Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
I arrived here at DLI on the 19th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Well for everyone coming out here, there is no more first look DLPT.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

From what I understand they are saying that the test is getting over exposed to students and they need to protect by eliminating the 2nd semester DLPT. I honestly think it is a way for gov to save money since the Navy, Airforce, and Marines apparently start FLPP pay if someone gets a 2/2 or better on the test.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know about being here as IET. All I know is being here as prior service is the poo poo. I also lucked out and don't really have any weirdos in my class outside of that I never see or talk to anyone from DLI.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

In twenty years they will be saying the same thing about all the MSA linguist.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know if he has anything the different but the biggest changes going on right now for Army include afternoon PT, and mandatory 4 night a week study hall for any student with below a 3.0.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

My problem with mandatory study hall is that it takes the commands ability to tell if they should LOA or LOE somebody out of the course. For example if a guy is failing but voluntarily goes to study hall and stays after class etc. then it is obviously a clear LOA. However, a guy who just fucks around and never goes to study but is failing is a clear LOE. Now they have taken away their ability to make that distinction which in my opinion will lead to a lot of people who should be LOE getting by with a far more lenient drop status.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Other than the mandatory study hall nothing at DLI really surprises me. The company who has all the crazy formations is pretty standard in the Army. You will see the Army is full of over the top knee jerk reactions like that. As far as a drug problem that is everywhere too not just DLI it existed when I was in both the 82nd and 101st and there were people constantly getting busted. As far as the PT thing afternoon PT has been mandated by the Battalion commander now especially for those who are on mandatory study hall.

All in all DLI is not the worst run place I have ever seen in the Army nor does it undertake in the most annoying time wasting behaviors. The grading scales are a little retarded from time to time (DLI is the only place I have ever seen consider 87% a B-.) However overall I think overall a 3.0 is very achievable especially when you consider all of the give me grades that count towards you overall GPA.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I am aware of curves etc., however at DLI it all seems to be done arbitrarily with no real thought put into it. Also it is the only language class I have ever been in where the teachers say you can't get an A in speaking because that would mean you were a native speaker. As well as stuff along the lines of I know you put a lot of work into your project and you did a great job but you are getting a B because you are a B student and therefore your grade on everything has to be a B.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Got read the memo today by the CO that basically said you are never ever getting a waiver ever for DLPT scores. Since now it has to go up to the MI center of excellence or whatever the gently caress that is.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

The teaching team leaders as far as I know set the class break. I have never heard anyone choosing. In fact most people I know had their class break scheduled over 4th of July week so they only miss 3 days of class. This is people who started class after and before I did. Ours is at the end of July and it was set for us. What school house are you in?

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

That's weird because my I don't know a single person who set there own class break. I am going to add I don't know a lot of people but I would say that among everyone I know in 6 - 9 different classes in ME2 none have set their own dates. This however doesn't mean much since DLI is the most inconsistent place on earth.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah it is probably just one of those inconsistencies that DLI loves, like in ME2 any B- on any test and you are on 7th hour until the next test but in ME3 as long as you have above a 3.0 you are not on 7th hour etc. God I hate this place.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Don't get me wrong I love DLI well more like I love the area getting off at 3 pm almost every day is nice except for the maybe once a week there is something to do and it is not that bad just the little inconsistencies kill me.

As far as the team leaders I try and help mine out. However, no one in my class has ever been outright disrespectful and if they were I would march there happy rear end to the MLI and let them handle it. For us 75 on quizzes is failing however with test who the hell knows the scales are insane, I had a 93.4% on one test and got a B+ had 61% on another and got a C. One wrong is usually an automatic A- no matter what and C- and below is considered failing and automatic SA.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah they are sending one guy off to be a 13F and another to be a 14E.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Also if you like Vietnamese head to the Noodle Bar in Seaside or Marina. That place is great and cheap.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

faddypaddy posted:

Yeah they are sending one guy off to be a 13F and another to be a 14E.

