Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
The Bi-Odour finally arrived! Here's hoping it works as I've moved into a studio apartment and they are stinking the place out. Even with daily cleans! Is it still working for everyone else who has tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
Has anyone got any good ways of keeping their rats cool? It's pretty warm over here and the boys seem uncomfortable. They're all sprawled out trying to keep cool. :(

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
I've just noticed one of my boys has a half inch gash above his eye. Guessing they have been fighting. It looks pretty clean, but also fairly deep. I've given it a wash, but will make sure to keep a watch on it.
It's weird as he is generally more agro towards the others...Unless he has scratched the gently caress out of himself :/ He's got another hole on his belly too. :(

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
Awww babies! Congrats :) They are so sweet. Enjoy them whilst they are that small. I look back at pictures of my boys when I first got them and still can't believe they were ever that small.

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

How young are store-bought ones, usually? Will one of those work?

I'm pretty sure this varies. I have seen some tiny ones in our local Petsmart, but equally, they will sit there until they get sold. So then you're looking at some fully grown ones!
I'd say ask the assistants, but lets face it most of them don't know their arse from their elbow!

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
Photo dump!

David going for an adventure.

Austin getting in the rubbish.

David thinking about getting on the washing.

Ah yes, Pants!

Zebra print was his favourite.

Gordon, digging for treasure.

TREASURE!

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
Looks like it's a trip to the vets for all 3 boys this week for a teeth trimming. I've never had any pets that needed this doing, is it just a straight forward nail file in the mouth? Or will they have to be sedated for it? I can imagine they wont hold still for something like this.

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008

Chakattack! posted:

Is http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rat_cage/13281 a good sized cage for two rats? Now that I'm getting closer to finding myself some ratties I'm starting to look at this kind of thing seriously and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm sure there's no such thing as a rat cage that's too big, but I read somewhere online that if you have nervous rats having a large cage might make them more difficult to tame. I'm not so much worried about that as to how easy it'd be to clean a big cage though. Is that cage pretty average size, or pretty big?

That's the cage I'm probably going to wind up getting if it's alright.

Just saying, if you're willing to spend £130 on that, you might wanna look at the Explorer from this site. It's where I got mine. Much easier to clean, loads more space ect, for like £20 more.

http://www.petworlddirect.co.uk/acatalog/Rodent-and-Rabbit-Cages.html

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
Eruugh, sorry for everyone's losses! :(

On a brighter note, my boys turn one on the 10th! :) All doing amazingly well and have had no issues so far. Here's hoping this will carry on. Going to repeat what everyone else has said in saying, 2yrs is not long enough for these critters to live! :sigh:

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
Having a bit of a dominance issue over here. My boys turn one very shortly. But the two bigger ones are fighting each other for the alpha rat role.
This seems to be happening more and more. They have got over the humping thing, now it's turned into proper brawls. Up on hind legs, fighting like bears. I have to distract them at least 3 times a day. They generally quit and give in, and then it starts again a few hours later.
I'm well aware of which one is starting the issues. Is it time for the balls to come off?
I don't overly want to have to separate him if I don't have to. They have left each other with some pretty nasty wounds from this too. Help?! Please.

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
Right, the two boys (out of 3) are booked in for the 3rd November. The vet said to see how the other intact male goes. He may or may not start dominating the two who are being castrated. So, we shall see.
It's going to cost around £80 for the pair, which I was ready for, if not more than that.

Is there anything I should do for when they return? I currently use wood pellets to line the pans with. When it gets wet, it crumbles. Should I swap this to material for a while so they heal without getting stuff in their wounds?
Also, would the other boy be okay to be left in there with them? Or will they need peace n quiet?

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
Can rats get cataracts? One of my boys has had like permanent red eye since I got him. Not crusty or anything, actually behind the eye. Then I come home today to see the other eye has the same issue, except white. It's like light glistening on his pupil all the time, except it's in the eye ball. No swelling/crusties.
The other two are due to be neutered tomorrow so I will get him checked out. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
The temperature has dropped. So it's time to squish together!

Gordon on the bottom, Austin's side and a flash of David's nose.

Austin's head and David's butt.

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
I used Megazorb with my boys and had no issues. :) It's cheap, comes in huge bags and does the job well. Only downside is the pans for the Explorer cage are faaaar too shallow, so I ended up with mountains of the stuff all over the floor. Nothing a hoover couldn't fix though. As far as I understand it is just mushed up paper. :)I didn't bother freezing it either. Good luck, those are some very pretty babies :3:

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
:sigh: Sounds like Austin has some kind of chest issue. Making some very odd wheezing noises. Also Gordon appears to have a growth near where he was neutered. Almost like a 3 ball. It's very strange. :(

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
Hmm, one of my boys seems to be losing hair under his chin/chest. Is this normal? They are about 18months old. He does sound a bit wheezy. So I'll be taking him to the vet soon. :sigh:

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
I bought some baby food in the hope it would bulk my boy up a bit. (I am taking him to the vet next week!) But it would seem that he doesn't like roast chicken n veg flavour :sigh: Do I just buy others and hope he eventually likes one?

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
:sigh: It would seem my rat adventure is coming to an end. The boys are almost two and one is stupidly skinny, finding it hard to breathe and rather unsteady on his legs. I thought he was going to die in my arms the other night but he picked up again. I'm not sure he'll be around for much longer. Maybe it'd be kinder to put him to sleep? It's difficult when one day he struggles and the next he's brighter.
Also, it would seem they all have mites or some kind of little bugs, so tonight I will be bleaching, vaccuming and dosing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickle Chops
Sep 25, 2008
He died. :'(