Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Could one of you enthusiasts give me a quick breakdown on the significant differences between the SD4000IS and the SD1400IS? Obviously there is price and MP (I realize it's essentially insignificant.)

The most significant thing to me seems to be the low-light performance of the SD4000IS is superior to the 1400. One question I have is I noticed the high fstop on the 1400 is 5.9 vs only 5.3 on the 4000. Will this result in better performance by the 1400 in very bright situations? I live in the desert and the sun is absolutely brutal, so good performance in extremely bright situations would almost be preferable to good low-light performance.

SD4000 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD4000IS-Digital-Optical/dp/tech-data/B003L77Y5S/ref=de_a_smtd

SD1400 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD1400IS-Stabilized-Black/dp/tech-data/B0035FZJJ4/ref=de_a_smtd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

greasyhands posted:

Could one of you enthusiasts give me a quick breakdown on the significant differences between the SD4000IS and the SD1400IS? Obviously there is price and MP (I realize it's essentially insignificant.)

The most significant thing to me seems to be the low-light performance of the SD4000IS is superior to the 1400. One question I have is I noticed the high fstop on the 1400 is 5.9 vs only 5.3 on the 4000. Will this result in better performance by the 1400 in very bright situations? I live in the desert and the sun is absolutely brutal, so good performance in extremely bright situations would almost be preferable to good low-light performance.

SD4000 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD4000IS-Digital-Optical/dp/tech-data/B003L77Y5S/ref=de_a_smtd

SD1400 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD1400IS-Stabilized-Black/dp/tech-data/B0035FZJJ4/ref=de_a_smtd
The apertures on those lenses are the largest apertures available at focal lengths, not the range of aperture the lens is capable of. So at the wide end, the SD4000 can open up to f/2.0 and the SD1400 can open up to f/2.8. At the long end, the SD4000 can open up to f/5.3 and the SD1400 to f/5.9. Both can go smaller anywhere in their zoom ranges, but that is their max. Usually the max aperture will change a few times through the zoom range, like say 24mm-35mm will be f/2.0, and 35mm-55mm will be f/4 and then 55mm-72mm will be f/5.3 (just hypothetical and in 135 equivalents, I don't know the actual demarcation points for either of those cameras)

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

spf3million posted:

The most popular ones seem to be the SD1x00IS lineup. Right not the SD1200IS is $150, SD1300IS is $180, and the SD $1400IS is $220. These are your standard, go-to, simple pocket cameras.

My problem with this series is that the dynamic range still kind-of sucks. I am looking for something that won't nuke the highlights and completely burn the shadows. With the SD1200IS the contrasts tend to be somewhat extreme. I'm guessing the best P&S for high-contrast scenes would be the S90 or G11 because of the better sensors and RAW capabilities. Could anyone confirm?

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro
Just throwing this out there in case it can be of any help to others trying to make a decision. Since all the cameras I was seriously considering have at least one (potentially) glaring flaw for my personal taste, I decided to buy a bunch, test them out, and return all but one. As a way to be more thorough in my efforts, and potentially help anyone interested, let me know if there are any specific questions you might have - things you want me to test out and the like. I'm by no means a professional, so I'm sure on my own I could easily miss something that might be a deal breaker for others.

Anyways, the 4 I have coming to me are:

Canon S90
Canon SD1400
Panasonic Lumix ZS7
Casio Exilim FH100

I should have them on Tuesday, and all next weekend I will actually be at a local music festival (Friday night outside, indoors the rest of the weekend), so I figure that will be a good place to try some things out and see there limitations. So hey, request some specifics if you'd like and I'll do my best to get some test shots for you all.

Beer Coaster
Jul 30, 2002

On newegg.com, promo code EMCYVZP77 is good for a $50 discount on the Canon S90. That takes the price down to $300 + $3 for shipping.

I just pulled the trigger and ordered one. Now I'm looking foward to not having to lug my DSLR around at beer festivals.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mannequin posted:

My problem with this series is that the dynamic range still kind-of sucks. I am looking for something that won't nuke the highlights and completely burn the shadows. With the SD1200IS the contrasts tend to be somewhat extreme. I'm guessing the best P&S for high-contrast scenes would be the S90 or G11 because of the better sensors and RAW capabilities. Could anyone confirm?