Covered this already. Also another guy is getting 35F but he is the only guy to get a 35 series that I have seen in my company for awhile.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know I am ME2 and our class break is the 22 - 27 of July avoiding all 4 day weekends and being almost exactly in the middle of our course.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know how important transcription is in dialect however, in MSA it is something like less than 10% of your overall grade. I was horrible at it all through the first semester now halfway through semester two I am getting to a passable level. I would say start listening while reading along to the script that is what I did to help make the mental connection between the sound and the spelling of the words.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

It depends. How far are you in the course? What language? It took me a while before I found a study strategy that worked. As far as actually raising you GPA maybe maybe not but if you show decent improvement and start getting good grades on test then you can easily get put in for a recycle.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Achmed if you are interested in some help let me know and I will pass on my email and we can link up. I should be able to help you out.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Youtube video of real jihadis?

This just pull up a video and rip the sound, I bet there are even mp3 files out there for you to download.

Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kq3npTXtzY

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah it's weird how that happens. I took the unit 4 test and my instructor pulled me aside and was like you failed listening by one point. So I am going to give you that point because you don't want to be on SA. I was like okay I'll take it without asking any questions. A week later I got a grade run from the MLI and I had a B in the listening. That was one hell of a point.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

bees everywhere posted:

What's DLI like for Army NCOs? Would I have to deal with the same bullshit as the lower enlisted (the 4 formations a day thing in particular) or is it more of a gentleman's course? Hotels or barracks?

Basically like the whole Army it will depend on what company you end up in. For my company not bad formations are 2 a day if you are on PT if you are in a company where NCOs can become exempt from PT then it will only be one a day. You will live off post they will do the paperwork for BHA when you get here. For the most part leadership at least in my company will leave NCO's alone. Any more specific questions PM me.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Badgers posted:

Started class today, got issued a MacBook Pro and an iPad, hell yeah.

This is just one example of why DLI as an institution is an example of fraud, waste, and abuse.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

As a former 11B I would highly suggest that you pick 13F. I am being serious the job and lifestyle are better.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Also before you think OMG this is such a waste just remember that this is the same Army that after spending all the time and money on training someone in there language giving them a clearance etc. sends them to a place like 4ID where they will never use there language again, and usually don't need a clearance to do the day to day stuff that they do.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

TPSDude posted:

As a 13F thinking of re-enlisting to be a linguist I find this loving Hilarious.

If you can't get anything other than 11B or 13F, go 13F. I theres any questions about what sort of poo poo you'll do, I'm more than happy to share. Don't go 11B.

It's funny you say this because as a former 11B I told a guy who was LOA'ing that if it got down to 13F and 11B to go 13F.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

You must have Kipfer for a CMLI then. I could see it being really useful especially if you start using it from Sound and Script but I didn't even know what it was till like unit 9 and by then it didn't make any sense to start using it.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

How in the gently caress do you get within the DLPT and not know your date? Why wasn't anyone asking two or three weeks ago and demanding to know???

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

That makes total sense then. The testing department that handles the scheduling are a bunch of asshats anyway.

edit: Went for my OPI today and the tester didn't show up. They said they will be in touch for the rescheduled.

faddypaddy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 24, 2013

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

2+/2+/1+

I am done with this bullshit. That is all.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

It was MSA. I am relieved but the language instruction and methods used at DLI have left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like the ME2 school house should be shutdown for fraud, waste, and abuse.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Just an urban legend. They have put two guys who rocked out of MSA in French though which is unheard of in the Army.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

TheUnhorse posted:

Just curious, care to post the names of your MLI/teachers?

Not really. Any reason you want to know in particular? If so PM me and I will give them to you.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

No we didn't have horseface. We rotated through MLIs like joe snuffy rotates through hookers on a trip to SE Asia, but with only one exception they all were pretty meh and didn't really give a gently caress about our class. Or any class for that matter. Also our teachers moved around the same way and we saw in excess of 20 teachers throughout the 64 weeks.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Edit: nm I need to learn to read better

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

If it is any help I know pretty much zero arabic and I did okay.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

My experience with watching people roll is that it depends on how seriously you take it. Some guys roll and never let up and do really well. Other guys end up taking it easy since their grades immediately improve after the first unit or two and end up failing. Of the last 5 guys I know who rolled and DLPT'd 2 got above 2/2/1+ while 2 got 1+ or lower across the board and one ended up with a 2+/1+. So if you roll take that poo poo seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

I have no idea how it works for IET. For careerist we chose our language before going. It all depends on your DLAB score and slots really I have seen kids moved from company to company until they found them a slot in a class language that was starting up.

• Locked thread