Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

lucy's back is covered in like a rash or a bunch of scabs or something :[ she has been scratching a lot. :[ i guess im gonna go get that stuff for mites @ the petstore tomorrow. the other girls are totally fine so i dunnooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eig
Oct 16, 2008

all 4 of my rats i got off petfinder (2 diffy shelters/fosters) but then again i live in a major city :]

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?animal_type=Small&pet_breed=rat&location=philadelphia,+pa&startsearch=Search
^ i want to adopt all of them

eig fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 30, 2010

eig
Oct 16, 2008

are rats supposed to be as big as your head

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eig
Oct 16, 2008

i hope you guys have nothing against coloring your rat with food coloring cause maggie now a dinosaur :3 (its almost all faded away after like 2 days)

eig
Oct 16, 2008

food coloring !!!!

e: aka the same thign you use to dye easter eggs :xd:

eig fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 8, 2010

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

I was about to bitch you out for feeding your rats grapes, having heard that it causes kidney failure, but I guess that only applies to dogs. The only results I could find of rats and grapes after a quick google search was that grapes seem to protect fat rats from heart disease.

So, uh, feed on, I guess.

my rats love grapes and ate like half the bag, or atleast took them and hid them in my couch :ohdear:

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Don't refill the bowl until they've eaten everything. They won't starve themselves. They may hold out for a day or two, but eventually they'll realize nothing else is coming and they'll eat what's there.

Yeah this is what I do. :)

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Yarn! posted:

I live in a basement apartment, small ground level windows means very little natural light. How much natural light should rats get per day? Also, we have a nice backyard and use no chemicals on the lawn, would it be OK to take the rats outside and put them in a wire enclosure (supervised of course)?

will it have a cover? cause they can scale that :] i don't see why taking them outside would be an issue otherwise.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I've taken my rats on like 6 hour road trips and they didn't seem to mind. They just all went to sleep in their box. :) So just give them somewhere to feel safe since they can't wear seat belts!! :xd:

eig
Oct 16, 2008

so i just adopted a friend's roommate abandoned rats, cage & all. they're 2 boys and i already have 3 girls. my girls were kinda going whacko when they were near so for now i put the boys' cage in my roommates room since he's on vacation and i dont want crazy rat hormones everywhere!!!!

so how much should i keep them separated? i def shouldn't let my girls & boys be friends right <___< esp my like 8 month old girls who seem to be horny as heck!!!!! the boys are full grown, i'm not exactly how old they are, probably like a year.

edit omg the white guy is already bruxing an boggling :3

eig fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 27, 2010

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Ugh THEY ARE STILL IN THE OVEN i am seriously getting ready to just wring her out like a towel and make them go *plop* everywhere

IRL she's very close, it just seems like she's taking ages because she started showing so darn early.

Don't let them come in contact with each other EVER. Rats mating take like 3 seconds tops and can happen before you so much as blink. They can be caged in the same room, but no play time. They can even mate through the bars (I have personally had this happen) so don't let them climb each others cages either.

thanks. thats basically what i wanted to know. :-D the girls have had free range of my apartment but i guess ill have to figure something new out .... i dont think i want the boys kept in the basement O___O ill just need to make it so they cant get under my door and leave:)

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Thank you again. I am actually considering keeping the boys at my uncles since my cousins LOVE my girls but these guys are so much calmer an ill promise to go there to actually clean them and stuff... I dunno if my uncles would appreciate that though!! I just want thee lil rat dudes to be happy. :) My basement is unfinishe and smells musky so really that is a way last resort :-/

And also ahah that explains why maggie got so squeaky!!! But they seem to be calming down. :) I really didnt let them interact all.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Slidje posted:

I would pick neutering as my first option so then i would keep them all together rather than seperate cages.

x__x too bad its so expensive for a lil rattie. rather just keep them separated.

