Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

AchmedTheSnake posted:

And listening is killing me. I have a strategy ready and then test time. Boom. There it goes and I have no idea what's going on.
Obviously everyone is different, but here are some broadly-applicable things that helped me when I was at DLI.
a) Read the question and the answers before the passage starts. Listen specifically for what they were asking about, don't try to translate everything as it goes.
b) See if you can build a couple-second buffer in your brain. If you didn't get the answer the first time through, try to run over it again in your mind... BUT!
c) If you miss something and you can't get it the second run-through, and there are other questions for this passage, accept that you probably missed it and start listening for the answers to the other questions.
d) If you don't know the right answer, try to figure out what the most Arabic/Korean/whatever culturally-appropriate answer is. This is more effective than it should be.
e) Take each question or set of questions on its own. Don't get overconfident if you think you are doing well, and don't get frustrated if you think you are doing poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Godholio posted:

This is the gayest thread in GIP. Congrats.
Somebody's just bitter about how terrible the AF thread is.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

buttplug posted:

Think I can get anybody to do me a serious solid and translate my bill for me from Korean to English?

I just moved into a new apartment and they itemize all of my utilities on one single bill... I want to make sure the money amounts look relatively correct and to make sure I'm not paying the building's management fees (landlord's obligation not mine).

Thanks!

Well, the top left item is "general management fee - 74,740 KRW" so I think you're getting scammed. I can give you a full translation this weekend if you'd like but I'm a bit busy at the minute.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

DoktorLoken posted:

No chance at anything else 35 series? Ouch. If you're in good physical shape 13F sounds like an interesting job. I mean, better than going from DLI to being an 88M or whatever a cook is, no disrespect to them.
Probably more interesting than 11B, at any rate. On the other hand, if you end up carrying mortar equipment that pretty much sucks.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Vasudus posted:

Haha are they seriously going to take someone with a TS and make them either 11B or 13F?

File that one away under fraud, waste and abuse.
You can probably assume he doesn't have his TS yet. Not even the Army is that dumb.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Professor Bling posted:

I'm more interested in the backpack thing.

The USAF: making thread title dreams come true since shame became an AFI violation
*shrug* One of my buddies when I was at DLI in 2001 had his car removed from post by security "because it was a bomb hazard". Stupidity never changes.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Buff Tannen posted:

Does anyone use OneNote?

My CMLI says it's the greatest language tool that none of use.
No? I dunno, I'm a lovely linguist, but I'm not even really sure what it is.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Africa needs linguists.

Oddly, French is actually not that useful in Africa.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Geizkragen posted:

Do you know something from personal experience that backs that up? Francophone Africa is covers a poo poo ton of Africa (and definitely all the hot spots)

Edit: and the French have been doing okay speaking French there for a few decades
Yes. Generally the people you're interested in don't speak French--Arabic is better, for most of the hot spots.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Geizkragen posted:

I guess it depends on your job and who you're talking to.
Should I assume you actually have experience in the area, then?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

somewhatpathetic posted:

I agree with it being absurd, but we wouldn't have been getting BAH there if we weren't TDY. And there is definitely more than 1000 folk owed the pay.. 1000 x 1000 is a million dude.
He's a linguist, zeroes mean nothing to him.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Super Camper posted:

Well the reason I ask is because from what I heard from several people, Cryptologic Language Analysts don't actually do any sort of intelligence gathering. They just translate. Which is why I'm curious as to what category of intelligence gathering it belongs under. To me, the Cryptologic Language Analyst position doesn't seem related to intelligence gathering at all, unless I'm not being told something. Its just a language translating job with a cool name. Nor does the Cryptologic Language Analyst job have anything to do with cryptology, cryptography, or cryptanalysis.
Maybe they're not telling you for a reason. :iiam:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Do you have a link?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

MegaJoe89 posted:

German language is so off our radar for operationally useful languages same with Korean, that we can just get a civilian to fill that slot if need be. Slavic languages/Arabic languages/Pashto/Farsi/Dari are the only ones we will shell out money for people to learn and we have a hard time with that.
Garmish has a very good language school, they teach all of those there. The reason the military hates money in that case is that they flew someone to Germany from Florida instead of driving up the road to Georgia or taking a shorter flight to Texas or Maryland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
There could be problems trying to go in-country for Farsi...

• Locked thread