Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
For those currently in language training: Have there been any changes at DLI now that Sandusky's out and Pick is in as commandant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

hammeredspace posted:

How about we don't send kids there fresh outta highschool and instead let them mature, like fine wine, in another duty station, and after they've proven they have the ability to not be reprehensible fuckups, THEN send them for language training?

That's kind of where we're going with the 35M MOS. Trying to, anyway.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
So, who was the student that got clocked in the head with a beer bottle by that wannabe hippy?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Comradephate posted:

or... just don't join the military if you want to spend your time doing drugs. (Which is completely fine) But really, there's no argument here. It's not like in civilian life where you are born into these laws and there's realistically nothing you can do about it. When joining, people have to consciously accept these rules, and say that they understand them.

Just don't do it. Doesn't matter if they can test for it.

Well said. There's that little oath we all took. Nobody forces you to raise your hand and mumble "...I will obey the orders of...the officers appointed over me..."

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Dirk Digglet posted:

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/07/tyler_tirado_moron_of_the_day.php

more on the story here. no names or branches though

That's the story that prompted me to ask the question...

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

Just passed my Chinese DLPT. 2+ 2+ 1+. I still hold I got screwed on the OPI, but I'm done. Next stop, Goodfellow.

祝贺, 祝贺!

Nice score on the DLPT V. That test is no joke.

GAFB isn't bad. San Angelo is no sprawling metropolis, but the people are friendly and there's good food to be had. The tap water doesn't even smell or taste as bad as it did a few years back.

I might run into you there. I'm road tripping down to brief all the cadre and students in the third week of August. Ask me if I have stairs in my house, and I might even buy you a beer.

Edit: If you're in the army, anyway. I made a blithe assumption. Not that I wouldn't buy you a beer regardless of your branch of service; it's just that the odds of us running into each other are reduced if you're not in the army.

GreenMeat fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 23, 2010

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Do you guys at least get to do the OPI face to face, or is it over the phone?

For the army, the only junior soldiers who take the OPI telephonically are the 09L recruits.

I am trying like hell to get G2 and USAREC to buy off on letting native/heritage linguists to enlist for 35P via OPI rather than making them take the DLPT V at MEPS.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

While your forebearers were slaying nazis, my amphibious brethren were dismantling the Japanese. However, San Angelo isn't a big town, and I might be out of here next friday, so if I get drunk enough to consider it a good idea to walk up to a random soldier and ask him if he has stairs in his house at one of the bars around Goodfellow, will do...

On that note, how is the nightlife around base in TX?

Not sure. One of my former troops is down there for training; I'll solicit a trip report. I predict his response as something along the lines of "depends on what you're into".

Sadly, it took me two readings of your post to get it. First time, I thought you meant you were Godzilla's sister.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

GetHardHero posted:

The chow hall is open that late?

More students than classroom space, so classes are run in shifts.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

So who got word yesterday at noon that he needs to report to Goodfellow next Wednesday?

Me.

I just got all of PCS'ing done in 24 hours. gently caress yeah.

Congrats! Have fun down there. The local population is far more military-friendly than the folks in the Monterey/Pacific Grove area, and there's good barbecue to be had.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

bloodpuke posted:

...So at his OPI, the teacher asks him about his heritage. He says his dad is American, and his mom is asian, wanting to avoid the topic. The teacher pushes him for several minutes, and he finally admits that his mom was Japanese. So the teacher gets this blank look on her face, and the next thing she said, she started asking him about dokdo island (which is a big sore point between korea and japan, they both say it's theirs). He got a 2, and we all know he got shafted. He spoke as fluently as our MLI, actually better, and our MLI got a 2+ on his OPI...

I have heard a lot of complaints recently from 35P and 09L soldiers that the OPI testers' personal beliefs are producing biased test scores. I talked to CSM Bragg about this last week, and will continue to pursue it once I get back from TDY. This is complete bullshit. I have 09Ls that went from a 3 to a 1 (in their native language) on the OPI in a year's time, apparently due to tester bias.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Dirk Digglet posted:

I'm currently in Chinese. Help me succeed.

Get a copy of The Lady in the Painting. Also, show a yearning to learn and at least one of your teachers will be willing to work with you during lunch or after class.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Slippery posted:

Yeah but guys like me can always redefine 'the mission' to include 'whatever else we tell you to do' :) but seriously I mean being in shape, training, etc is obviously part of the mission and blah blah you know what I mean

Well...maintaining PT at the DLI is important because being in shape is something that you can't ramp up quickly without injuring a lot of folks. The other military training can be accomplished in a relatively short amount of time at the gaining unit pre-deployment, and doesn't really need to be done at language school to the point that it detracts from the school's main objective.

