Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I have two new ratty things! They're 6 month old sisters, and they're alternating between "I'm shy, don't look at me!" and "You have food? Awesome!"

I had a terrible time getting good photos but here's Bee:

Click here for the full 966x1288 image.

And here's "I need a name for you"

Click here for the full 1288x966 image.

What's a good name for a little dark rat? Nothing's coming to me. Bee's the more dominant and outgoing one, but I haven't seen any real fights yet, just lots of "Groom me - now!". They're both crazy for oatmeal, it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I've just been giving them little bits of whatever I'm having to eat, and I have oatmeal + pb every morning. Hopefully it will help make them more sociable in the daytime.

I tend to do pretty well at finding good names for my pets so I'm just waiting for one to come to me for the darker one. I don't think I could tell my Dad I have two rats named Bee and Jay! The dark one is SUUUPER shy but pretty cute, I think she may be the more cuddly one and Bee will be the one who runs off all the time.

She already found a hidey-hole I couldn't get her out of easily (space between my bed and the wall).

Click here for the full 1288x966 image.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I know but it's a spoonfull mixed in with 1/4 cup of oatmeal while it's hot so it's not like I'm giving them a huge gob of it. They're fine :)

On the topic of food, it's reccomended not to give them insects because of the chance of internal parasites, but what about crickets and mealworms from the pet store? I buy them for my tarantula and it would be nice to give the ratties a live treat once in a while.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Superconsndar posted:

Totally fine, they'll love them. :) I occasionally gave mealworms to nursing moms as a protein source and they went nuts for them.

I've had rats since I was 11, my mom used to bring in earthworms, grasshoppers, grubs or whatever she'd found in the garden as a treat. I hadn't considered the internal parasites thing though.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

One of my rats has a slightly goopy eye, should I try to wipe it away or just leave it? It's not crusty or building up, and there's no colour to it, just some eye gunk. Maybe she just poked herself in the eye or something?

Edit: Now that I look closer at her other eye, it's a bit runny too. Could she be sick?

Fat Dio fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Ah, I feel silly - she's dark, otherwise I would have seen the pinkish colour and figured it out. They were just babysat by a friend of mine for a week and probably didn't get out much. Her sister's fine but she's also calmer and more dominant, maybe less likely to be stressed out. I'll chalk it up to stress for now and keep an eye on her. Thanks a bunch!