Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

hammeredspace posted:

Is Crazy Cat Girl still there or did they finally send her home?

You've got to be more specific than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Slippery posted:

Nah, I never been within a hundred miles of that place. It's too bad if that's what's happening, and since i'm not there I guess I don't know. There's just a lot of 'O's get hook ups" comments and I always try to figure out WHY, that is, why anyone would hook them up.

You're in luck! When I was there (2005-2007) I asked "Why do the O's get hookups?" and I actually got a straight answer.

O's who aren't FAOs go to DLI for billet specific language requirements. requirements that are often times much less stringent than those for enlisted linguists. Given that the officers tend to be sent rather begrudgingly to language training, (due to cost) the emphasis is on getting them finished and doing their next job, rather than proficient by DLI standards. So when the military leadership is presented with a choice of whether to pull an officer who sucks at the language, or push him through with tutoring, they tend to come down strongly on one side.

Why do the civ teachers cut O's slack? Most of these people come from rather authoritarian cultures, and are no poo poo impressed by the shiny bars. They're human beings, and suceptible to things like that.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

hammeredspace posted:

Hell is other people.

Why do the most protracted tales of Byzantine woe always come from the Spanish linguists? Was it really that stressful? Could you not find that SAP button on the remote to make the Simpsons come out in Espanol?

You're my favorite NavGoon poster, but I don't get the angst.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
That's fair. I'm pretty damned good at Chinese, so my experience was mostly relaxed and a lot of fun. Also, everyone on my deck in the barracks was in an Asian language, so. . .different perspective. And I don't drink, so not a lot of pressure there.

I just reacted out of memories of bumping into Spanish students in the kitchen all "MY GOD! THE SPANISH! IT BURNS!" while I was on month 17 of 18, struggling to differentiate between 12 homonyms of the syllable "jie"

But I forgot about how Spanish can be the last chance for a lot of people, and how failure carries some pretty dire consequences above that of "no FLPP". Stressful.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
The mind, it boggles.

I saw a contract job come up with L3 as a MLI in Monterey. You would wear a uniform as a reservist, but get paid the fat contractor dollaz.

I'm thinking about taking it, just so I can spread MASSIVE disinformation about the fleet.

Kunia's great! We have mai tai breaks every hour on the beach!

Supportive chain of command!

Easy as pie to get orders anywhere in the world!

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

We had an MLI who took that dig. It is exactly as awesome as it sounds. I don't think he was even in the Air Force's command, he was just a guy in ABUs that worked for DLI.

Any idea how K Bay compares to Kunia?

It's pretty, and has decent facilities. Good places to run. The surrounding area has some of the best places to live for BAH w/o dependants, IMO. When you say K Bay, do you mean you have orders to the air wing? Because the non-air linguists in the Marine Corps have their unit based in Kaneohe, but work in the tunnel with the rest of us. If you are in the air wing, then congratulations! You have sucessfully bypassed 70% of the bullshit associated with the tunnel.

The only complaint I have ever heard about K Bay is that there are fewer training opportunities.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Depending on the language, they may be out of use entirely. Chinese threw out modules in favor of units. Don't ask me what the difference is.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Dirk Digglet posted:

I'm currently in Chinese. Help me succeed.

What's your problem? I started teaching subproficient folks about 6 months ago, so maybe I can recommend level-appropriate resources.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Slippery posted:

How is that getting hosed though,

Army interregators have to get a certain score on their OPI to finish DLI. It's higher than linguists. Also, I think there's a difference in being fluent in Chinese, and being fluent in the DLI Chinese of 50 yr old urban Chinese who left the mainland 20 years ago. And given that I have a 3/3/2+, I feel entitled to complain :)

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

hammeredspace posted:

Gonna plead the 5th/OPSEC here.

edit: and oh COME ON, sir: if you did your best in very specific training and the Army's only recourse for your failure was to tell you to go throw yourself on top of an IED wouldn't you call that getting hosed?

edit2: quing i'm gonna be paranoid and suggest you edit your post

The Army does that whether you pass your course or not.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I am burning with embarrassment. I took an OPI today, got a contractor to pay for it, and I done hosed it up. I only got a day to prepare, and I didn't prep the chickenshit level 1 questions. So while I discoursed eloquently on the tides of revolution in the Middle East, being asked to describe the scenery in Waikiki loving BAFFLED me. (What the gently caress does that mean, anyway? The tester specifically said, "scenery in the city", so she didn't mean the beach.)

