Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I've been eyeing this thread for almost a month and would like to get a rat. In my area (rural VA) I could find no listings in the paper, yellowbook, or online for a small rodent breeder or rat rescue. The closest one is like 3 hours away.

Is buying two rats from petco really that bad? If I want that route is an immediate vet visit following the purchase recommended?

edit: didn't see the post on the last page somehow. so get some rats. Vet visit still recommended?

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Amiss posted:

The three in VA on this list-- too far away? Too shady? Too..?

http://www.ratster.com/breederlinks.html

Sent the one in Blacksburg an e-mail, didn't see that site. There's no updates on her site since May about any planned litters so we'll see.

Still 2.5 hours away but I guess that'll do

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 24, 2010

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Is it OK to have the ramps and middle floor in a rat cage be made of wire or do they need to be solid ( can that cause bumblefoot?) or does just the floor of the cage being solid matter?

Also should I have one food dish / 1 water bottle for 2 rats or should I have 2 of each?

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 24, 2010

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Got my rats today :) Adopted from someone needing to re-home on craigslist. 2 males, one white with a black stripe down his back, and another solid grey. I'm calling them Ender and Bean.

They seem to like their new cage, however one has been on the top floor of the 3 story cage the entire time. Is this a normal thing? When should I start to be worried if he just continues to stay up there? I've had them for about 8 hours now. I don't think he's eaten or used the water bottle at all yet, should I put a food dish / 2nd water bottle up there if he refuses to use the one on the first story?

Also how much bedding do rats need? I know hamsters like to have 2 inches, same for rats? (It's at one inch right now, wasn't sure)

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

CompactFanny posted:

It's perfectly normal for them to utilize only the top level. Sometimes just until they get more comfortable, sometimes forever, usually the former.

Should I keep the second food dish & water bottle up there for him or not? I fear if I take those away he won't use the ones on the bottom level and just go hungry and get dehydrated :ohdear:

There's not much room up there where he stays, its not an entire floor its just a balcony that ramps up from the second floor. It's the Petco Rat Manor cage.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Since Bean never comes down from his balcony, Ender decided to pay him a visit...

...and teabag his face with his enormous nutsack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

My rat who always chills on the top floor all the time? Could it be because he doesn't like the bedding I'm using? It's Carefresh Ultra and as soon as I put him in the bottom floor he started sneezing like crazy.