Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

DoktorLoken posted:

Well, I scored an 88 on the DLAB this afternoon. Looks like I'm not taking a language coded MOS at this juncture. :v:

Oh well, I'll take a different MI MOS for now and then do some studying to retake it eventually. I understood the test and I did well on some sections, mediocre on others. I think I'll do well with some practice.

Any thoughts on 35F as an alternative? It sounds more desk bound than I want but still interesting to me.

As a Mike, I can tell you that being a Fox will be much more boring and less fulfilling. All the Foxes sit at desks all day and hate life. Are you required to get a DLAB passing score as a Mike now? When I enlisted, it was optional. PM me and I'll give you some alternative suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but here's a quick, somewhat off topic question for anyone currently or recently at DLI. I just watched the Mythbusters episode that aired on 5/18, and Adam and Jamie test a myth about hood mounted machine guns. For the test, they drive around an "abandoned military base" that looks suspiciously like Fort Ord (or at least what I remember it looking like from 3 years ago). It's the only "abandoned military base" I can think of anywhere near San Francisco, where they film. Can anyone confirm / deny if they filmed there? If so, did anyone know about / get to see the filming?

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Huh. Color me surprised. I'll re-watch it and try to pick out anything distinctive, but the buildings looked just like the ones at Ft. Ord (when I was there for immersion or visiting classmates who lived in the off-post housing area). It also struck me as suspicious that they didn't name the location, like they always do "XXX gun range, San Francisco Police Department's bomb range, etc.". That led me to jump to Ft. Ord because of the DLI association.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

The Fort Ord wikipedia says that its been used in the past for Mythbusters episodes. :iiam:

It says they use it for testing that involves driving cars. I'm near positive that was where they filmed that episode. Myth confirmed.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

Hey, is there a uniform store on DLI, and if so does it happen to sell Navy stuff? I'm tired of the uniform store on NPS being lovely and need to get some stuff before I transfer and actually have to wear a uniform again.

This is from 3 years ago so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure the ps on post sold uniforms for all services.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

The Casualty posted:

Looking for some advice from any CTI's in here.

I have a friend, who is currently a new reservist in ET A-school, and is multi-lingual (English, Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew, and... something else I can't remember). She's in the interview process with the FBI to become a Hebrew linguist for them, but she's also seeing if she could possibly go active and cross over to CTI to learn Arabic. She's apparently been in contact with an E-9 up here who says it's possible and is working with her. She should find out today if she can begin the process to upgrade her clearance to TS. She really wants to learn Arabic and thinks it would benefit her more down the line, but she thinks the money in the FBI would be better, and she will only be able to do one or the other due to her age interfering with the agent selection process (she's 35 right now, and apparently there's no reservist CTI's? I thought there were but hell I don't know).

So basically is there any advice you goons could give me that I could pass on to her?

My advice is if the FBI gives her an offer, she needs to take them up on it. That is a much larger hoop to jump through than anything military, and obviously will pay better. Also, if the FBI think she would be useful as an Arabic linguist, they will send her to school (I know there are civilians of some sort in classes). She'll get a TS/SCI w/ poly working with the FBI anyway.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

The Casualty posted:

She loves Rosetta Stone so I'm sure she'd be down with that. I'll let her know next time I see her.

I know in the army you can get rosetta stone for free off AKO, I would imagine there is a similar deal for the navy.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

The Casualty posted:

So my friend says she's most likely going to go FBI, but she did have one more question. What does a "contract linguist" do?

Most likely interpret documents, audio, or translate for people. If I discussed anything more specific than that I'd be afraid of breaching OPSEC.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Professor Bling posted:

Well I am literally on my way to DLI in all of six hours (Mandarin, for those wondering). How does DLI do Exodus? I'll probably find out on arrival but I'm super curious anyway.

Two weeks pass, if I recall, you get off at midnight the first day. I can't think of anything specific that is different.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

11 April 2008. In other words if you meet someone named Jonathon Truss, run the gently caress away.

Jesus. 1 month after I left.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

The only bright spot of going to DLI is getting mega-cheap rooms at the NPS to gently caress your girlfriend/boyfriend on the weekends and order Pelican Pizza (who also deliver beer).

Otherwise, haha, whatta shithole (though it's only a day's drive to Vegas so take advantage of those four-day weekends, nerds).

Also, Compagno's.

I want someone to deliver me Compagnos across the country. Like in a dry-iced container or something.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

CurbStomp posted:

Phase 4 Hooah?

But yeah I'm ready to phase up as well. I just feel bad for the people who are getting restarted. poo poo sucks.

Back in my day, there were only about eight of us at a time on phase four. I thought we were reducing our total strength, not increasing it :v:

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

...Is this satire? I legitimately can see this happening.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Duffle Blog is like The Onion for the military.

Got it. Is it sad that until the poster before me implied it wasn't legit that I totally thought that this was a thing?

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

I'm in Monterey this week for some NPS stuff and I looking for some good places to eat. I got a pretty good reply from one of the guys in the Navy thread but I figured it'd be kind of silly not to ask in here as well.

It's been a long time, but I'll tell you what I can about my old favorites. There's a really good breakfast restaurant across from the Mucky Duck, in downtown, but I can't remember the name. Someone else should be able to help. Also, if you want the best sandwich of your life check out Campagnos, right outside one of the secondary gates onto post. There's a good sushi place on the bay, and a good Chinese restaurant downtown called Full Moon.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Seconded. Even if they were normal soldiers (seamen, airmen, marines, etc.) that's not something I would put lightly. You likely need to be even more straightforward at DLI because (if your class is like mine was) it's full of socially awkward spergs.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

AchmedTheSnake posted:

Finally made it after my roll. DLPT coming up in 4 weeks or so. Im really nervous since I barely scraped by on my last reading test. I was wondering why DLPT scores don't ever seem to reflect class performance directly. I've been studying lots of multiple choice questions in hopes that it will get me used to it so that I end up doing really well. It's so hard to calm down for this test....

It may be stressful, but don't turn to prescriptions. My buddy took some Adderall the night before the test to help with his all-nighter. He passed with flying colors, but popped hot on the piss-test the day after. He spent a year on casual duty in Monterey (lol) and eventually got chaptered out with a dishonorable. Don't be that guy.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Androies posted:

God I wish I could have seen the look on his face the next day when he got picked for that piss test formation.

I didn't catch it myself, but I can only imagine. It's such an unfortunate story, as he was a gifted linguist, good soldier, and would have contributed a lot in the profession. It just goes to show that you can never drop your guard in a situation like that.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Veins McGee posted:

You can't get admin sepped with a dishonorable. It requires a general court-martial. General under other than honorable conditions is what you're looking for.

I stand corrected, then.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

It was definitely 3 male marines and a female sailor. The NJPs went down for the marines today. It sounded kind of like they took turns rather than all going at once. They were also drunk, and the sailor said it was all consensual after she sobered up.

Erm... if it was consensual, then how the hell can they charge them with anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Don Gato posted:

Is it worth it to drive down to Texas, and how is the military going to gently caress me over if I do that instead of just flying like a normal person?

I drove to Huachuca and it's a good deal. The mileage on your car let's you earn bank, and I think I was given 5 days to make it there. I drove to Phoenix in one day (my hometown) and hung out for four days drinking with my friends. Do it just to get on touch with your civilian side for a few days.

• Locked thread