Please share funny OPI stories and make me feel better. Or worse. Whatever.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I'm going for contractor jobs after separation, some of which require an OPI. And I agree, the structure is so contrived and subjective that I'm not sure what it tests. At least with the DLPT you can take it repeatedly and eventually see all the questions.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I passed one when I graduated DLI. I'm just complaining because I choked on my most recent one. Thanks, though.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

NomenNescio posted:

Are any of you guys CTI in the Navy? Where do you typically get stationed, is it primarily land or sea? I imagine school is pretty fast paced having to learn a language in such a short period of time but afterwards is it more relaxed? I know the AF has airborne cryptologists, is this a possibility in the Navy? That would be awesome! My recruiter doesn't know too much about it beyond needing to take the DLAB. Thanks!

I'm a CTI for 7 more weeks before I separate. You almost always get stationed on shore, at a base determined by what language you learn. On occasion, they give 1st term folks direct support orders, which mean tagging along with a ship or sub for a few months, then going back home for a while. 2nd tour, you can do direct support for sure, to include aircrew. Our version of airborne linguist isn't a specific MOS, so I would imagine type of orders would be a little more flexible WRT platform than the AF.

I found DLI to be a blast. The Chinese seemed to just fall into my head like nothing, and I spent a lot of my time screwing around the bay area. Language turned out to be a freaky hidden skill that I didn't know about. However, other people find it to be a constant crucible of pain and suffering. (Ask Hammeredspace) You won't know which one you are until you get there.

You didn't ask, but I hate my job. Lack of intelligence oversight, epic chain of command bullshittery, and lack of a substantive mission have made my experience hellish. I used to dry heave for like 20 min every morning because of work related anxiety. The Air Force has linguists who do essentially the same job as I do, but with a much higher quality of life.

Join the Air Force

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I've been on 6:30 to 2:30 for the past 2 years. There's a rotating shift schedule at my command, but not every shop adheres to it. And yes, I have plenty of time to dick around on the forums. I'm on shore duty, so I'm not at the beck and call of some plane's deployment/maintenance schedule. If you have a working hours preference, they try to help you out with that. (sometimes.)

I'm going the contractor route. It's not the pile of gold bricks people say, but it's pretty drat good. I'm also applying to a couple of investment banks doing intrusion analysis. I hope to join JP Morgan Chase in destroying the country.

I think the important thing to ask yourself is: can I wait 4 years for this to pay off? I got some kickass benefits from my time in the Navy, to include:

PRK eye surgery (currently 20/10)
a college degree with tuition assistance
a new car
a TS/SCI security clearance
fluency in Chinese
free cancer treatment
networking that helped me with my job search
$50,000 in savings

The downside is that my job sucked so much that I made myself physically ill with anxiety. If you can make a tradeoff like that, than go for it. If not, be an IS or CTN

EDIT: I don't mean to be that negative. You may love being a linguist, and be really good at it. It just wasn't for me.

ElHuevoGrande fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 8, 2011

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Barracuda Bang! posted:

What exactly was it that made it so bad that it made you sick?

Toxic command climate. My command is notorious for an adversarial, hostile atmosphere. While the job itself was just kind of boring, the people I had to work with made it hellish.

Aside from climate issues, the lack of organization made it impossible to get anything done. A few years ago, I went into the hospital for radiation treatment. When I got out, I had a message from my LCPO threatening to mark me UA for missing morning muster. That sort of Keystone Kops poo poo is funny at a distance, but when the Career Counselor is repeatedly trashing your paperwork because he has a backlog of command directed paperwork, it can push you to a nervous breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
It's true. I am the King Sperg.

• Locked thread