Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Superconsndar posted:

It's freaking awesome. By the end of the week, when it was time to clean the cage, I could only detect the absolute faintest smell and only if my face was practically touching the cage. Love ittttt.

I had my wife stop and get some earlier this week and it seems to be helping, I haven't cleaned every cage yet so I'm sure most of what I'm still smelling is the uncleaned couple of cages. I don't like to clean the cages with newborns if I can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck
Back when I was a teenager a friend of mine had a BIG rat I mean BIG. This baby could lay cuddled on my arm and his head would rest on my palm and he was as long as my forearm AT LEAST not counting his tail, I'm gonna say he weighed 3 maybe 4 pounds, he was WAY bigger than any rat I've -ever- seen, his body was the size of a football maybe even bigger.

She called him a Belgian wharf rat, but all I know is he was at least twice as big as any rat I've ever seen and I see a lot of rats.

Any ideas? Just a "healthy boy"? or is there some other type of rats out there you just never see?

Her dad worked for a shady portion of the government and always was off in strange countries doing things he couldn't talk about and he brought this back after an assignment, not sure where.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Big Bug Hug posted:

Thats funny. What color was it? Maybe it had been bred from wild rats (sometimes called Wharf rats?) Giant rats would be pretty cool >.>

It was just rat colored, dark brown, seems like it had some greyish markings, more like speckles not splotches. Mighta had some white on the belly (this was 20 years ago).

It was the most lethargic lazy thing I ever saw, it'd eat, and sleep, that was about it, when you held it it'd hardly move, kinda slowly climb up on your shoulder maybe but the most laid back animal ever. But as an avid herpetologist, I've seen LOTS of rats, and since my biggest current snake is an 8 foot boa, I buy and actively seek out the largest rats I can get my hands on (I dread using bunnies as feeders). The biggest "jumbo" rat I've ever found is at least half the size this monster was.

New topic:

I used leftover grains from brewing beer this weekend, it was roughly 2 pounds of dark roasted barley malt (Imperial Stout yeah), I added whole wheat flour, about 4 eggs, some leftover eggdrop and chicken noodle soup (instead of water or milk cause I'm out of milk and I had some leftover soup that needed using up), then I baked it. Anything likely to hurt a rat in this mix? If so my dogs will love it too, or my goats. Wonder if my turtle would eat it (I'm kidding).

OH yeah I threw the eggs in whole, shells and all, here's a picture for fun:

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Superconsndar posted:

wild color is called agouti

So is there a rat that gets that damned big? And is Chong (of Cheech and Chong) level mellow? Cause I wanted this rat BAD he was cool as hell.

If I can find out what he (maybe) was I'll start searching for one. He'll live like a king trust me, no boas in his future.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

EVG posted:

Maybe it was a gambian pouched rat? Different species, but looks pretty much exactly like a pet rat made huge.

That this chick called it a "belgian wharf rat" but it really was a "gambian pouched rat" would not surprise me ONE BIT.

quote:

In other news, found the coolest water bottle (also something that the crazy rat lady who told me about Bi-Odor had).

It looks awesome because you can fill it from the top and not need to remove from the cage (except for periodic cleaning of course).

I normally won't shop at PetCo, but I'm willing to go there to pick one of these up.

http://www.petco.com/product/108714/Super-Pet-Top-Fill-Small-Animal-Water-Bottle.aspx

The reviews on this site were mixed, but the rat lady had at least 1 on each of her like 20 cages, so they can't be too shabby!

In other news, if it had a straight, not slanted watering tube, I'd get a few. I have these:

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Rodent-Cages

with the 500ml bottles per cage.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Amiss posted:

Well, that caps it-- someday, I am going to get a giant pouched rat, and I am going to name it Beef.

I have my mission now.

I'm betting this is the rat she had, this was in the early 90s and her dad would have easily been able to bring such a thing home as part of his travels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Superconsndar posted:

training lures for the dogs

What sort of training requires rats or mice? What kind of dogs?