Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Got out of Navy Boot Camp, showed up here on Feb 11. Actually loving it so far. If you want some reasonably well-adjusted people, make Navy friends.

Anyone else doing Persian-Farsi? Trying to get a bit of a head start before I class up on March 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

DoktorLoken posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the absolute minimum DLAB score for PF? Army if that matters.

I have 4 army guys in my Farsi classroom, and not one of them scored over 100 on the DLAB. All of them got waived from the 90s range.

Get higher than that. It's not a great metric, but the people that do better on the DLAB tend to be more comfortable here. Those army dudes I mentioned are not enjoying their stay here.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

DoktorLoken posted:

What percentage of DLI students play WoW?

Currently play, or at some point played? The latter: all of them.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Super Camper posted:

Not just wow either. League of Legends and Guild Wars 2 is just as popular here as well.

Everyone in the world plays LoL. GW2 I don't hear as much about here. I'm guilty in playing both of those though.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

The whole Farsi schoolhouse has something like 3 total MLIs right now, and they've been stuck in the process of trying to rewrite huge chunks of the curriculum. Which is normally always the case, sure; everything is always being checked and revised. But the nature of the revisions was that they removed a lot of the vocab, butdidn't change some of the tests to properly reflect it. So what ended up happening was a lot of students getting blindsided for a few grad classes in a row in units 2 and 3. The semester 2 curriculum is all over the fuckin place, and I guess they introduced some new books and entire new units shortly after I got through them.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Only 10 more weeks of class but my team is getting issued that poo poo too. I know our current equipment is pretty awful, but Jesus wept.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

buttplug posted:

Good-natured bullshitting with your friends or colleagues is one thing. Actually making GBS threads on someone and meaning it because they're Army/Navy/AF/USMC is childish beyond belief.

Trufe, the Air Force is not actually shittier or lazier than the other forces on this base. But gently caress if they aren't still fun to rip on.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Can confirm that poo poo happens to army here all the time. One of my friends that LOA'd out had a choice between 11B or some parachute packer poo poo. Lucky for him his dad had some contacts and he managed to get 35F instead, but that is the far exception to the rule.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I have never seen ID checks at the patio. Never even heard of it, and one of my friends goes up there almost every night. The gently caress is the AF doing?

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Yeah man, been here for about a year now and they've been checking ID's this whole time. Some unlucky prior service usually has to go up there later at night, so maybe that's why your friend never gets ID'd.

Edit: Non-prior =/= prior service

Yeah I've been here for just under a year as well. Never seen it, never hear it talked about. Guess it just happens after my friends and/or I leave. Not much point to stay at the patio late since they stop selling booze at 8 or whatever.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

faddypaddy posted:

2+/2+/1+

I am done with this bullshit. That is all.

Nice work bro, good job.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Farsi OPI next week, DLPT in two. poo poo is terrifying.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Super Camper posted:

I heard a lot of the dlpt is about making an educated guess.

Sure was that.

Is it common to come out of it feeling like I failed? I went through the course with a 3.7 GPA and I came out of the listening feeling like a retard. Reading tomorrow.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Passed Farsi 2/2/1+. I'm not satisfied, but I didn't really put a whole lot of work into studying for the DLPT so I guess I get no more than I deserve.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I finally hit up Campagno's right before I left, while doing my check-out paperwork. Literally the best sandwich I ever had. The prosciutto navy special thing on dutch crunch? loving amazing.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Russian is rare, Japanese is non-existent. Arabic is getting de-emphasized in favor of Farsi, and I think there was talk of changing Farsi to cat 4. So probably Farsi, Chinese, or Korean would be my guess.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Softface posted:

The talk of changing Farsi to Cat 4 was going on before I started class, and I bet it will be "going on" for another decade, unless an official statement has been issued.

Probably true, but they did just lower the FLP pay on Arabic to a base of 150/month for a 2/2 I think.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Atall posted:

Can you back this up? I've not heard this to be true.

I can't find anything at the moment with google, but I'll double-check it at work on monday. And it may just be for the navy. I heard it a few weeks ago but didn't pay a whole lot of attention since it doesn't affect me, but I'll ask some people who would know.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I came from Farsi, but GLOSS has activities for all languages. Euronews.com is also good in my experience, because their audio/video articles have transcripts as well, so you can easily double-check what you think you heard. At least they did for Farsi. But I imagine they would for Arabic as well, which is a language option.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

popejackson posted:

I try to do it gently

Don't.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

By doing them a lot.

No, there isn't a trick.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Pretty much every service has just adopted the shotgun approach wrt DLI.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Daspied posted:

So I took the DLAB awhile back and scored a whopping 50- gently caress that test. Did any one study for it, or dose the normal person that goes through the school already know a language?

Yeah most people that go through DLI know english pretty well. :v:

Just messing with you. In my farsi training group there was only a handful of folks that actually knew a second language. As far as the DLAB goes, just being really familiar with grammar structure and logic was enough.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

HellishWhiskers posted:

Halfway through Farsi. I have a 3.7. I have never hated learning a language this much in my life before, and I've learned four - two of them in a fairly intense "learn this now or suffer" way. There is nothing redeemable about this process - it still doesn't even work for like half the people in the class. We're also on some kind of lovely pilot program so all that means for us is more work compared to other classes that is poorly defined and tanks everyone's grades and the MLIs don't give any shits whatsoever while we get dicked over.

Also piss jugs in Airmen's wall lockers and stories of roofying at the Bull and the Bear that would put Bill Cosby to shame.

This loving place.

It's cool man once you finally get through it you'll almost definitely go to Augusta Georgia with no chance of ever leaving and you get to work in the worst professional environment of all time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

HellishWhiskers posted:

2+ 2 in Farsi. I am so happy to be finally leaving this crazy shithole that I'm sure I'm going to have nostalgic memories of in the future.

Also it's Gordon for me, because of course it is.

Grats dude!

Georgia is really not all that bad. Augusta is fairly close to a bunch of cool places.

• Locked thread