Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

MissConduct posted:

How does one perform a "Rat Hemlich"?

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/choking.htm

Someone in the previous thread actually had to do this. "The Fling" worked and the rat was saved! Pretty scary stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Bumblefoot is caused by dirty cages, not wires. Wires are just uncomfortable, but if you cover them, you're fine

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Mine will chew anything with a rubber texture. Pencil erasers are some kind of delicacy :pwn:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I have a rubber rat. I was taking Boo out of the cage for cleaning when the phone rang and scared the crap out of both of us. She flew from my arms, bounced off the dining room table and ricocheted off the chair and bounded off the floor like a beach ball.

That's the end of my story.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Carebear posted:

She licked me right before I took her out of the cage to do it. :gonk:

Goddamn. I am sorry :(

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

eig posted:

Are any of you city dwellers? What do you guys do with your deceased rats? I have no backyard for a pet cemetery. :-(

I take mine to the vet for cremation. They'll offer to give you the ashes.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

quote:

From Left to right we have The Doctor (neutered male agouti berkshire male), Donna (masked female), and Noble (hooded cream dumbo)

:stare: Holy moley, Donna is the prettiest rat I think I've ever seen!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I've been struggling with some feelings for a couple months now. When it was down to my last girl late last year, I once again entered the part of the cycle where I adopt new rats and introduce them to the old. I got three young rats from a local shelter and they are as sweet as can be.

But it was different this time. When the old rat finally passed around Christmas, my enthusiasm for keeping rats seems to have died with her. They live such short lives and I guess the constant grief has finally wore me down. I dutifully clean the cage and interact with them but I just cannot become attached to the newcomers. When I'm with them I just wish I had the old rats again and they deserve better than that.

I think its time to move away from rats but I'm paralyzed. The best I can think to do is check this forum and then post a craigslist ad. How do I know when I find someone who will really take care of them?

I live in downtown Chicago and I have this Critter Nation cage (the double size):

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21359&cmpid=08csegb&ref=3312&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525387417

If I found someone I knew would love them, I would give them the cage and all supplies in a heart beat.

Christ, I feel like a bad person just posting this :smith: Has anyone dealt with this before?

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Someone responded to my ad (like, within minutes, seems kinda odd).

Its a lady who says she already has 13 rats at home. A crazy rat lady? Should I be worried or grateful?

Someone else responded with a long run on sentence with no punctuation or capitalization. I guess good grammar is not required to be a good pet owner but sill...

I've never re-homed an animal before, I feel like a balloon filled with anxiety.