Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
I was all set up to adopt a pair of boys, first rats I'd been able to have in several years, when circumstances beyond my control intervened and now I can't get them after all :smith:. I was so jazzed about this; I feel like I'm in mourning now, even though I hadn't even met them in person (ratson?) yet. My boys :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Hi rat people, I have a question. One of my girls, Razor, has been sneezing a LOT today, like every thirty seconds or so. The sneezes are really loud and wet and kind of squeaky sounding, not like normal rat sneezes at all. Other than that though, she's acting perfectly normally. No gasping or wheezing, no porphyrin stains, no rattling in the chest, and she's alert and active as usual. Could she just have something in her nose or something, or is this something to really worry about? Oh god, please don't be myco... :(

None of the others are sneezing like this. Should I quarantine her?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! She seems to have stopped sneezing now, so I guess I was just freaking out over nothing. Phew!

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Well, I have some lovely news. Two days ago, my oldest rat (Buttonwillow) died suddenly. She was pretty old, so I was sad but it wasn't completely unexpected.

Today, the second oldest rat (Marsha) died the same way Buttonwillow did. She just kind of slumped over, seemed to lose some control over her motor functions, had some trouble breathing, and eventually died at the vet's office. The vet doesn't know what killed her, but she said it seemed to be neurological, since Marsha was acting pretty dizzy and her pupils were dilated.

Now I'm not only grieving for my elder rats, I'm terrified for the younger two. They seem fit as fleas right now, but so did Marsha last night :(. I wish I knew what was going on, but the vet has no answers and I can't afford a necropsy (400 to 600 dollars!!). All I can think to do right now is watch the little ones like a hawk and spoil them rotten just in case they're about to die :smith:.

This sucks so, so much.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Big Bug Hug posted:

Oh man that would totally suck.

Don't lose hope - if your older rats were closely bonded its possible Marsha just gave up after she lost her cagemate :( Its not uncommon - I half expect my Jack to go soon after Basil does.

I would just clean and disinfect the cage and hope for the best. I'm sure your little ones will be ok.

I hope so. They're fine as of this morning. I am giving them so many treats and hugs.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

SuperTwo posted:

Thanks, there's some good news. His breeder's not sure at this point whether it's time to PTS. She's going to re-assess him tomorrow and decide. She might watch him and his cagemate for me while I'm away, treat him with heavy antibiotics and get an x-ray done to see what's up. It could be an internal abscess or potentially not interfering with his organs too badly in which case it might be operable. She works with a vet that is really experienced in rat surgery. Since he's 2 now I don't think I really want to go that route but I would hate to do a PTS, then open him up and find out it was an abscess that might have responded to antibiotics.

I hope he responds well to the antibiotics! Having to euthanize is just the worst feeling. Good luck!

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

So, one of my girls (Jeepers) was just seen with a bunch of foamy, mucussy spit drooling out of her mouth :confused:. Has anyone ever seen a rat do this? Is it vet time? She's not choking on it, and she doesn't seem to be acting sick. It's just... there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

Update: Jeepers appears to be fine. She was probably choking on something just before we took her out of the cage. It wouldn't be the first time; she's a big fatty and doesn't chew her food enough.