Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Hi. I have 3 rats, all females. Their names are: Chuhi, which is the Hindi word for "female rat," her full name is Mme. Chuhi Jawla, which is a portmanteau of the name of this popular 80s Bollywood actress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juhi_Chawla. My other rats are Lili, who is a few months old and, uh...she's cream-and-tan colored, I'll post a pic when I can borrow a camera. The last one is C.C., who is a hairless month-old critter. She's very very friendly, despite having been abused - I work at a Petco, and she was returned by a girl whose boyfriend teased and hit the rat. I took the little critter home. I don't know why the gently caress people get animals if they don't care about them. It's not as if it's the situation with children, where, "Oh no, I forgot to wear a condom! Oh no, due to my religious beliefs I can't do anything about this." And then 9 months later a baby rat pops out, which you resent, but have no choice but to deal with. Anyway, below are pics of my other 2 rats and Gustav who passed away a few months ago - I let him go out like a loving king, btw.

C.C.

Chuhi after knocking over a beer and lapping some up (she was caught and stopped quickly!)

This was Gustav, with Meowley, the stray I nursed back to health. They were gay interracial lovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Cucarachita posted:

Oh yes I do believe she needs a buddy =D.

This is what my third rat looks like! I mean, exactly. I don't have access to a camera right now, but once I do, I'll take a pic of her.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
I was not aware of that. She was the first rat I had that was not a PEW.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Slidje posted:

Shoulder rides were hard

What up fellow Indian guy with a rat on the shoulder?

Obviously taken at a different time of year. Also, I must warn you, pic is very very large.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Prototypical posted:

I had this in mind when I saw this article today. Apparently they've proven that rats do demonstrate empathic behavior and help each other even when they won't get a reward for it.

There's also this older study that deals with generalized reciprocity in rats.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Apparently honey is loving scary. I just tried to offer one of my rats a little dab of honey on a spoon. He sniffed it a bit and then made a jump backwards like I had tapped him on the nose. Now he keeps doing it whenever I get close to him with the spoon.

:sigh: Rats.

Sorry, I know that this is several days old, but I had to reply. The first rat I ever had reacted so adorably, I now look forward to each new rat's first experience with honey. So, this rat was named Chuhi, and I decided to give her honey one day. It was on a spoon, and she sniffed it, and shoved her little face right in there. Obviously, she was not a fan of the stickiness, so both front paws came up to wipe it off. And then she put her paws back in the bedding, which made the bedding stick to her, as well. And then she making all these weird movements to try to get it off, all the while still licking honey that was in her whiskers. Almost every rat I've had since has also had a tarbaby sort of experience with honey. It is super-cute. Second only to blowing bubbles at rats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
What an rear end in a top hat and failure at making a statement. It doesn't vilify the other participants who are making the choice to put a rat's life at stake, or really give them a choice relevant to the topic at all. The topic is nominally the drone strikes taking human lives. His life is the only one that's his to offer, so what does the piece ultimately say except that he considers the lives of other creatures disposable?