Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Has anyone had to make a makeshift cage on short notice? I can't find anyone to take care of my boys while I'm gone so I might have to bring them with me. I have a small pet taxi to travel with them, but it's waaaaay too small to keep them in for more than just the car trip. I can't bring my normal cage because the drat thing is so big.

On another note, who else has problems with their rats pushing things off upper shelves? I feel like mine are super bare, but anytime I put something up there they shove it off almost right away. I'm afraid they're going to squish each other or get hurt falling with something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Thankfully, I found some one to watch my boys while I was gone. Now I have until November to find a smaller cage so they can come home with me over Thanksgiving and Christmas.

They did a nice redecorating number while I was gone though. Tissue everywhere, igloo and cardboard houses on their sides, litterbox in the opposite corner. They even buried one of the food bowls so well I thought the girl watching them had taken it out. Silly rats :3:

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Speaking of babies, the fish/rodent store near me has baby boys right now and I want all of them because they are so soft :swoon: and I have room for a billionty thousand rats (ok, really like 6 and I have 3 already) but I shouldn't get them because they will cost monies and my fattie will probably be mean to them... nnnnggghh please help tell me I can't have them. And I have to go back tomorrow to get an application anyway, so I can't just not see them. gently caress.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Well, as soon as it has gotten cold one of my boys is making the saddest wheezes ever :( And he doesn't decide to do it this morning, nope, I didn't see it until around 4:30, so all the vets are closed/ can't get him in. Oh, and I'm supposed to be going to a 3 day conference tomorrow. Please don't die Mr. Fredrickson!

What can I do for him until I can get him in tomorrow morning? I have some water bottles that I could heat up to put in there if he wants them and he's been huddling in his hammock. He's still eating, not terribly lethargic and he's not mucousy.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

All of my guys have had wheezing probs at some time or another. If it gets bad I always give them steam. Just take them in the bathroom and shut the doors and steam up the room while the rat sits with me for about 10 minutes wondering what on earth we're doing.
But try warming him up first, I say.
Warming up the room made him a lot better overnight. I still took him in and he got some dioxy, but I definitely need to find a new vet. The guy listened to Fredrickson's chest and told me that it sounded like his lungs were inflamed and rubbing against his ribs (??? does that even happen?) Then he went to do some research and came back. His words were "Well I was reading in my rat books, and it seems like something called Mycoplasmosis is really common in rats! He probably has that!" Yeah, no poo poo dude. "We have some antibiotics a guy in NY mixes for our dogs that has herbs in it so they get better faster! I'm sure it's fine for rats too!" No, you didn't even know what myco was, I am not taking crazy herbs from you unless I know what they are. Of course he doesn't know what herbs are in it. He was also fascinated by the idea of mixing medicine with baby food to get them to eat it. Holy gently caress dude, why the hell do you see rats in the first place??

Sorry for the rant, the vet just really pissed me off and I felt bad for bringing my poor boy to an idiot when he felt bad. And I can't even take care of him right now because I'm at a conference until Friday afternoon. I love my bf, but he is not as good with them as I am and I am worried about them (mostly because the space heater I have going may burn my house down :ohdear: )

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Big Bug Hug posted:

That sucks, I don't blame you for being cheesed off. I have birds as well as rats and its surprising how many vets don't know how to handle or treat birds either. I always ask "do you have experience dealing with rats(or birds, as applicable)?" Before making an appointment.

I hope your little guy will be ok. I actually have used Tetracycline from a pet store (packaged as bird antibiotics) for my rats in a pinch. It worked well for me. Maybe your bf could get hold of some of that? The stuff I have is mixed with their drinking water and they seem to like the taste fine.

edit: missed the part where you said you got Doxycycline(?) I'm sure he will be fine!

Yeah, the first question I asked when I called them (back in June, right after I got them) was if they saw rats/ had rat patients. I'm guessing now they just said yes so they could get my money, or they assumed it would be like a tiny dog/cat :downs: He's actually just fine now, he was pretty much 100% by Wednesday afternoon. I think he was just cold so now there's a space heater in my room (my goddamn roommates and our thermostat war is a whole other issue). I'll have to keep the bird antibiotics in mind if I need some again, but by the time I make it to town to buy them (~ 1 1/2 hrs to a well stocked pet store) I could probably just get more from the vet.

On a better note, my bf learned that you cannot leave the baby food in the cage if you are not directly watching it. When he looked back/when to get some more Percy had his whole head stuck in the jar and was covered in carrot puree. Silly rat that is for sneezy, not you!

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Two of mine stash their food as soon as I put it in their cage. I came in from class one night and couldn't believe they'd eaten all their food while I was gone, but the fat one was just sitting on it and keeping it all for himself in a corner. :3:
I picked up a Superpet cage for $20 off of craigslist last weekend. Whoop whoop, now I can take them home over break instead of finding a babysitter! My mom is terrified of them, so we'll see how it goes. Has anyone else taken rats on a long car ride (8 hrs)? They'll have the whole cage to ride in and I'll be putting a sheet down over my car seat. Is there something I should do to make them more comfortable?
I found pictures of them the other day when I was taking pictures of a spider.

Is that food? Are you food?

Go away.

Quick, make a run for it!

:downs:

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Does anyone else use this Eco bedding stuff from Petsmart? I got some because it was cheaper and was supposed to expand more than Carefresh and my fatty hates it with a burning passion. I come home everyday to find the food bowl full of it. As soon as I empty it he climbs down to the bottom and starts filling it up again like I'm supposed to get rid of it for him. It's not cutting his feet or anything, but I guess the thin edge could be sharp to walk on? It's been almost a month now rat, you don't even get out of the hammock, why do you care?

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
Mine didn't do it with the carefresh. Maybe a piece in the empty bowl, but this is ridiculous. Almost all the bedding will be in the bowl and on the shelf around it. It's just the one boy. I probably won't change it because as much as it frustrates me when I'm trying to see how much food they have, watching him carrying mouthfuls of bedding bigger than his head up and down is pretty funny.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
I've been giving one of my boys antibiotics since about the 7th and he's still not getting over his respiratory infection. I feel so bad too because he won't eat it and I have to manhandle him to give them to him. He never liked me as much as the other 2 and now he REALLY hates me and hides and screams when I pull him out of the cage if he sees the medicine bottle. Of course the other 2 are scrabbling at the bars to get out and get to the DELICIOUS medicine OMG GIVEITGIVEIT I just hope he gets better soon :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008

Jin Wicked posted:

Have you tried mixing the medicine into baby food or something else he likes?

Isolate him in a small cage or somewhere he feels comfortable, then feed it to him?

For serious cases we will combo oral medication with an antibiotic in the nebulizer.

My vet rents the machines, yours might too, you may want to ask about it.

Yeah, I tried several kinds of baby food. The first medicine had a nasty flavor anyway, so they gave us a different kind after I spilled most of it while trying to give it to him (struggling rat + open bottle on floor = bad). Now he's got bubble gum flavored amoxicillin (1ml 2x a day), pretty much the same thing they give to little kids. He took it for a while then turned his nose up at it again. He won't eat it unless it's pretty diluted into food and I don't have time to try to hand feed him that much baby food twice a day. If he's not any better by the end of this round I'll have to take him back to the vet anyway, so maybe they'll suggest nebulizer meds then.