Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, my two girls don't seem to mind car trips, either. My Mom theorizes it's 'cause they are in their own territory in their cage so they still feel safe. Not like stuffing a cat into a hated carrier. Woo boy my cat hated that.

First Time Caller, Slidje is right (as usual!). They're just sneezing and sitting up top 'cause you just got them. Mine didn't stop power sniffing and sneezing for the first few days after I got them, it's pretty normal.

Slidje, I can't believe how much time & attention you give your rats. But one of your older videos totally pushed me over the edge into getting Ripley and Vasquez, your rats are always so squishable and take the petting so well. My girls very rarely hold still for face mushing, hopefully they'll chill more as they age.

Superconsndar, I came here for rat baby pictures now WHERE THEY AT? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

Awwww, wee paws and whiskers! Thanks for posting those. They're adorable.

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, fer real, enjoy them while they're tiny and hold still once in a drat while. I remember when my girls could only zip around for 15-20 mins at a time, then had to crash for 5 mins. So cute. Of course, once they're older they don't take cute naps but they do get a lot smarter and start recognizing their names and MOST IMPORTANTLY they stop pooping a billion times a minute.

My girls are quite small at 8 months (fully grown?). Could that possibly be because they were only fed food blocks at the pet store in their youth?

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

At first we put our leetle rats in the tub, then graduated them to the run of the bathroom, then the larger rooms in the apartment once they would come when called. I suggest locking them in the bathroom with you for play time, where they can't really escape -- though make sure to check under cabinets for holes! Our otherwise nice looking apartment had ugly random holes all up under the cabinets that I had to block off. So glad I didn't have that experience of losing a rat in there, who knows where the hell it goes.

Our girls don't show interest in toys when we're around, I think we're just way more interesting and/or it's day time and they are sleepy not bored. I know they play with everything at night though, 'cause I can hear them.

Slidje, I can't believe you raised a pinky rat, holy poo poo. You are the rat master. I'm sure Zoomer did have the best year any rat ever had.

Along the same vein, I do try to feed my rats the best I can 'cause I know they have such short life spans. I try to give them something different every day, something out of what I'm eating, fruits, veggies, sparing protein. I want them to have the most experience they can get outta life, which is also why I take them out places. My Mom thinks I'm a little nuts, but at least my boyfriend understands. I think once you observe rats closely you can't help but realize how intelligent they are.

I have a hard time making mine go back into their cage at night, now that I know exactly how much they love running around the apartment. Vasquez watches me wherever I am and will sit with her face mushed against the bars in the closest corner to wherever I am giving me puppy dog eyes.

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

We call them chicken feets. :3:

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

I'm sure I wasn't the only one to make a special ratty platter of a tiny bit of everything from the bigass Thanksgiving meal today. Vasquez immediately started trying to stash mushy mouthfuls of casseroles and dressings into her favorite corner.

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

Took a couple pics of our ~1yr old girls today. It was nice out so we brought their cage outside with us for a while, where they proceeded to try to sniff up the entire atmosphere. It was so cute. :3:

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

Alhara, what kind of bites we talkin' here? Like did he draw blood or was it sort of a hard nom and then a confused look when he realized you weren't food?

Squid fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 23, 2011

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

tse1618, like others said, just enjoy the good days while you can. Sounds like he's had a good long life. Hope he perks up.

Good luck, Rathen. Hope she comes through with flying colours.

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

Good luck and positive thoughts.

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

The fur on one of our 2yr old lady rats, Ripley, has slooowly become very coarse and, well, hairy. She also has recently developed a bald, scabby section on her side. I was lucky enough to find a fantastic vet (Champagne at the Carrollton West Pet Hospital in Dallas). She mentioned just offhand that sometimes that odd coarse hairy texture, especially where the guard hairs got a lot longer than the other hairs, could sometimes be a sign that something is wrong with rats. I'd never heard that before, so thought I'd pass it on. Ripley's been on antibiotics for about four days now, and suddenly today I noticed that her fur was way more sleek than it's been for months.

The antibiotics seem to be perking her up a little for now, too. Hopefully we'll get results back early next week from the skin samples the vet sent out.

It was amazing to have such a wonderful vet take care of her, seriously. I've had various small animals for my entire lifetime and never saw better. She and an assistant were so careful when they examined her and used the tiniest tweezers to get hair samples. They never once used force on her or pinned her down. Ripley only squeaked when the vet was palpating all her innards, but it was brief. I am really relieved that she doesn't have any tumors. I had prepared myself for the worst, since the pair of 'em are two this month. I'm still worried that she'll never get over this scabby bald thing, whatever it is. =(

Urgh, in addition to the antibiotics I get to rub a cream on her scabbiness once a day. She better be appreciatin' all this. You know you care for someone when you're willing to rub ointment into their gross sores every day while they rapidly suck their eyeballs in and out at you. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

Big Bug Hug, you're doing the right thing. I hope you can take some comfort in that. I'm glad you have younger rats, hope they help you through.