as more time passes, we really know where we stand with each other, even thousands of miles apart as we are now. I still wonder how things would be different I had gone in officer, or if I went ahead with the OAR where I am now, but all told, and all things in consideration, she and I are pretty well off. Could it be better? You'll have to get a time machine and a what-if to find out.

hammeredspace fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 29, 2010

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

ElHuevoGrande posted:

You're my favorite NavGoon poster, but I don't get the angst.

Holy poo poo I don't think I post often enough here, or post enough interesting poo poo be a favorite. Flattered, though!

I'm willing to bet that you and I went through the program at different times, with different people and different teachers and leadership. My particular concoction, alongside my own interpretation and interaction with my military leadership, more than likely shapes my perception of the program. As well as it would with anyone else. Which is why I refrain from telling people NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS IS HOW IT REALLY IS. All I have is my dumb opinion, and we all know how much that is worth.

Honestly my issues with the program was the overriding sentiment, deigned on us by the then-current Navy admin, that if I didn't succeed I'd be well and truly hosed. Nevermind that any attempt to enjoy myself would result in being utterly destroyed. The facts may have been and may be to this day the exact opposite, but I didn't want to poke the bear, so to speak.

All I know is this: I saw several people, of which I would call friends, get hosed by both the school faculty and by the Navy. And reasonably, anyone else would have given them second and third chances. But we don't do that in the military. I see good people get hosed by putting a toe out of line, which causes me to do anything short of cutting off my own toes.

I mean I've made it this far. Still seeing people where I work gently caress themselves over, and the worse part of it is they had good intentions. There's a reason people say: don't be first, don't be last, and don't volunteer yourself.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
It's kinda humiliating to get punted to a CAT IV language and then sit there wondering if you've always the knack to learn Chinese or Arabic like it was multiplication tables.

Not that I'm saying that I would have excelled in those languages, but it's nice to dream!

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

Milkhaver1984 posted:

The CQ at 622b is often this Navy E4 that got busted down from E5 for a DUI after 4 weeks in. He is always there every morning when I go to PT wishing me a "Fantastic Workout~!!!" and is probably the single most flaming person I've seen on base.
I told a Navy classmate about him and apparently, he was seen at a huge murder lodge party sitting in another dude's lap kissing and jacking him off with astonishing fervor.

Does this guy wear glasses and have horrible teeth and bad hygiene and does his last name start with C

Because if so ahahaha I know this fucker.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

GetHardHero posted:

Oh god that retarded gay petty officer. He "came out" in restriction, I don't think it surprised anyone. He got that DUI on base because he went to the same loving gate over and over again asking how to get off base.

This guy was my sponsor when I showed up in Texas and god drat I was loving embarrassed to be subordinate to such a sloppy, dippy guy. And the problem is he isn't a fundamentally bad person; he was a real Joe Navy kinda motherfucker and he did his job well. Matter of fact he got sent back to DLI for the advanced Spanish program; he's got a knack for the language.

It was sad but hilarious at the same time to hear that him, of all people, got a DUI in what is arguably the worst place in the world for a sailor to get a DUI. Can't imagine him drunk. Don't even wanna try.

edit: Oh! Oh! For a while this guy had to give me rides to work, because I hadn't gotten my bonus yet so I couldn't buy my car.

This fucker had goddamn oyster shells among other disgusting detritus on his car floor.

Needless to say I made friends with other sailors pretty quick and got rides from them instead.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
How about we don't send kids there fresh outta highschool and instead let them mature, like fine wine, in another duty station, and after they've proven they have the ability to not be reprehensible fuckups, THEN send them for language training?

I mean it seemed to me that all he people there who spent any time anywhere out of their hometown weren't loving bonkers.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Who am I kidding a godamn Army kid with six months at Fort Fuckup is going to be just as horrible if not moreso when he gets to Monterrey.

Every linguist is a horrible stupid monster guys; sorry.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
It's not all bad! You'll learn a language and you'll meet new people and you'll see beautiful California and hlgalghalhgalhgalFART

The truth is that DLI is, by and large, the easiest and comfiest station you can get, at least on the Navy side, and if you have any goddamn sense about you, you'll avoid the crazies and visit all the cool places in and out of state and have a genuine experience.

Unless you already live in the area in which case uuuuuggghhhhhhhhh gently caress

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Like as not the job demands a certain mental aptitude that several people are not keen to develop or foster, as opposed to, well, as you said it, sperglords. Not everyone comes out a raging idiot with a hardon for anime and WoW and 4chan (some are good at hiding that poo poo), but by and large yes: the "eclectic" group tends to shine here because they're one of the few on this planet who can suffer the curriculum of DLI as well as suffer the infinite minutiae that the military life demands.

They're not necessarily "smarter" than other people, they're just able to better process the bullshit that happens here. Remember, plenty of people wash outta here week after week, hopefully to more fulfilling jobs.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Yeah I pretty much hosed up Russian, and then I convinced the Navy to stick me in Spanish and uh whoops here I am.

