Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

GetHardHero posted:

Oh I forgot I had this jewel, posted in the mens head in our main Navy barracks.

hahaha. That is the spergiest way to word something like that EVER.

I play D&D all the time, but... gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I'm suddenly glad I decided not to go 35m.

That stuff is so ridiculous.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
This thread is making me afraid to even get a job that requires DLI. :(

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Nobody does this though because it's goony as hell

Visiting these forums is goony as hell.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

hammeredspace posted:

Seems the way to actually find out is obtain a urine test and test yourself - or preferably a civilian who has nothing to lose over the matter.

Like test him a few times and if the results are consistent, one way or the other, we'll then know for sure.

or... just don't join the military if you want to spend your time doing drugs. (Which is completely fine) But really, there's no argument here. It's not like in civilian life where you are born into these laws and there's realistically nothing you can do about it. When joining, people have to consciously accept these rules, and say that they understand them.

Just don't do it. Doesn't matter if they can test for it.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
"An" is generally employed to avoid a stop between words, so you use your best judgement. Acronyms and Abbreviations follow the same rules. an x-ray, an NCO, a JO, etc.

Hammerdspace, you could always aspire to be my 12th grade English Teacher. She was the only teacher I ever had that gave a gently caress, and all she got for it was misery. I think the only reason she maintained composure when she found out that only one of us (not me) knew what an appositive is was because she was unable to decide between rage or sadness. Clearly I didn't learn enough, because I still can't come up with a more graceful way to word that sentence.

Edit: I sometimes say an historian, but I also pluralize octopus as octopodes, so keep that in mind.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 30, 2010

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
The only job that requires fluency in a foreign language before you start is interpreter, at least in the Army.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
This is an entirely academic question, but I don't know a better place to ask, and I'm curious. What are some of the linguistic tendencies/stumbling blocks of people who are native speakers of American English (besides drooling and trying not to spit up on themselves in public) when they speak other languages?

For example, Poles often replace v's with w's when speaking English, Spanish speakers sometimes drop j's, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Delayed response, but thanks for the replies to my inane question. That was pretty much what I was looking for.

• Locked thread