S90 and G11 actually use the same sensor but different controls and lenses. According to Dpreview S90 has less zoom but F/2.0-4.9 (but says F8 in my camera) lenses while the G11 allows you to plug in an external speedlite with more tele.

Even with the S90 the highlights can get blown easily with AV-mode and tuning things down by a 1/3 EV is a common occurrence. I think the potential in these higher end point and shoot is to shoot in RAW and then post process them unlike other Point and shoots.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I want the Samsung EX1/TL500. A fast lens even when zoomed in (f/1.8-2.4), S90-sized sensor and lots of controls. The S90 can only go to about 45mm at f/2.8 and then it slows down considerably past that.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!
I just bought a Canon S90 after years of hating what my cheap point and shoot gave me (and after dropping and breaking said cheap point and shoot on a museum floor). I've always been interested in photo composition, but this is the first time I've had anything that could really be considered a decent camera. I've read up on all the functions, but have basically zero actual experience outside of just telling the camera to do macro or auto or whatever... feeling like I'm in a bit over my head right now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

drat Your Eyes! posted:

I just bought a Canon S90 after years of hating what my cheap point and shoot gave me (and after dropping and breaking said cheap point and shoot on a museum floor). I've always been interested in photo composition, but this is the first time I've had anything that could really be considered a decent camera. I've read up on all the functions, but have basically zero actual experience outside of just telling the camera to do macro or auto or whatever... feeling like I'm in a bit over my head right now.

Are you feeling out of your head technically, or artistically?

If it is the first - leave the camera on auto and go shooting. When you find a technical limitation, then that is when you read up and learn how to solve it by changing the settings.

If it is the second - a good idea is to look at someone's work that you like and try to replicate it. e.g. if you a series of photos of firehydrants that looks good - go out and try to make one of your own. First time around, you are copying the other guy's work - but hopefully it will lead onto your own creativity and the second time will be your own work.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

caberham posted:

S90 and G11 actually use the same sensor but different controls and lenses. According to Dpreview S90 has less zoom but F/2.0-4.9 (but says F8 in my camera) lenses while the G11 allows you to plug in an external speedlite with more tele.

Even with the S90 the highlights can get blown easily with AV-mode and tuning things down by a 1/3 EV is a common occurrence. I think the potential in these higher end point and shoot is to shoot in RAW and then post process them unlike other Point and shoots.

Wow, that is an eye-opener. Thanks. I guess we need to get better lights. I use the SD1200IS at work most of the time. It's not my preferred choice but at the same time it saves me from potentially damaging my own dSLR (in the hustle and bustle of things), and the IQ is sufficient for what we do. The only problem is the excessive Photoshop work that is involved in really evening out the exposure.

The camera sees a white seamless background and wants to underexpose. So I have to set the camera's EV to overexpose. For the first shot in the series below, I usually have to overexpose to 1 & 2/3 stops, which is nuts. I have to be careful not to blowout the metal parts that are usually bright and shiny, also.

Click here for the full 767x2048 image.

For close-up metal shots (like pictures 2-5) I have to underexpose so as not to blowout the highlights, but that means getting very dark wood which then has to be lightened separately in Photoshop. It's a real pain. In the end, though, it works so no one really sees the need to spend thousands of dollars on a better setup.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

quote:

Are you feeling out of your head technically, or artistically?

If it is the first - leave the camera on auto and go shooting. When you find a technical limitation, then that is when you read up and learn how to solve it by changing the settings.

If it is the second - a good idea is to look at someone's work that you like and try to replicate it. e.g. if you a series of photos of firehydrants that looks good - go out and try to make one of your own. First time around, you are copying the other guy's work - but hopefully it will lead onto your own creativity and the second time will be your own work.