It can even happen to you!

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Jesus loving Christ; a whole month to gently caress off?

You are literally the luckiest poo poo on the planet.

Go to Vegas. Now. TOMORROW. It's a day's loving drive; do it.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Because not everyone who's capable of speaking Spanish is also capable of obtaining a security clearance.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

StabbyRipStabStab posted:

I'm sure there's enough.

Plenty of Hispanics happen to be born in the United States, you know. :colbert:

Not like I should expect for everything to make sense.
There are absolutely plenty of native-born Americans who can speak many foreign languages fluently, but being a US citizen is only half the game: these people have to be trustworthy, and clearing a background check can take years. And if that check comes back all fuzzy then you've got to give the guy another job, and not necessarily in the intelligence field.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was just grateful I was HumInt instead of Signal so my number's drill score didn't matter. Suck it SCIF rats!

t:mad:

yeh well at least i get to whiff it on the interview portion now and forever and it has no effect on my job

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
There was a guy who lived a couple doors down from me in the admin barracks who wore a Happy Cat t-shirt during one of the nights where everyone gets together to clean the halls and the head and whatnot.

I asked him if he posted on SA.

He got all defensive and snarky and "oh god you're not going to reference a bunch of lame poo poo are you."

Even goons is jerks at DLI. :(

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

grover posted:

Also, you did it wrong. The correct goon challenge is "Do you have stairs in your house?" and the proper response is "I am protected." Do they not teach this anymore??

I didn't address him like that because I wanted to offer the quasi-olive branch of friendship by innocently inquiring if he had posted there.

It's not like if he answered in the affirmative I'd be crashing his room all the time or emailing him with LOOK AT THIS THREAD or anything dumb like that; to me it was the same as walking up to a guy with a Mario shirt and asking, "Oh hey, you play videogames a lot?"

I mean, whatever; we're free to choose our friends, but his reaction stank of some bizarre self-loathing of being associated with these forums. His assumption that I'd automatically be a raging retard dropping SA references was uncalled for.

Made plenty of other friends, anyways.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Now begins the timid, almost-forbidden romance between two web stalkers.

Who will be the first to leave a lipstick-stained meme underneath each other's dorm room door, I wonder

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
IT'S A TEASE YOU NINNY golly :mad:

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

GetHardHero posted:

I don't know if I am who you think I am. I rarely smoke and I am an Arabic linguist in the Navy also I am about 3 weeks from graduating.

You feelin' lucky or able or doomed?

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

GetHardHero posted:

basketball ghost

gently caress THIS GUY he followed me no matter what dorm I slept in

I swear he followed me to the NPS one time too :tinfoil:

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

GetHardHero posted:

Are you talking about the late night squeaking sounds that echo down the halls like basketball shoes on an indoor court?

Actually referring to a constant thumping on my ceiling like someone was bouncing a basketball overhead. And at first I just thought some jackass was bouncing his loving ball indoors so I went to the deck above to ask him to cut it out.

Guy says he's never owned a basketball in his life and that he hasn't heard his neighbors bouncing anything either. I go back to my room, thump thump thump.

So I finally decide the guy's just being a loving rear end in a top hat and learn to put up with him bouncing his loving ball.

Well he moves out of his room later in the month. And I'm excited for no more thump thump thump.

But even with a vacant room the loving thumping was still there.

And then I goddamn heard it at the NPS one time and it sounded exactly the same and at the same pace.

THAT'S my basketball ghost.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
oh for god loving sakes

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

Milkhaver1984 posted:

btw, is that marine-gave-a-raccoon-nyquill-and-then-shaved-it-after-it-passed-out Story true? I heard it today, and while I was incredulous, a part of me (a big part) really wants to put my faith in its veracity.

18 year olds will believe anything.

Like spice being totally undetectable on piss tests!

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Jedi mind tricks? Seriously?

Slippery posted:

Spice is testable, but you know what? Don't take my word for it, just go do it every day!

Seems the way to actually find out is obtain a urine test and test yourself - or preferably a civilian who has nothing to lose over the matter.

Like test him a few times and if the results are consistent, one way or the other, we'll then know for sure.

hammeredspace fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 17, 2010

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

GetHardHero posted:

Well took my final DLPT today. Either way I will be done with this place, hopefully I passed and can leave here a winner.

What; not even a chance of rolling you into Spanish?

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
Man this is some feel-good news :unsmith:

Congratulations to you both.

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

Next stop, Goodfellow.

Hahaha oh god I hope you a raging hardon for complete and utter boredom.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
The best thing about San Angelo when I was visiting my girlfriend there was the Hastings and that was because they were having a used game sale at the time.

For a real soul-crushing experience, drop by their "mall." Talk about desolation and life after man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

A pass is a pass, right? loving pride.

Oh goody you're starting to understand the absolute nature of academics as a whole

• Locked thread