The thing is I let my girls have free range and if the boys' cage is accessible well, that's no good!!! I will figure something out I'm sure. :) I think I'll just need to make a blockade for my door case the girls can fit under it.

Again, thanks for the advice. :) These boys were rather unexpected !! No time to plan esp since I asked if they had huge balls and the guy was like "oh maybe they're girls" and then when he brought em over I was like yo those are balls. Good thing they're so lazy and fat and cute that I don't mind :3:

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Donkey Darko posted:

Getting them in a few hours, so bloody excited. Will post pictures once we get them home and settled.

Should I leave them alone for a while before handling them, or should I just give them a cuddle after they've settled slightly?

touch touch touch! the more you handle them, esp at a young age, the friendlier they'll be. :)

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Diluted bleach. :)

eig
Oct 16, 2008

they're so adorable and i guess soon to be delicious :-) wish i could make rat babies but i dunno what id do with so many rats <___<

edit: cancer is kewl

eig fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 17, 2010

eig
Oct 16, 2008

i have a ton of cords behind my tv and such which my rat ladies love to go behind (because theyre evil) but they have yet to actually chew any of those cords. :) one did however chew an ipod cord that was chillin on my couch but that thing is pretty thin :-/

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Haha, looking over the babies today, looks like 2 of them may molt out to be siamese. VERY RARE AND THE FRIENDLIEST BREED OF RAT GUYZ :downs:

I have a siamese... but my black hooded or whatever he is seems to be a lot friendlier. Linus generally just hides under pillows and blankets :-( Though sometimes he does sometimes come out to get pet :-D

eig
Oct 16, 2008

crazy8 posted:

I looked there,Oklahoma city is like a hour 1/2 - 2 hour drive for me,and all of those rats listed but one are adults and I don't see the point in buying an adult if its probably gonna die like 3 months after i buy it anyways.

i adopted adults and i still have one a year later :-) adults need love too, even if babies are super cute :]

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Are any of you city dwellers? What do you guys do with your deceased rats? I have no backyard for a pet cemetery. :-(

eig
Oct 16, 2008

ahahhaha i can't help but poke my girlies when they're in heat either. and then my boys walk by and they go craaazzzzyyyyy. ahahha it's the best!! i don't think youre jackin' off your rats though... just getting them aroused?

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I've taken my rats on a 8 hour car ride before (though it should have been more like 5.) They didn't mind at all and actually just slept the majority of the time :3:

edit and well I've also brought gerbils and a rabbit and dogs (though not all at once). Everyone loves road trips !!!!

eig
Oct 16, 2008

^^^^ oh my god :3:

but in other news..

:-( Bartmouse died... time to find a new friend for Linus. Maybe one day I'll get a rat with good genetics.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

BABIES :neckbeard:

PC020028 by danslelac, on Flickr

PC020016 by danslelac, on Flickr

PC020009 by danslelac, on Flickr

PC020019 by danslelac, on Flickr

PC020018 by danslelac, on Flickr

PC020029 by danslelac, on Flickr

Malcom, Reese, and Dewy. :) Heck yeah craigslist rat babies!! And big ole Linus, who was abandoned by a friend's roommate~

edit sorry about the poop, Linus was a lil anxious.

eig fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 4, 2010

eig
Oct 16, 2008

now you know how i feel EVERYTIME I WALK INTO MY APARTMENT and then agan WHEN I WALK INTO MY ROOM. :3: rats everywhere!!!!

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Does anyone know of an active rescue in the NJ area for rats? One of my friends is interested in getting a pair of cats and I am making him read this thread and trying to keep him from buying them from Petco if at all possible. All the ones I can find on google haven't been updated in 3 years and their forums are full of spam.

where in nj? i live in philadelphia and ive gotten my rats from a camden shelter, rat chick rescue in philly, and then just accident babies off craigslist :3:

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

We are around New Brunswick but that is probably close enough. I will let him know. Any contact info you can recommend?