My issues are pretty much technical-- for years now I've been getting frustrated when the awesome shot I see just doesn't translate in terms of color/light/shadow. I've just played with the camera for a bit shooting around my room, and I really notice a difference already. There's been a shot or two where I'm completely baffled as to why it focused the way it did, but I'll keep reading.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
If I want the following feauteres:

- RAW shooting
- Fast lens
- Low light performance
- External flash compatibility
- Manual control

What would be the recommended camera?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's the budget? :)
Also what's the biggest size you're prepared to deal with?

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

evil_bunnY posted:

What's the budget? :)
Also what's the biggest size you're prepared to deal with?

Small enough so security does not think I am a photog.

Budget around $600.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

LuisX posted:

Small enough so security does not think I am a photog.

Budget around $600.

Probably an LX3.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LX3, G11, that new Samsung.

If you can do a little more, probably an M4/3 with the 20mm f/1.7, and a NEX whenever Sony puts out a prime that makes sense.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I'm torn between a few cameras at the moment. I'm leaving to go on a year long road trip down to south america next month. I'm bringing along my 7D and 3 lenses but a lot of the time I really enjoy the connivence of a P&S for quick snapshots. I enjoy making short films and video diaries and I plan for the 7D to be the main camera but having a second point and shoot capable of recording alternate angles at the same time would be nice.

Ideally I'd like 720p video recording, half way descent lens 2.8 max apature or better in a fairly small format.

Here's the kicker though, we're likely going to be on a sailboat for a couple of weeks at some point and spending time at beaches, riding through rain, etc. I'd really like the point and shoot to be waterproof so that I don't have to bury it inside luggage (I can just keep it in a cargo pocket on me at all times.)

I'm currently looking at the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000, Panasonic DMC-TS2, and the Pentax Optio W90.

The W90 is the cheapest but not as waterproof/shockproof as the other two and lacks image stabilization.

The Panasonic is the current front runner for me but I thought I'd see what other people thought here.

Ideally I'd get something like a SD1400IS or an s90 but the cost of those plus even a cheap housing are pretty high and the housing wouldn't fit in a pants pocket and would take up additional space when the camera wasn't in it.

Also here's an underwater video of the Panasonic that I enjoyed: http://blog.adhack.com/2010/04/21/octopus-steals-panasonic-lumix-dmc-ts2-crowdsourcing/

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

LX5 is coming out soon, and it appears to address many concerns with the LX3.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rated PG-34 posted:

LX5 is coming out soon, and it appears to address many concerns with the LX3.

Does it have a built-in lens cap?

oriface
Jul 13, 2006

mathaeis posted:

So hey, request some specifics if you'd like and I'll do my best to get some test shots for you all.

I'm very close to buying the Casio Exilim FH100. How did it rate in your 4 camera super test? I am especially interested in the low light and zoom qualities.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I'm looking for a camera that can shoot underwater to give my GF for her birthday. I am well aware of the D10, but are there any other good underwater P&Ss?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

kmcormick9 posted:

I'm looking for a camera that can shoot underwater to give my GF for her birthday. I am well aware of the D10, but are there any other good underwater P&Ss?

I'm looking at these right now and I'm likely going to pick up the Panasonic DMC-TS2, smaller size and I've liked the sample shots and video I've seen from it.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

spog posted:

Does it have a built-in lens cap?

Doesn't look like it. There's a scroll wheel and other niceties though.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
EDIT: Never mind, I'm an idiot.

HorseHeadBed fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 29, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The S90 is coming up on a year old now, have there been any rumblings about a replacement model?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
The soonest is probably somewhere around the launch time of G12, which might be some time between August and October.

However the S80 came out in 2005, so it could take a while :v:

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
I really want an s90 because carrying around my xti is such a pain in the rear end. However, I've been really looking at getting a ricoh gr digital so now I'm kind of torn between the two. I don't know what it is, but I have this strange fascination with the ricoh.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I really want an s90 because carrying around my xti is such a pain in the rear end. However, I've been really looking at getting a ricoh gr digital so now I'm kind of torn between the two. I don't know what it is, but I have this strange fascination with the ricoh.

