Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

I got the internet going nuts.
I'd start dousing the shitter with OC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

I'd tell her to gently caress right off.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

Not to be a dick, but why do we even have Spanish at DLI?

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

hammeredspace posted:

Because not everyone who's capable of speaking Spanish is also capable of obtaining a security clearance.

I'm sure there's enough.

Plenty of Hispanics happen to be born in the United States, you know. :colbert:

Not like I should expect for everything to make sense.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

hammeredspace posted:

There was a guy who lived a couple doors down from me in the admin barracks who wore a Happy Cat t-shirt during one of the nights where everyone gets together to clean the halls and the head and whatnot.

I asked him if he posted on SA.

He got all defensive and snarky and "oh god you're not going to reference a bunch of lame poo poo are you."

Even goons is jerks at DLI. :(

What a loving tool, you should have kicked him in the shin.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

DLI and translators should be phased out in favor of BabelFish, Yes/No?

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I know this is a troll/shitpost, but:

I interviewed at a startup that was working on similar technology 2 years ago: basically feeding tons of translated material into a program and trying to "teach" it how to translate based on experience. The problem is that translation is seldom 1:1, it's contextual and computers don't have the necessary intuition/outside knowledge to make the right calls, at least right now. For interpreting, you also have to add situational context and two separate, effective speech-to-text programs on top of all of that. So the short answer is that no, translation and interpretation aren't going anywhere until computers get a lot smarter.

I know that, your initial assumption was correct. Computer translation blows, the use of computer to assist interpreters is pretty useful, though.

On a side note, has anyone learned anything with Rosetta Stone ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

Nobody hot ever goes to Grahams.

• Locked thread