Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.

Invalid Octopus posted:

Gave the girls an egg today for the first time. They had fun.

Oh god. :3: :3: :3: More pics of people's rats getting treats, please!

Somewhere in the back of my mind, despite what I promised myself after the last ratling passed away, I think I know that I'll be getting rats again someday... I'm so glad this thread exists so I can live vicariously until that inevitable day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Bear Rape posted:

They're REWs... When I do anything with the cage she rocks back and forth a little uneasily.

Sounds like she might just be swaying due to the poor vision that's common among red/pink-eyed rats. It looks weird as hell, but it's normal! It's the same as a pigeon's head bob. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Relevant to our interests

Anyone ever had something like that happen?

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Jin Wicked posted:

You could dab a drop of food colouring between their ears or over their tails. I think it would stain the white fur easily.

I think I convinced neongrey to do exactly that a couple years back, and it seemed to work out okay! They'll groom it off eventually, of course, but at least it's edible.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Bear Rape posted:

Rats are seriously smart, now if they could just use that for sniffing out cancer and bombs* instead of trolling you/other rats...

*I think some rats can do that though, like those Gambian pouched rats that look for mines.

They can also detect tuberculosis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoRvdyuHxdE

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Enter Char posted:

spade rats

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

^^^ Sleeve rats are the BEST.

roads posted:

I've seen little pet corrals at the store for kids, I thought about trying something like that. It's basically a little fence that you set up around your animal area. My biggest concern with this is that it looks like it's only about 8" tall, which seems really easy to climb over.

Maybe look for small animal playpens like these:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14629
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6265

The 1" bar spacing on those two could be a bit wide for squirmy young rats, so you might try looking for something with better spacing online or at your local pet store. Or you could do what I did and MacGyver a solid playpen out of cardboard, duct tape, and huge binder clips. It was really easy to fold up and tuck under the couch when not in use. I never left my boys unsupervised, and they weren't especially enterprising anyway, so I wasn't worried about them chewing their way out through the cardboard. Just don't underestimate how high a rat can jump! Those playpen toppers could prove handy, if your girls are especially nimble. That said, even if you do get a great playpen, it's always a good idea to keep an eye on them while they're in there, just in case they get any ideas. :ninja:

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

sweek0 posted:

Gary looking like an airplane.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pew! Pew! posted:

I got myself a mostly-naked dumbo that I'm planning on having neutered so he can hang out with my girls.

He's really young, I'd say less than 2 months. He was at a rescue and I just couldn't leave him there once I visited.
So now he's got a bigass cage to himself and I really want to get him fixed soon so he can have girlfriends. :3:

He is AWESOME! :swoon: Can't wait to hear what you name him.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Olive Bar posted:

Have a rat.

His fur is GORGEOUS. :swoon:

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Olive Bar posted:

I forgot, at the last minute before the mask went on I was scratching his ears and he boggled at me. I'm sad to see him go, I'm going to go home tomorrow and its just not going to seem right without him for a little while. The doctor gave me the option of a medication that would have given him maybe 3 more days, I think that would have just been kind of selfish in his state, so I made the other choice.

Rattes, a constantly broken heart. Pet your rats people.

You made the right choice. I'm so sorry, Olive. Hurley was A Good Ratte.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

This is an excellent precaution against RES, but you really can't be too careful...

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

What a lovely rat bouquet! :3:

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Fraction posted:

Bonus video of Stumpy.

Stumpy is so hardcore! :black101: What an awesome rat.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Why Rats Sniff Each Other

quote:

In initial observations, Wesson saw that when one rat started sniffing another's body or behind, both rats ramped up their level of sniffing. But when one rat started sniffing the other's face, the other rat typically backed off and turned down its level of sniffing.

Further investigations showed that dominant rats (larger, more aggressive ones) didn't tamp down their sniffing, and sometimes increased it, when a subordinate rat sniffed them in the face. But when dominant rats started smelling their subordinates head on, and the subordinates failed to cut back on their sniffing, the top rats were quick to engage in aggressive behavior (kicking, biting or jumping on the other rat). The results suggest that sniffing can help high-ranking rats assert dominance and allow subordinate rats to appease their superiors and prevent aggression.

Wesson saw the same results when he inhibited the rats' sense of smell, which bolsters his claim that there's more to sniffing than odor-detection. And when he gave some of the rats oxytocin, a brain chemical that's been shown to enhance bonding and ease the pressure of hierarchies, these sniffing displays and aggression vanished.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

More of this little lady forever. :allears:

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Thems some gorgeous rats you've got there. I love their different eyes! :allears:

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

And stuff their faces full of (healthy-ish?) treats during forced socialization, so they start to see you as a source of Good Things. Rice Krispies or Cheerios are usually a favorite.

Also, your rats are super cute, so you'd better protect them from ERS! Exploding Rat Syndrome can happen any time, any place, to any rat whose adorable face isn't making enough appearances in the rat thread. :ohdear:

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Patchouli Patrol posted:

Because Invalid Octopus and her fellow are bad influences, we are adding a sixth rat to our collection.

Her name is still up in the air, but I'm tempted to call her Fletcher. She should be big enough to come home by the end of the month!

Smudge! Name her Smudge! :3:

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Patchouli Patrol posted:

The eerie part about that is that I once played a D&D character with a familiar that was a rat named Smudge. :tinfoil:

Ha! Obviously I am a wizard. :toot:

(Fletcher is a cute name too!)

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Can you get rat-sized cones of shame?

Looks like it! :3:

But they'll probably hate you for it.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Jin Wicked posted:

Has anyone successfully isolated an extremely elderly rat?

I have a female going on 3 1/2 years, and free feed her a lot of high-calorie foods to keep her weight up. (She is amazingly healthy other than her weight.) Her cagemate is about 1 1/2 years, and has grown so fat she resembles a round ball of fur with a head and tail. She will literally steal the food out of the elderly rat's hands. She bullies her occasionally, too. The elderly rat is missing fur from surgeries that never grew back, and I've started noticing a few small scabs here and there. Nothing major, but the elderly rat is very fragile. I'm leaning towards isolating the elderly female and just keeping her with me a few hours in the evenings. She has always loved human attention, and never seemed too attached to a specific cagemate. Either that, or getting her a baby companion (maybe 6-8 weeks) that would be less likely to scuffle and aggressively eat all of her food. Thoughts?

I had to isolate my elderly boy from his two younger friends towards the end of his life, yeah. They were too rough with him, and he got disoriented by their energy too easily. While it wasn't ideal, he seemed okay with being alone, but he had also been living alone for a while earlier on before I got the two younger boys to keep him company, so maybe he was more used to it? It's doable, just give your old girl extra attention whenever you can, I think. Probably better that she has a quiet, safe time in her golden years than to have company that adversely affects her health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Any tips of things to look at with rats in petshops?

My first two rats were from a pet shop, and one of them lived a year longer than either of the two rats I got later from a breeder. He was a wonderful little guy.

Put your hand in the cage and choose the rats who come up to investigate, not the ones who cower away in terror. You can of course socialize fearful rats to come out of their shell and be just as lovely and affectionate as any other rat, but it can be hard work that sometimes doesn't pay off.