Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sushisleeper
Apr 3, 2010
My one female and neutered male rat escaped in the bathroom as I was cleaning their cage out. Balls, the male, came back to me after about half an hour of hiding out is some hidden part of a cabinet, but Rosemary is still in there.

I got a Havahart trap along and have been keeping the bathroom door closed at all times to make sure that Rosemary stays in the bathroom. She's extremely skittish and runs away immediately back into the cabinet hole.... so there's no way for me to get her out other than the trap.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a missing rat rescue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushisleeper
Apr 3, 2010
I found my girl scuttering around in the bathroom... thank god. but now my neutered boy is going to town on her. Is this just a dominance thing or should I be worried? They made rat love about 20 times in the past hour.

sushisleeper
Apr 3, 2010

Slidje posted:

What on earth are you doing, are you trying to breed them?

Haha, absolutely not. No way in hell do I want a 100 baby rat army in my tiny apartment. The male is neutered as stated above and he has only been so for about a month. I put them together about 2 weeks after his surgery to make sure that he wasn't fertile and the boy bits were all healed up.

They've been together for a week now since she ran away and I caught her. I'm seeing the rat humping behavior happen for about 2 hours straight at a time. I'm assuming that this is just a dominance thing, but kind of surprised to see it in a neutered male to a female.

I kind of assumed that neutered males were supposed to be really mellow/low agression/dominance. I'm thinking that Rosemary, my girl, is in heat right now since she was showing "lordosis" and doing the ear wiggle rat thing or if they are just sorting out dominance issues.

This is my first time I've had a mixed gender pair, so I was curious if any other rat owner had experiences with them. My previous ratties were a hairless girl and female pairs.

sushisleeper
Apr 3, 2010
Thank you for the responses everyone!

There is a lot of allo-grooming on the part of Balls towards Rosemary and flipping behavior. Balls usually flips Rosemary over and she will go limp, most likely to prevent any more dominance or a "you're the dominant one!" sign.
I just assumed that neutering would eliminate all sexual behavior in rats...

Rosemary has become a little more withdrawn and shy since she's gotten back to her cage after running away. Rats are really amazing creatures socially and behaviorally and adorable to boot.