Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One thing I've always wondered is why cameras don't have weaker flash settings, I'm assuming it's because the bulbs don't work that way but there's pretty much no picture taken in a bar in the last 5 years that isn't completely blown out. The camera knows the people are 4 feet away, why provide the same light as a 15 foot shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I think regular people like blown highlights.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

qirex posted:

One thing I've always wondered is why cameras don't have weaker flash settings, I'm assuming it's because the bulbs don't work that way but there's pretty much no picture taken in a bar in the last 5 years that isn't completely blown out. The camera knows the people are 4 feet away, why provide the same light as a 15 foot shot?
At least on the SX210, you can adjust the flash power settings - raise or lower it. There's a "Smart Flash Exposure" setting that is supposed to do it automatically, but I haven't messed with it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

qirex posted:

One thing I've always wondered is why cameras don't have weaker flash settings
Eh, they do? The $100 jobs might not, but I'm pretty sure most P&S with manual settings have flash power adjustments.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Eh, they do? The $100 jobs might not, but I'm pretty sure most P&S with manual settings have flash power adjustments.

They're there but even the minimum setting is way too bright for people/objects you're selling on eBay at 3-5 feet, at least on the 3 I've owned.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's weird. I don't own a P&S any more, but on my LX3 dialling a bit a negative flash comp (and sometimes pushing ISO a stop or so) worked wonders.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Canon Japan's website are showing 'limited stock' on S90, SX20 IS and SX120 IS.
http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/powershot/index.html

So it might be a sign that they are on their way out, or the demand for them have just gone up :v:

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

qirex posted:

They're there but even the minimum setting is way too bright for people/objects you're selling on eBay at 3-5 feet, at least on the 3 I've owned.

My Canon SD1400IS I just bought has an auto flash feature. It lowers the intensity the closer the object is to the camera. I think it works pretty well myself.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

So which somewhat cheap camera should I choose - a Pentax Optio H90 or a Panasonic DMC-FS62?

I'm almost decided on the Panasonic one, since the reviews seem to be better and they're almost the same price (with the Pentax being a bit cheaper)

e: or screw that, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS30 looks real good.

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 9, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

maverick99 posted:

My Canon SD1400IS I just bought has an auto flash feature. It lowers the intensity the closer the object is to the camera. I think it works pretty well myself.
Don't all P&S do that? Or do they modulate flash exposure through the aperture setting?
The real problem is that P&S are just bad at balancing flash and ambient.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

I just took this about 10 or 15 minutes ago, handheld with a Canon SX210 and I am pretty proud of it given that I only had a few minutes to familiarize myself with shooting in Tv mode and it is a P&S :science:

Unfortunately it's right on top of us now and the power has blinked 5 times in the last 5 minutes so I'm retiring for the night.

God I wish I had my 30D and a tripod :smith:

tonelok fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 9, 2010

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Any reason I shouldn't get a cannon Powershot A480?

I was considering a Fuji Finepix J27, but reading about the CDHK firmware upgrades for cannon has pushed me over the edge.

If i'm making some sort of silly mistake, please let me know.

Or how about a (slightly more expensive) A620?

DreddyMatt fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 13, 2010

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The A620 will probably be more responsive and have better controls, and it also has an optical viewfinder which is always nice. I'd take that over an A4x0 any day.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I have the A620 if you have any questions about that - I don't really have much to compare it to, but it has a decent set of features and the CHDK stuff is pretty cool. The downsides are that it's pretty bulky (which does help you hold it steady) and that low light performance is pretty bad - you find yourself cranking the ISO and still getting slow shutter speeds even in seemingly bright interiors. Like I said I don't have any other point and shoots to compare it to, but I'd imagine things have improved in the last four years since I got it.