There's annual required training that's mandated by regulation, but that can be concentrated and knocked out in sessions once or twice a month. Other than that, especially considering the expense, the focus at DLI should be language proficiency.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

There are a lot of sounds in Mandarin that people have trouble with too. The sounds represented by Ch, Zh, J, and Q inevitably all get turned into the sounds from the English words chew and Jew. Neither of those sounds are in Chinese.

Man, you should try learning Fuzhou. Front-rounded vowels, nine tones, a ton of tone sandhi, and it's spoken very rapidly. It makes you go home with an aching face for the first few weeks.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

gleep glop posted:

Ok Spergmaster Army goons, I'm confused. How many 35Ns go to the DLI? I've been told, by the same person, multiple times that I definitely will go, no 35Ns go, every 35N goes, dude you're going like next month.

QUIT loving WITH ME NATIONAL GUARD!

Active duty doesn't send them anymore. You have a little more leeway in the guard, but generally speaking the NGB doesn't send them either.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

TheUnhorse posted:

Colonel Pick is way classier than that. If any of you guys get a chance to shoot the poo poo with him he's an awesome guy.

He's head and shoulders above Sandusky, I'll give him that. Who's the CSM there now? I lost track after Clark.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Ah, it's CSM Bellotte. Met her in Iraq...meh.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

DoktorLoken posted:

I needed a 95 for a Cat I (French, Spanish etc.) language even. I'll get a DLAB study guide and retake it in 6 months. Although I'm definitely going to enlist in the Guard for something else in the mean time. Not the end of the world for me but still disappointing. :smithicide:

edit: Based on my Googling, it appears that it might be in the realm of possibility to get a DLAB waiver? I mean I'm only a few points off for Cat I languages. Will have to investigate further.

PM me.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
I hope all you army cryptolinguist dudes that took Chinese, Russian or Spanish recently enjoyed DLI, because the DA G2 has cut those languages from the army inventory. Look forward to going back for Pashto, Korean, Farsi, Dari or French should you decide to re-enlist.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

TheUnhorse posted:

What's the scuttlebutt on Arabic? I mean, poo poo's winding down but it's suspiciously not in either list...

Edit: Oh also, how's the progress on your 35P scheme? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nothing on the projected cut list except those that I mentioned. The 35P thing's kinda idling; we're gonna do an all-SIGINT-MOS review in a few months and discuss some possible courses of action.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Godmachine posted:

Regular Army may be different, but in the 'Guard, we can collect FLP from our first look if the score is at least a 2/2. Just don't expect to see it for a long time.

For active army soldiers, eligibility begins upon graduation of AIT, award of an MOS, and signing in to their first permanent duty station. AR 11-6 doesn't allow for back payment to IET soldiers.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

hostile apostle posted:

Article up at Danger Room on Linguists in the Army and wasted skills:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/08/lost-in-translation-how-the-army-wastes-linguists-like-me/

Great article. I have been struggling for two years now to get army force structure changed by pulling the 35Ps out of the BCTs and relocating them to positions where they can use their language. The proposed IROCs seem like a logical location, but I am hamstringed by senior GSs in TRADOC that are trying to build force structure based on how they remember SIGINT in the '80s. So far all I've managed to do is stonewall their attempts to get approval for force structure based on obsolete doctrine.

This article just underscores why the hell I'm busting my rear end to make this happen.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant
Well, I'm giving it my best shot. The new SecDef is all about language and cultural expertise, and the concept that a brigade of prevention is worth a corps of cure will hopefully take root. The idea of multifunction brigade combat teams involved in partner-building enterprises is a bold step in the right direction. Now I just have to keep pounding on the force design fuckers until they realize where linguists (not just 35Ps, but also 09Ls) belong in order to be fully effective.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

SumYungGui posted:

I want inside the heads of these people. Seriously, I want to know what kind of Lovecraftian mental state allows them to do anything at all other than look at a Farsi linguist in Korea and say 'this is just loving dumb, who is responsible for this and why isn't it fixed yesterday'? Help me out here what is there in the world that can possibly over ride common sense that strongly?

Not sure if there are currently any Farsi linguists in Korea, but there are plenty of Korean linguists in Iraq/Afghanistan. And Chinese, and Russian, and Spanish...etc. It's all about warm bodies. My MOS is way understrength, so it's hard enough to fill slots period, let alone w/ the right linguist. That's why so many of us are now expert 35Ns and crappy linguists.

When the IROCs come on line, they'll be an ideal place to put 35Ps, lining up their languages w/ the IROC's regional focus. At that echelon they'll still be available to be task organized by div HQ down to the BCT level if they need boots-on-the-ground linguists for LLVI or something, but we can make sure the right linguist fills the slot for whatever mission the unit's slated rather than the raffle system we've got going now.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

SumYungGui posted:

You apparently work with the guys who are making the decisions to put Korean linguists in Afghhanistan. What are their minds like? I'm curious exactly how they manage to convince themselves it's anything remotely close to a good idea.

