Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Are strawberries okay? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

After not owning a rat for a few years, I have a rat named Captain James T. Kirk (I didn't name him) who is probably the most affectionate rat I've ever had.

He has a few personality quirks I've never seen in other rats I've handled or owned.

1 - When he's out of his cage, he does not wander very far from me. When I move or make noise, he races right back to me. Other rats have done this with me before, but he does it like clockwork.

2 - He's extraordinarily affectionate. When I handle him, he nuzzles right up near me or in my lap and keeps looking up at me. :3: He loooooves getting his fur scratched and gets this blissful eyes half closed look when I pet him. He will very often fall asleep on me. He is unusual in that he really goes out of his way to nuzzle up to me - I've never had a rat that was this eager to bond with me. His favorite spot to fall asleep is nuzzled up near my chest when I'm laying on my bed or the couch.

3 - When he is feeling comfortable around me and not sleepy, he is hyperactive and playful beyond belief. He will chase my hand and spaz out like mad, playing tag with my fingers and darting around in circles. But he always darts back to me to nuzzle up in between going nuts.

Normally the rats I've owned, while they do display affection, they are often more preoccupied with exploring or other things. This guy seems to want to nuzzle up to me more than he wants to do other things. :3:

It also helps that he's a large rat who is a big fuzzy soft well-groomed fluffball.

Money shot:

The camera in this shot kinda made him look smaller body-wise than he is. He's a very large rat.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 18, 2012

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

My rat has something important to say to you all:

9b wefffffffffffffffffff ;''.'; asaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm not sure what that meant, but maybe someone fluent in ratglish can decipher?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I learned a thing the other day from reading some stuff about rat vision and their whiskers - that if a rat's whiskers are removed, a rat in water will be unable to swim/float and drown. (Because they use the whiskers for guidance in water and knowing when their nose is above water.)

Rat whiskers will grow back but be careful with them. Especially if there's stuff that they could get burned by - keep them far away from candle flames and hot stuff.

Fraction posted:

Hey guys I heard girl rats are active, curious, excitable little things.

...I think y'all lied to me. :mad:

Of course as soon as I put them back in their cage after their almost two and a half hour long snooze outside of it, they start play. Rats.

Ah yes but rats ultimately have their individual unique personalities.

Or your ratty needs some rat vitamin supplements.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 19, 2012

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLC386VEfMs

This guy is also probably the most affectionate rat I've ever owned. I didn't even know rats could display affection the way dogs do until this guy - he will come up to me and lay his head on me, waiting to be scratched behind the ears, just like my neighbor's dog. He also will squeak in an audible pitch as if to say 'that's the spot' when I'm scratching him. What really makes him stand out as affectionate is that he will actively press his body against me when I'm relaxing on the couch or my bed, a bit like how dogs often do. Other rats I've owned were more keen to explore, but this guy seems to just dig spending time with me.

When he's on my very soft bed he'll also sometimes get sleepy because it's so comfy, and then go into 'rat flatfish' mode - where he will flatten his body down and rest for a bit, seeming to really enjoy the soft bed surface. Then he'll get up and waddle a few steps away, and lay flat again, enjoying the bed. After a while of doing this he either nuzzles up to me for petting or falls asleep.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 21, 2013