Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE WORST DOCTOR
Mar 18, 2009
Hey everyone, first time rat-owner here. I just bought a couple of pretty ladies. :3: Moved them into their cage, and they're exploring, but I think one of them started sneezing. She wasn't when we got her, she just started to do it suddenly. I thought she might not have liked the soap I washed my hands with... Should I be worried? She's active, and doesn't seem to feel awful at all or anything.

edit: Oh, and I cut up some old shirts and put them down on the wire floor sections for now... could she be reacting to those?

THE WORST DOCTOR fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE WORST DOCTOR
Mar 18, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

That's a normal reaction to a new environment and can be due to stress, new bedding, etc. Give it some time, and she will likely adapt. If the sneeze starts to not sound right, she stops eating, or is lethargic then you should be concerned.

Also, some believe that rats kept in a cage with only bare wire floors can develop ulcerative pododermatitis, or as it is commonly known, "bumblefoot." You might want to cover the wire floors of your cages, you can use cardboard, linoleum-type tile, plastic needlepoint canvas, unprinted newspaper, etc

Okay, that's a relief. I'll keep an eye out. And don't worry, I've covered the wire floors. Thanks for the advice!

THE WORST DOCTOR
Mar 18, 2009
Sorry for all the newbie questions! How can I prevent my rats from getting mites or lice or whathaveyou? I've always been really worried about that sort of thing, even with my dogs. They just give me the willies.

Rats seem to be settling in nicely. The other one isn't sneezing, and as you can see we still haven't named them yet. I'll post pictures eventually.