If you do get one invest in some powerful rechargeable AA batteries, don't use alkalines like I did and wondered why the power ran out after 7 shots

EDIT: Oh yeah, the LCD on the A620 pops out and rotates, so you can pretty much put the camera wherever and angle the screen at your head, which is fantastic for taking shots with the camera above your head or near the ground. It's incredibly useful and I don't even think twice about taking shots that would be a pain with another camera

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 14, 2010

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I have a Nikon D50, but I've been thinking it might be nice to have a waterproof P&S for surfing, beach trips, etc. The Olympus Tough series seems pretty awesome. Anyway, I thought P&S cameras might be at the point where a GPS (for geotagging) is standard-issue. According to DPReview, the intersection of "waterproof" and "has GPS" is apparently an empty set. Has anyone heard of a camera with both of these features in the new product pipeline?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's not like you can get GPS signal underwater anyway :v:

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

I'm planning on getting a decent P&S in a few weeks probably, most likely the S90, for primarily landscape and animal shots (I work/live on a farm), and for Etsy/SA-Mart style pics of hand-made ironwork. I'm willing to bite the bullet and get an S90, even though it means not buying a new bicycle ("Alright, busted-rear end Schwinn Traveler, let's learn to get along.") However, if I could get a camera that will manage low light and have decent color response that also happens to cost around $200, I'd be way into it. Something with good manual settings is essential, because I am a nerd and I want to learn the technical poo poo, but it really doesn't need to do A+ print-quality pictures, since they're all gonna end up on Flickr/Facebook/my websites anyways. Plus, I'll probably buy a DSLR in a couple years, when, god willing, I have money, but just the same I'd like a respectable camera whose capabilities I won't exhaust within a week of ownership.

Is it worth the $100+ jump to go from a SD1400 to an S90, or do you think the SD1400 would keep me occupied? Once I get this gadget and my sperg-boner is ragin', I will probably do my best to obsessively tweak and experiment with the camera until I'm spent, and I'd prefer not to be left wanting more right away.

Also, I had a Casio Exilim that broke within a couple weeks (I'll be more careful this time), had muddy-rear end green tones in the pics, and sucked DICK in low light, so I'd like to avoid repeating that experience if possible. I'm also open to brands as long as Ashton Kutcher isn't in any of the camera's advertisements, but the OP said "yo buy a Canon" so that's where I'm looking first. One more thing: we get 300 days of sunlight out here or something, and most of my pics will be outdoors, so the screen's gotta own.

Dongsmith fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 18, 2010

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Dongsmith posted:

camera poo poo
Okay, I've got some money coming in sooner than expected and will be buying a camera in the next couple of days. Any advice?

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Canon just announced the S95, SD4500 IS and SX130 IS.

So wait for reviews?

S95 = still 10MP, supposedly better image quality, plus some kind of Hybrid IS. 720p video. $400 this month.

SD4500 IS = 10MP CMOS, Dynamic IS, 1080p video, 10x zoom. $350 in September.

SX130 IS = 12x zoom, 12MP, 720p video, $250 this month.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 19, 2010

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
S95's sample images are up

http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/powershot/s95/image-sample.html

Too bad they dont show any high iso samples though.

Tetrad
Nov 3, 2002

DaNzA posted:

S95's sample images are up

http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/powershot/s95/image-sample.html

Too bad they dont show any high iso samples though.

I'm pretty sure I can count the number of times I took pictures at ISO 80 with my S90 on one hand. Waiting to see the eventual ISO 800/1600/3200 side-by-side comparisons.

Then again, my current S90 has a dead pixel on the sensor, so I'm tempted to get this when it comes out regardless.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

tonelok posted:

So wait for reviews?

S95 = still 10MP, supposedly better image quality, plus some kind of Hybrid IS. 720p video. $400 this month.

That's my birthday choice sorted then. Now just have to figure out which one to get, probably the S95.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tetrad posted:

Then again, my current S90 has a dead pixel on the sensor, so I'm tempted to get this when it comes out regardless.
Don't forget the upgrade program when you get your s95.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

tonelok posted:

So wait for reviews?

Aw poo poo

there are clouds of mist settled on the mountains across the road today and I am so fired up to buy a camera it hurts. I guess waiting does sound like a good idea though :/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Whoever makes those 10MP CMOS sensors must be really happy with the trends of late.

ScreaminKing
Feb 26, 2002

I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't forget the upgrade program when you get your s95.

EDIT: it's when you need repairs.

I have an S90 that I barely used (super low actuations) and now that the S95 is coming out....I'm thinking it might be good to just start again with an S95 However, if there is some sort of upgrade program maybe I should look into that before craigslist.....