I'm from right by New Brunswick! :-) Have you checked petfinder? Other wise you can send an application to Rat Chick Rescue and see what ratties the foster parents have. :-) Their list on petfinder isn't really updated often enough. :-(

edit oops forgot a link! http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

and heres some more resources ~ http://effyeahrats.tumblr.com/us

eig fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 14, 2010

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Rats are so amazing. @__@

My girl rats are jerks though the keep attacking my new oldman dog and making him run away :-( The boy rats don'tbother him atleast. :-)

eig
Oct 16, 2008

polyfractal posted:

Should I routinely collect the lab blocks my girls hide and put them back in the food bowl? Or just let them continue to hoard them in their various locations?

Are they hiding them in their cage or around your house? They know where they keep them, they don't need you to find them !!

eig
Oct 16, 2008

My late rat apparently ate my roommates cigarrettes (multiple times) v:shobon:v He already had a tumor growing though so he didn't have much life left anyway.... love u bartmouse

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

It's different for rats because a.) their poop isn't quite as easy to vacuum up as pigs (it tends to be more on the squishy side), and b.) rats are destructors. When I used fleece it'd be torn up and chewed through in about 10 minutes.

My rats' poop is 90% of the time dry. :confused:

Also I've adopted older rats and they rule. :o) More chillaxed than the babies I got after they passed.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I cover my wire floors with cardboard, phonebooks, or magazines so they can have fun tearing it up until I replace it with fresh papers. :-) Lot cheaper to use random circulars or boxes you're just gonna recycle. Also its p funny to put girl catalogs in the boys' cage.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Olive Bar posted:

Haha, thanks, all wonderful ideas. I think I'm going to go on a crochet bonanza and make removable panels for the floors. At the very least it will give them something else to tear apart.

You should def crochet some hammocks as well then!!! I have been meaning to do that... my girls liked the hammock before they ate it...(or peed on it too much? I dunno I threw it out awhile ago.)

eig
Oct 16, 2008

How much does it cost for tumor removal? @__@ Is it really worth it?

eig
Oct 16, 2008

This is the cage I have which I think is probably the smallest you should go for 2-3 girl rats. Then again, I let my rats out a lot. Also it goes on sale for pretty cheap. v:kiddo:v

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753300
(I don't use the dumb wheel and use a ceramic dish instead of the plastic one.)

eig fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 27, 2011

eig
Oct 16, 2008

SuperTwo posted:

I brought home two little 3 week old babies last night! They are from Bellaratta's Nest rattery. I had brought Mulder out to see her to be analyzed for his breeding potential and I fell in love with these two. Mom's already stopped feeding them and they are fully weaned. Bella knows about my history with young babies and trusts me to make sure they're properly socialized. They are already so sweet and really chill for their age.

This is Badger. He is an adventurous little Houdini but is completely chill with being held, he already dangles and is ok with being held on his back and having his belly kissed or tickled.

This little guy doesn't have a name yet! I've got a couple of ideas but nothing has stuck yet. I'm open to suggestions!

OMG little dude, lookit those whiskers!

Such a little kissy monster!

Awww, so sleepy :3:

So far I was thinking of these as names.
Arthur, because his Dad's name is Merlin and this little guy got his big blaze.
Jayne, because Badger is a character from Firefly (he was named after the animal though) and Jayne is a badass.
Bobby or Castiel to continue the Supernatural theme in honor of Sam and Dean. I miss those two so much. I guess Crowley would be appropriate since he's played by the same actor as Badger was.
I've already had an Alex, a Skinner and a Mulder so I'm pretty much out of X-files names for boys. I could call him Dogget but I pretty much prefer to pretend those seasons don't exist.
Like I said though, I have plenty of ideas but nothing has stuck yet so feel free to suggest something.

every single one of these pics make me want to die of cuteness overload

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eig
Oct 16, 2008

i'm sorry but who would pay that much money for a pet that lives only like 2 years u__u