Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I've had small furry pets for years but took a hiatus after my guinea pig died a few years ago from old age. Thanks to this thread I've been inspired to adopt rats. There is a local rat rescue and I have an appointment to see them on Tuesday :D I'm really excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I live in a basement apartment, small ground level windows means very little natural light. How much natural light should rats get per day? Also, we have a nice backyard and use no chemicals on the lawn, would it be OK to take the rats outside and put them in a wire enclosure (supervised of course)?

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I adopted 2 sister rats from a animal rescue yesterday. That are a dusty brown with white bellies and white gloves. I was only planning on visiting the rescue but when I held them one curled up in my pocket and the other say on my shoulder and chittered at me:3:

Now for my question: My aunt requested that I house sit for her for a few days. I want to take the rats with me, but I won't if the hour and a half drive would be too stressful. I do have a housemate but she isn't a pet person and her life is extremely busy right now. What should I do rat goons?

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I just got back from house sitting while leaving the rats with my brother for 2 days. My 2 girls seem just great, sleepy and still not used to me. When I reached into pet one she did something odd which her sister copied. It almost looked like she was huffing and squeaking very softly, this lasted for about 10 seconds. Neither seemed distressed, they were both nuzzling and sniffing my hand, and continued to eat their mini carrots after they stopped making the noise. What were they doing?

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I was walking on a nearby street this morning and saw 2 male white rats in a very large cage on a front porch. No shade food or water, I thought it was odd but kept walking. three hours later I came back the same way and the poor things were still out there and since was ninety degrees out they both were looking very poor. I called the police, and they said they would look into it. I hope the ratties are ok.

Update: I drove by and parked when I saw the cage was still outside. The rats were not breathing, I'm guessing the heat killed them. There is a police dispatch a block away and they couldn't send anyone I guess. I'm at a loss, I don't live in the best neighborhood and I didn't want to knock on the door. I wish there was something I could have done.

Yarn! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 9, 2010

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I'm a little worried about one of my girls. She is usually first out the cage and first to the treats but tonight she wouldn't come out of her cage. I eventually picked her up and she quietly sat in my lap which is also unusual for her. I checked her over, her breathing is fine, no wounds, her feet look great, no lumps or anything internal and she didn't make any pained sound when I picked her up or palpated her. Maybe she was just feeling quiet but I'm worried. :ohdear:

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I have 2 older rat females (about two years three months) named Kaylee and Coraline. About 3 weeks ago i noticed a lump on Kaylee, took her to the vet and was told it was a mammary tumor. the Doctor was very kind but told me it was expensive to operate, and since she is an older rat, it may not extend her life much. I resolved to give her as much love as possible until she was uncomfotable and then have her put to sleep. In anticipation of her sister being alone, I adopted 2 new female babies, they are sweet and taking to me well but haven't been introduced to the elder rats yet. This morning when I was holding Coraline, my other elder rat I noticed she has a mass as well on her belly. I'm really sad about this whole situation. I know that tumors are common in rats but I'm afraid I did something to increase the risk of cancer. I am going to miss them both terribly.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
Thank you all for the kind words earlier about Kaylee and Coraline :) They are both still alive and the tumor seem to be staying the same size and neither seems uncomfortable. Another good thing is that I just had first introductions between them and the new juvenile rats and it went beyond well. No signs of aggression from any rat, lots of grooming each other but not aggressively. If it all keeps going well than I hope to have all 4 in the same cage by the end of this week

The new babies

Battle shot!

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I am taking both my elder rats to be euthanized with a gas tomorrow at a local college who said they would do it at a very low cost. Tonight we are having rat hangout night with as much treats and cuddling as they can handle :) I'm feeling a bit torn though, one rat is pretty far gone, the tumor is big enough that she has to hunch up to not drag it on the ground. The other rat is doing a bit better but the tumor she has on her groin area is very hard and unmoving and fibrous. Am I an awful person for getting them both put down? With the rate it is growing the groin tumor will be bigger than a golf ball in a week or so. Both rats are in pretty good spirits but are tired a lot more than they used to be before they were ill. I just don't want them to be miserable and in pain, I also GISed 'rat tumors' which was a huge loving mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
My girls getting euthanized went as well as it could have. The lab tech who did it was very kind and cuddled them before they went in. It only took about 20 seconds and both rats just curled up in their fleece pocket like they usually do and went to sleep. I felt miserable the day the procedure happened but in retrospect, there wasn't a more pleasant option. On the plus side I bought a nice, gently used, 3 tier cage off craigslist that the young rats I have left will be moving into this weekend.