Anyone in Toronto/Canada want a like new S90?

ScreaminKing fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 19, 2010

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Without reading any reviews on the new S95 I'm going to bet that it's not going to be much different than the S90. It seems typical of Canon to offer minor updates to their P&S lines just to make sure they push a camera out every year. I don't plan to upgrade my S90 for another year or two unless there is some kind of dramatic improvement. Even then I'll probably hang on to it until it shits out on me.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Haggins posted:

It seems typical of Canon to offer minor updates to their P&S lines just to make sure they push a camera out every year.
My guess is this year they move anything that doesn't have HD video to HD video.

Yalloglanchie
Jul 19, 2009

nose to anus
The S90 blows through a fully charged battery in less than an hour of recording standard definition video which is fine for short clips but useless as a camcorder replacement. I'd imagine the S95 will be even worse unless they completely overhaul the internals. Something like the VIXIA HF R100 would be a much better purchase for someone who already has a S90 but wants HD video.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ScreaminKing posted:

EDIT: it's when you need repairs.
I mentioned it because of the dead pixel :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

qirex posted:

Whoever makes those 10MP CMOS sensors must be really happy with the trends of late.

Think we have finally hit the upper-limit of MegaPixels on P&S?

It must be close to the resolving limits of the lenses, so there's no benefit in adding more of them to the mix.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So, I'm looking to buy a P&S, and I've managed to put a wee list together.

The P&S is mainly going to be used to snapshots (holidays, hiking, a night out and so on), nothing really fancy, I haven't got any use for a 100% shooting manual mode, as long as I can set the WB myself.

So my fellow goons, which of the following cameras would you choose?

Ricoh CX1 (7.1x zoom, 180 grams, CMOS)

Casio EX-FC100 (5x zoom, 146 grams, CMOS)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS6 (4x Leica zoom, 115 grams, CCD)

The CX1 is the most expensive, and the Panasonic is the cheapest.

So, what would you guys choose?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The only thing 'missing' from the S95 is a pivoting LCD methinks.

Has anyone seen it advertised anywhere? I checked NewEgg.com but no joy yet.

Between the LX5, EX1 and S95, what's the consensus?

The S95 has HD video, 28-105mm, non-pivot screen, about £400??

The EX1 has no HD video, 24-72mm, a pivoting screen, about £300

The LX5 has HD video, 24-90mm, non-pivot screen, about £360

Everything else is about the same: RAW, full manual control, loads of scenes, face recognition, etc., etc.

I think for me the EX1 for me is out because of no HD video, so then I guess it becomes a coin toss between the Panasonic wider angle and the Canon's better zoom. The Panasonic is probably going to be cheaper as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, a 24-28 difference is more significant than 90-105. The LX5 lens is a wee bit faster too, but you should check out the sensor comparisons.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I was thinking about that - I'll be taking more wide-angle shots than trying to get all zoomed in on tiny birds or planes up in the sky. Zoom is nice but eventually I'll be getting a DSLR and I can try to get all zoomy with that.

Sensor comparisons from dpreview and the Panasonic site:
S95 - 1/1.63-type / 11.3 Total Megapixels / Primary Color Filter
LX5 - 1/1.7" Type CCD, 10 million effective pixels

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I meant compare the actual performance when they get tested :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Of course!

I knew that.

Yeah...of course.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

I'm freakin' going nuts here waiting for reviews of the S95 and/or the price of the S90 to drop. I got a billy goat literally pissing in his own mouth every morning and big-rear end jumping spiders begging for macro, not to mention hella clouds and sunsets, and none of it is getting captured in photograph. Reading that the rear dial has been stiffened up from the S90 and the front ring has been "improved", plus the matte finish, is making me lean towards the S95. Is the Hybrid IS a major plus or just a minor one? Has anyone used it in one of Canon's other cameras?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It works pretty well in the 100mm 2.8L Macro. Up to 4 stops or so. I guess you can take sharper hand-held landscape shots at night or macro in a dark room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Alright, I couldn't resist and just pre-ordered the S95 on Amazon. Here's hoping it kicks rear end.

• Locked thread