Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
One thing I saw that was incorrect in the OP - Harlan Teklad does sell their blocks to retail consumers now. You can buy a 50lb bag for $25 (about $40 shipped) from Amazon under the name "Native Earth".

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Earth-Protein-4018-Rodent/dp/B00132ROS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1277337135&sr=8-1

EVG fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Grimster posted:

So is there a rat that gets that damned big? And is Chong (of Cheech and Chong) level mellow? Cause I wanted this rat BAD he was cool as hell.

If I can find out what he (maybe) was I'll start searching for one. He'll live like a king trust me, no boas in his future.

Maybe it was a gambian pouched rat? Different species, but looks pretty much exactly like a pet rat made huge.

In other news, found the coolest water bottle (also something that the crazy rat lady who told me about Bi-Odor had).

It looks awesome because you can fill it from the top and not need to remove from the cage (except for periodic cleaning of course).

I normally won't shop at PetCo, but I'm willing to go there to pick one of these up.

http://www.petco.com/product/108714/Super-Pet-Top-Fill-Small-Animal-Water-Bottle.aspx

The reviews on this site were mixed, but the rat lady had at least 1 on each of her like 20 cages, so they can't be too shabby!

EVG fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 30, 2010

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Wow! I love her flips (although unintentional) and how she climbs down the pole / chair legs. :)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Superconsndar posted:

I have no patience for medicating rats. I scruff a rat, stick the syringe behind their teeth, squirt it in, and continue scruffing them until they inevitably swallow. Dicking around mixing it with stuff and trying to get them to politely eat it is so much :effort: in comparison.

We found an ingenious medicating idea online from the Rat Health site.

http://ratguide.com/meds/figures/giving_medications_figure_1.php

Basically, you make little medicine "cookies" for them, with a touch of flavouring extract to make it extra desirable.

For example, our rat that weighs about a pound, and the rat health guide prescribes 10MG of amox twice a day. So we mixed one 500MB capsule worth of meds with the mix, incorporated completely, and then split into 50 "pills" of equal size.

We froze the extra pills against a similar situation after Kata finished her dose. Worked like a charm and cleared her right up, and the hardest part was keeping the other girls distracted.

It was easy to get the medication too, because for some reason my husband's doctor wrote a script for amox when he was sick, and included refills. It was really cheap even without insurance.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Oh god, Rat Kisses. Be careful. I leaned in too close to say hi to one of my girls (the sweetest thing) and the must have smelled food on my breath or been confused, because she LATCHED onto my lip and gave me a big tear pulling away.

Ow, it hurts remembering it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

KariOhki posted:

Usually every couple of weeks on cage cleaning day, I take the whole thing outside and hose it down and give it a good scrub. Well it's ticking into the colder months now, and I was wondering what you guys did for a full cleaning on a cage when it's 10 degrees outside.

See, this is why I'm a huge fan of fleece bedding and litter training. My girls all know to poop in the box, and while they do piddle on the fleece, it's MUCH easier to clean the cage when you can take out the blankets, shake it off into the trash or out the door for bits of food/detritus, toss the fleece in the wash and pop the cage into the shower. You still need to give the cage a good soaping and wipe down, but it's very satisfying to not have to scrub poo off anything. And with no paper/chip bedding of any more, there's nothing to get wet and nasty and caked to the bottom of the cage pan.

Plus, fleece blankets are cheap and they last a long time - big bottom pieces get chewed? Turn them into shelf pieces. Chewed more? Turn them into hammocks. Chewed to bits? Who cares, it was cheap.

It's been ages since I read this thread so if everyone here already uses fleece, then good job, and I feel like a moron. :)

Just got 2 new rescue girls a couple weeks ago, and remembered this thread was here. Will try to get pictures tonight. Need help with finding names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I think paper bedding smells vile (carefresh), I won't use wood chips/shavings, and pressed paper pellets I use in the litter box make too much of a mess (plus gross cleanup scrubbing it off the pan). I find any bedding starts to become... fragrant.. after about a week, so I go with fleece as no stinkier than anything else, and much easier to clean. Plus, it looks nice! Maybe I've just been lucky to have rats that aren't very chewy.