Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
I've been using Suebee's diet for about 6 months now and it works fabulously for some of my rats, but I've noticed two of mine mostly ignore the dry dog food and concentrate only on the seeds/grains. Anything anyone would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Your one rat looks just like a mini possum! :3:

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Tee shirts, a futon, blankets, bed covers

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

As a previous rat owner who can not have rats currently, I'm living vicariously through your pictures :3:. Moar!

Edit: saw this on a friend's Facebook and had to share! http://db.tt/9wl68ypI

Beowulf fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 12, 2013

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Fraction posted:

Alright, so has anyone got any tips for catching a really loving fast rat? I've managed to get Stumpy out of the cage twice, and she's been here over a week now. I feel pretty bad about it, but holy gently caress she is fast. I don't know how a three legged rat moves so fast. I've never had problems catching skittish rats before, even terrified baby rats that fell on the floor and had to be grabbed before they became dogfood, but I just cannot grab this slippery little rat and it is infuriating.

It doesn't help that I'm scared of squishing her because she's so small and only has three legs.

I had a rat from pet smart that wasn't properly socialized at all and was the same way. I think she may have also been partially blind but it was infuriating trying to catch her. I usually just left the cage on the floor with the door open abs she'd get back in eventually. This was in a secluded room, however. Good luck!

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

If you have to keep your rats out of reach of cats, and you don't have one of those critter nation cages, I put mine on top of one of those plastic 3 shelf units from like home depot or Lowe's. It's tall enough to keep them mostly out of sight and mind of the cats, and there's really nowhere the cats can jump to paw at them.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Not The Platypus posted:

We have a bar-chewing problem.

The girls have learned that we dont like the godawful bar-chewing noise, so they wait until the lights are out, then gnaw on the bars. They have plenty of other things to chew on -- wood toys, cardboard tubes, tennis balls, a palm-leaf piņata full of treats... but they want to chew on the bars. Due to current circumstances, the cage is in our bedroom, so we are a captive audience for this nightly symphony.

Any tips on how to get them to knock it off?

Mine used to do this as a "we're bored, play with us!" thing. You could try seeing if that's what they want, but otherwise I didn't have any luck getting them to stop :(

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Also, if you have another cage to put any other rats you have into, put her open cage near wherever she spends most of her time hiding. Worked for me when I had a rat that refused to come back to me after playtime. She smelled her litter and went "home" Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

I've found it also depends on how hard/thick the plastic is. If it's good quality and thick, they find it a little harder to get their teeth on it. Metal is probably the way to go though.