Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Pretty much all rats have myco. They just display it/ tolerate it differently. Some have constant flare-ups and some barely suffer from it.

Your rat might adjust. I have a lone boy who lost his cage-mate and he was depressed for a while but sees to have perked up. I would have gotten him a friend, but I knew this group was going to be my last.

If she is self mutilating though, I would think about bringing in a companion.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I should clarify, supposedly all pet rats carry myco, but not all display symptoms. Some are vulnerable to flare ups or even constant problems.

So passing it from one to a other isn't an issue, but it still pays to get them from a breeder who has bred the healthiest rats that have the least respiratory issues.

If that makes sense.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
OMG look at that fluffy rat! :3: hes gorgeous. Would love to see more pictures of him.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I always limited my rats to a couch or bed, and they never figured out the floor was even there. They were fine running around as long as they wanted, and couldn't get lost or eat things they shouldn't. They were boys though, females might be more wily.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Not many rats take to balls anyway.

On the upside, I think rats can be content with supervised play wherever they're put - stick 'em on your desk, sit with them on the couch or carry them around in your hoodie. Especially if they have a big cage, they don't seem to care about much more.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

aerique posted:

So, the new arrivals are here! We have never seen these multi-colored bald apes before so we're keeping the cage closed for now.

https://theta360.com/s/byr4m7RI0HjgBHwo6XVGbj6x6

That image is really cool. What did you use to take it?

PS. cute rats!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Not sure about the tail, but as far as putting them in together, I would give it a try. That thing the vet said sounds bogus to me. I mean sure, some rats might pick on a weak one, but I've never seen it. And you're introducing babies right? I think it'll be fine. Just obviously keep an eye on them.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sorry :( It is always a hard decision to make.
I have heard (don't know from experience) loss of use of the front limbs is an indicator of a brain issue like a pituitary tumor. Either way, it doesn't seem like something they can recover from.
You're giving him a gift by letting him go before he's in pain or has an emergency. I hope that's some comfort.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I find they do it more when they're younger, it improves a bit when they get older.

I think the little spots are like marking, and they msy never stop that. Mine always stopped leaving big puddles unless thry couldn't get back to their cage in time.

Edit: I've only had males, for clarity.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 28, 2015

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
It must be a fit rat indeed if he's gonna live 3-5 years.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Two rats take up the same amount of space though? And it's really important for them to have cage mates.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Many, many female rats get tumors, and operations are common. Obviously it's not without risk, but people do it all the time especially with young rats that have a lot of life left.

She may develop more down the line and it will be a choice whether to operate again. Supposedly getting them spayed helps prevent mammary tumors. I'm sorry about your girl, that really sucks.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yep rats are pretty resilient when it comes to tumours, it's probably not even hurting her. I had a rat that had a tumor for 8 months (he was too old to operate) and it never bothered him or impeded his activities.
If she chews or messes with it, it might be bothering her but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Hind limb paralysis is a rat's badge of honor. It usually means they've lived a good long life. And I have had rats that have lived quite a few months with it. You might have to make adjustments to his cage (remove ramps, make it one storey). My oldest boy insisted on climbing even though he was dragging himself around, and slid down his ramp a few times before I removed it.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I have had two old rats live a relatively long time after developing tumors. They lived to 2 yrs 8 mths and 2 years, 4 mths old. Neither seemed in any discomfort, or I would have euthed straight away. I'd been so upset but their lives weren't cut that short anyway.

Try not to stress too much, give her lots of treats and enjoy the time left with your girl.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
If you feel like it's time, then it's time.

MrFreeze: I've had a young rat (10 wks or so) pass in the same way, I figured it was something with his brain. Horrible, but over quickly.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm facing the same soon with my last rat. It doesn't ever really get easier, but I have to say it is better when it's not a rushed, stressed decision. Sorry about your boy.

I think I'll be extra sad when my boy goes, because I know we won't be getting more rats. I'm going to miss their little fuzzy butts.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
The "we're all in a slightly stressful situation together" factor works, too. I used to take all my boys on a trip to pick up new babies. I put them all in the carrier together. By the time we'd get home they would all be snuggle buddies. (Might depend on rat personalities)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I have never heard of such a thing as young rat food. I'd just switch to the one they like.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Probably a mammary tumor which are extremely common in female rats. They can often be surgically removed, but sometimes recur. Getting a rat spayed cuts down the likelihood of getting them. There's a lot of info out there on them. Good luck!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I have a senior rat (3+) and he gets baby food, grapes and peanut butter on toast.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Awww :3:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Jack I love your rat

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I enjoyed that documentary, thanks!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I confess to having made tiny sushi more than once :)

More than a year after my last rat, I still hear a rustle in thethe house and think it's them. Or almost save a paperbag or left over chicken bone.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 28, 2017

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I was wondering if any of you guys impose intermittent fasting on your rats. I recently started myself, and I was recalling how there's a lot of research on rats and mice and how much longer they live when they fast on and off. If I still kept rats, I might have tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

The Snoo posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but what does a nakey rat feel like? and also why do they look so wrinkly in comparison to furry ones
I missed this but I had to throw in my answer.

Balls. They feel like balls.

(Ok they only feel a little bit like that. They are very warm and sweet :3)