Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cucarachita
Jul 21, 2009
I wanted to share our newest addition Princess Peach.

She's not entirely new, just our most recent addition. We've had her for about 3 months now, and she's just amazing. Originally we were going to look at the hamsters, but she popped up her cute lil head and she was just too frigging adorable and active to pass up, and I'm glad we didn't.

Yes we got her at a pet store (I know, I know, milled pets =\) but I'd prefer to have her then think she was feed to a snake.

She likes to monkey around her setup, its a bar cage with ramps that sits on top of a 20 gallon tank. Starter cages felt too tailored for hamsters and gerbils, so we went with this fairly cost effective option.

Aside from just looking so adorable all the time, I'm surprised at how alert they are. She was easy to tame, hangs with us all the time and the cats even like her. They are very intelligent, refreshing after having had hamsters so much of my life. She's a pet i never thought I'd enjoy so much, and she's just awesome.

I'll have to get some better pictures of her when she does her most entertaining things. My fave thing is after bath time, how fluffy she gets :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cucarachita
Jul 21, 2009

Rodent Mortician posted:

She would also like a friend, as rats are hugely social. :3:

Ya know we asked about that. We were picking up some cat food, and we happened to see another little cutey, she looked like Peaches but with brown instead of the peach splash, and I immediately thought 'that's my Princess Daisy!' but we were afraid since we got her from a different store, that perhaps there would be fighting issues. We asked how good of an idea it was and were told if we give her enough attention and socialize with her she shouldn't need a friend and boy do we ever. She's out with us pretty often, not a day goes by that I don't play with her or let her torment the cats.

Side note though, something I have noticed and has worried me a tad about her is a sneezing fix she seems to have acquired upon arrival. At the pet store they had her in what looks to be a papery bedding, and I bought her wood shavings because I find it easy to clean. Could dust from that possibly be causing it?

Cucarachita
Jul 21, 2009
That's one of my major concerns. When princess got home she had some eye issues. We've gotten that sorted out so its all right now. As far as bedding goes, they told us they don't sell pine or cedar due to the dustiness of the shavings and the respiratory issues known to lie with them. My guess is this stuff is aspen all it says it wood shavings so that can be who the gently caress knows. I'll look into getting her something different though, because my greatest suspicion was the bedding.

I'll definitely look into rescuing a little friend for her first. It breaks my heart to see the little ones at pet shops, because its not fair =\ they are so damned cute, and I hate to think someone with a python is going to take them home. It is what it is though, snakes gotta eat I suppose.

Cucarachita fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 30, 2010

Cucarachita
Jul 21, 2009
Alright, Princess Peach got a bedding overhaul. We got her the store brand paper bedding since it was fairly cheaper then the brand name colored stuff. I'm not big on colors anyways, although I may spruce it up with some at some point. I was hesitant about newspaper, I've heard the inks can be toxic, but I'm sure with as eco-friendly everything has gotten as of late it would be no issue.

Also on the lookout for our Princess Daisy! I'm about to cruise through Craigslist see if anything shows up (and have to sift through the animals I may want to bring home =\) Any ideas on reputable places to check out? For reference we live in Colorado. I'm not familiar with websites that would cater to this sort of thing, I doubt Petfinder would have too much about rats.

Oh yes I do believe she needs a buddy =D.

Edit: We seem to have found a breeder in our city and we are setting up an appointment to meet her rats.

Cucarachita fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 30, 2010

Cucarachita
Jul 21, 2009

alucinor posted:

Petfinder shows 7 rats in Colorado Springs, 3 in Golden, 8 in Denver, 5 in Ft Collins. Two of the organizations are rescues, the others are shelters, so the former may be a better bet.

Yup yup, took a look and I was surprised to see the Dumb Friends League had a few so I may check them out.

The breeder we ended up considering turned out to be a bitch and refused to let us actually meet a rat in her rattery and said we had to pick one from her site and she'd ship it to us....WUT. It's not a goddamned t-shirt, its a rat!

Cucarachita
Jul 21, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

A lot of breeders have closed ratteries and don't allow people in to control the risk of disease being brought in.

Totally understandable. Still seems iffy when I can't actually meet the little one I'm considering. I guess that's the way it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cucarachita
Jul 21, 2009
So I got a new Princess....Princess Daisy =D

I'll have to get a pic of her, she's friggin adorable and she's a baby :3:

I also sewed together 2 lil rat hammocks. Went and bought some discounted fleece I saw in various patterns and made them. Surprising what you can do with about 2 bucks worth of stuff. I want a giant one myself they look comfy >_>