No, that'd be HRC; they do assignments. And like I said, it's a matter of filling billets in units slated to deploy. They'd rather have a troop with the wrong language than an empty slot. Warm bodies.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

faddypaddy posted:

I arrived here at DLI on the 19th.

As your proponent life cycle manager, let me welcome you to the beginning of your transition from 11B to 35P, a change which I myself undertook many years ago. If you have any questions regarding just what the gently caress you're getting yourself into, hit me up and I'll be happy to help.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

faddypaddy posted:

Well for everyone coming out here, there is no more first look DLPT.

Excellent.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Professor Bling posted:

I've been here for all of two weeks.

Holy gently caress someone save me.

Divorcing yourself from the weirdness there will just give you more time to study. Get out of town every weekend; the folks in Monterey/Pacific Grove hate the military. Trust me; I've been there for three different languages.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't think this true at all. I mean the Greenpeace clipboard jockeys at the farmers' market would give me dirty looks if I had fresh hair cut, or was in uniform, but everyone else there was nothing but polite and friendly. I loved Monterey.

Yeah, I suppose things are different than they were in the early 90's, and the attitude has shifted away from the pre-war attitudes prevalent in the area back when.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Bellum posted:

Russian stays in Bravo now, with the rest of the European languages.

Haha, yeah, back in the day there were enough RU students for two companies. How times change...now we're trying to figure out what to do with all these RU SFCs that won't go away.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Gordian posted:

Phase 4 blows. Not only do I turn 21 during phase 4 I also can't grow a mustache worth a poo poo (but I'm still trying anyway because I finally can). Also, korean.

I turned 21 as a Korean student. All I remember is seven of us in a 1978 Chevette hauling rear end up the hill to the Presidio at 2 am because the driver was too wasted to deal with the stick shift at the stop signs. This was in '86 when DLI was an open post and driving drunk was no big deal.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Godmachine posted:

I graduated in Dec of 2010. I stopped back in to see me good friend, who is currently cadre in Delta Co, and he told me how lovely the place has become. The horror stories I hear about it...seriously, DLI used to be an awesome place.

Who hosed it up? Pick or Bellotte?

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

faddypaddy posted:

mandatory 4 night a week study hall for any student with below a 3.0.

There's huge pressure on me right now to stop granting grad waivers for any army student that scores less than a 2/2/1+ on their grad DLPT, so you fuckers better study hard if you don't want to end up with an MOS that you might not like.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

SirEverlast posted:

Is this 35P only or does it apply to 35M/35Ls as well?

Just 35P, as they're the only language-dependent MOS going through the school. The others can totally gently caress off the entire time and still progress into their language-enabled MOS, since there's no established proficiency standard.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

faddypaddy posted:

My problem with mandatory study hall is that it takes the commands ability to tell if they should LOA or LOE somebody out of the course. For example if a guy is failing but voluntarily goes to study hall and stays after class etc. then it is obviously a clear LOA. However, a guy who just fucks around and never goes to study but is failing is a clear LOE. Now they have taken away their ability to make that distinction which in my opinion will lead to a lot of people who should be LOE getting by with a far more lenient drop status.

I'll address that.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Bellum posted:

GreenMeat, what kind of MOS would we get if we fail?

Right now 35N is the priority, but as AIT class seats fill up, it becomes needs of the army. Since a TS clearance has been initiated, MOSs that require such are looked at first, but if there's not an AIT class seat open within a certain amount of time, anything goes. DLI can only sustain so many hold overs. Don't flunk out of language school.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

The Betrayer posted:

I'm sitting next to a dude in Starbucks with a Powerpoint open about the Differences in Management within DLIFLC Headquarters, Arabic, and Pashto Departments.

GreenMeat, if that's you, I apologize for screenwatching.

Hell no dude, I'm in Arizona. If you walked by the Bn S3 office this morning, though, you might have heard me on his speaker phone.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

faddypaddy posted:

Got read the memo today by the CO that basically said you are never ever getting a waiver ever for DLPT scores. Since now it has to go up to the MI center of excellence or whatever the gently caress that is.

Wow. I'm surprised they got the word out that quickly; I just held the teleconference about the change in waiver policy yesterday.

If you want more detail as to why this has come to pass, PM me.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

TheUnhorse posted:

Thank loving god. 2/2 is itself a bullshit score anyways, and DLI was turning out fuckers with silly poo poo like 0+/1 as "linguists." Sorry, if you're not at least a 2/2 by the end of your course, you LIKELY don't have what it takes.

1+/1+ has been the minimum requirement for waivers for 35P since forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

SirEverlast posted:

Greenmeat are you primarily stationed at Fort Knox?

I am not primarily, secondarily or tertiarily stationed at Fort Knox. I also owe you an answer concerning 35M and language, but to be honest nobody's figured out how that's going to work.

• Locked thread