Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

It's definitely a tough call. I think van Buren was fairly happy as a solo rat, but I made sure he was always out with us whenever possible. He basically lived on our couch for the last few months of his life, and just went back to his cage to eat, sleep, and poop. He liked to just hang out under my laptop while I sat cross-legged on the sofa, and poke his head out occasionally to say hi.

Physical comfort is important - right now Garrus wants nothing to do with the other rats, and is MUCH happier by himself, but he gets cold easily without a ratpile to snuggle in. I wadded up an entire twin-sized blanket and squished it into his cage so he can burrow in.

I'd say try to keep her interested in things like new foods and exploring, and play with her a lot, and see how she does. Hopefully she will bounce back from her loss and be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

They'll poop on you less the more socialized they become - rats poop out of fear/stress, and it tends to be runnier than their normal droppings.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

dovetaile posted:

The ratlets are breathing much better today and I have another question. Will feeding them crickets [dead ones from the pet store; my brother has a beardie] have any adverse effects on them?

Nope! My guys love crickets and grasshoppers and such. Don't give a whole lot, they don't need that much protein, but a few as a treat is fine. Also don't give them the ones that have been gut loaded or dusted with calcium.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

JGBeagle posted:

Great, my rats aren't even a year old. Guess I might as well start psyching myself up for an inevitable tumor. :smith:

You may get lucky. I adopted three rats of unknown provenance that someone had dropped off at my local Petco, and two of them are going strong at 2 years old with no signs of tumors anywhere. The third passed away quietly in his sleep at 1 1/2 years old, never having had any obvious respiratory issues or growths. They could start showing symptoms any day I guess, but so far I've been fortunate with them.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Joker lost a noticeable amount of weight while I was out of town. I'm really hoping it was just that he didn't eat as much because of stress, because he seems totally fine - eating well, moving around fine, all the usual. No lumps or weirdness, no funny breathing. Just suddenly kind of skinny, where before he had a little bit of pudge.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I bought a bag of paper Easter grass today. I'm sure the boys will make an enormous mess of it, but they'll have fun, so I don't mind vacuuming it up. I'll tuck it in the cage later this evening when they wake up.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

You can name a boy rat Rita :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I always feel a little bad taking a dirty stinky blanket out of Garrus' cage because he works so hard to make a perfect little nest with it.