Check out the Samsung EX1. It has the best lens among point and shoots to date. It's not a superzoom, but it should be serviceable with a rough equivalent of a 17-50 on your XTi. It's funny to say it, but it's actually a faster lens than anything zoom you can get for a regular DSLR because like I said, it's roughly equivalent to 17-50 on an APS-C sensor, but it's f/1.8-2.4 which would be fast prime territory on APS-C or full frame.

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!

HPL posted:

Check out the Samsung EX1. It has the best lens among point and shoots to date. It's not a superzoom, but it should be serviceable with a rough equivalent of a 17-50 on your XTi. It's funny to say it, but it's actually a faster lens than anything zoom you can get for a regular DSLR because like I said, it's roughly equivalent to 17-50 on an APS-C sensor, but it's f/1.8-2.4 which would be fast prime territory on APS-C or full frame.

Interesting. I will definitely be looking into this now. Thanks a lot for the info!

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

qirex posted:

The S90 is coming up on a year old now, have there been any rumblings about a replacement model?

CanonRumors has had a bit of rumors on it.

Mid July:
"S95
Same as the G12, with some ergonomic changes." - No earlier than September.

Recent rumors:
"S90
I was just told the S90 has officially reached EOL (End of Life)."

and

"S90
A few more confirmations of the S90 not appearing on new pricing lists in a few countries."

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
What are they replacing it with? :confused:

Edit: oops, completely missed the first paragraph

Greybone fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 3, 2010

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

That's the one with dedicated shutter speed and aperture wheels right?

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Greybone posted:

What are they replacing it with? :confused:

Read my post?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The one killer feature of Samsungs is the fact that they can charge by USB, I've never really been impressed by their pictures though. That said I was reading reviews of the EX1 and why are camera reviewers so clueless about what people want to see? 3 pages of daytime city shots and 100% ISO crop comparisons and not a single picture taken indoors in dim lighting.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

qirex posted:

That said I was reading reviews of the EX1 and why are camera reviewers so clueless about what people want to see? 3 pages of daytime city shots and 100% ISO crop comparisons and not a single picture taken indoors in dim lighting.

i believe the term is 'anorak'

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

qirex posted:

The one killer feature of Samsungs is the fact that they can charge by USB, I've never really been impressed by their pictures though. That said I was reading reviews of the EX1 and why are camera reviewers so clueless about what people want to see? 3 pages of daytime city shots and 100% ISO crop comparisons and not a single picture taken indoors in dim lighting.

The only time I've seen an appropriate review for a low light camera was when Engadget reviewed the D3S, odd as that sounds. The reviewer went and shot a boxing match and a concert with it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but a D3s review focused on low light can be summed up by "everything else is worse" so eh.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah but a D3s review focused on low light can be summed up by "everything else is worse" so eh.

True, but at least the reviewer did something that actually taxed the D3S as opposed to taking a shot of a bridge in broad daylight.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

qirex posted:

That said I was reading reviews of the EX1 and why are camera reviewers so clueless about what people want to see? 3 pages of daytime city shots and 100% ISO crop comparisons and not a single picture taken indoors in dim lighting.
I don't think all of them are clueless. I think a lot are taking photos that show off the camera in the best light in order to please the manufacturers.

Which is unfortunate, because being "the camera guy" in the family, low light/dim lighting always comes up in questions people ask me when buying cameras.

I'm trying out a friend's Canon SX210, and had it with me around some family members last weekend, and a couple were looking to replace their 3-5 year old cameras. I had to explain a couple of times that I was considering it because it had a big zoom and it probably wasn't going to work as well in the situations they wanted versus a camera with a smaller zoom and lower MP.

The problem is, the SX 210 is so drat small when it's off and does take decent pictures and panoramas, that everybody was impressed. I was going crazy trying to explain that it probably wasn't what they'd want at a birthday party or whatever. We want a new camera for hiking, and a zoom makes sense for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I finally have two point and shoots that I'm happy with, one for film, and one for digital.

Samples:
Olympus Stylus Epic (mju-II)

HP 120

• Locked thread