Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Did they fix the free-spinning wheel on the S90?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Rated PG-34 posted:

Did they fix the free-spinning wheel on the S90?
A couple of pre-reviews that I read stated that they did indeed fix it up, but I guess we won't really know until it ships

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Not really a review but here is a breakdown of the S95

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10081918canonpowershots95.asp#images

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Dongsmith posted:

Alright, I couldn't resist and just pre-ordered the S95 on Amazon. Here's hoping it kicks rear end.
:hf:
I hope mine gets here before the end of the month. Just sold my old s90 too for 20 bucks less than retail.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

DaNzA posted:

:hf:
I hope mine gets here before the end of the month. Just sold my old s90 too for 20 bucks less than retail.
*Moe Sizlak going "Whuuuuh?!"*

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well sold it on CL for 280 actually :sweatdrop: , which is 20 bucks less a retail online store like dell.

I thought it wasn't too bad considering I bought it in mid-October last year and used for about one year. But I did maintain the camera in pretty much brand new condition with box/receipt and kept everything that came with it.

Here's hoping the new IS and 720p will be worth the $120 :argh:

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

DaNzA posted:

Well sold it on CL for 280 actually :sweatdrop: , which is 20 bucks less a retail online store like dell.

I thought it wasn't too bad considering I bought it in mid-October last year and used for about one year. But I did maintain the camera in pretty much brand new condition with box/receipt and kept everything that came with it.

Here's hoping the new IS and 720p will be worth the $120 :argh:
I haven't had a camera in 3 years or so. It's gonna be worth it to me. I love night shots, especially in the city, so I am pretty excited about the hybrid IS, and I'm a big fan of no-nonsense devices (got my Sansa Clip for long photo hikes). I can't wait to try out the lens ring.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
High ISO shot with S95, along with HD video and low ISO samples. Scroll down and click on the ones with a magnifying glass for full size.

http://www.eprice.com.tw/dc/talk/?prod_id=657&tid=11629

Seems like people in Taiwan have been getting them already since a few days ago. It's supposed to go on sale in Japan at the 26th.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

DaNzA posted:

High ISO shot with S95, along with HD video and low ISO samples. Scroll down and click on the ones with a magnifying glass for full size.

http://www.eprice.com.tw/dc/talk/?prod_id=657&tid=11629

Seems like people in Taiwan have been getting them already since a few days ago. It's supposed to go on sale in Japan at the 26th.
Cool, thanks for the link. I'm a-okay with that video, even at 24 fps. Does the Japan release date mean that they'll likely be shipping here before the end of August?

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

edit: nevermind, the camera was in the part of my order that hasn't shipped yet. Still waiting on a release date.

Dongsmith fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 24, 2010

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just bought the LX3, if anybody has any questions just ask, I will do my best to answer them.

dcor
Aug 23, 2002

Ken Rockwell has a thing up about the S95. Let's all ignore the rest of his idiocy and focus on the information (basically BUY BUY BUY if you've been waiting):

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s95.htm

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sample images from the LX5 for comparison...

I'm really really leaning towards the S95 and I know I won't kick myself for getting either one, but drat it (the Canon) looks good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So get it? To real advantage of the s95 is the size.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
A wink timer? That sounds awesome actually. Make the ladies jealous that I'm winking at my camera and not them.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, just waiting for it to come up on the EU shopping sites and hating VAT ($400 vs £400 is about $217 difference)

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

krushgroove posted:

Yeah, just waiting for it to come up on the EU shopping sites and hating VAT ($400 vs £400 is about $217 difference)
I'm starting to get pretty anxious. Amazon.com has changed the S95's status from "pre-order" to "Temporarily out of stock", which makes me wonder if they got a cache of them and shipped them out to the earliest pre-orders and I'm S.O.L. for the moment, or if they're just preparing the product page for the first batch of S95s to get shipped from Canon. Buydig.com says Sept. 4th and some one-off rumor site I tracked down (can't remember which) says not to expect it until September. I could have had an S90 by now for less money, and I'm starting to wonder if it is going to be worth the wait/expense for slightly better IS and 720p (all my poo poo'll end up on Youtube anyways, so quality is moot).

Honestly, if any brick-and-mortars out here carried the S90 for less than $350 within an hour's drive I'd probably have given up on the S95 by now.

I am literally a child.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Patients my son.

Having a few other cameras helps with the wait :v: And yeah I dont see them releasing it before sept now :argh:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Luckily I don't 'need' the camera until October for a birthday trip, but I'll still be cutting it close - I'm sending my mom some money and she'll get it from Amazon or wherever...I'll have to pay for airmail and probably customs fees but I'll still be saving $£$£.

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Dongsmith posted:

I'm starting to get pretty anxious. Amazon.com has changed the S95's status from "pre-order" to "Temporarily out of stock", which makes me wonder if they got a cache of them and shipped them out to the earliest pre-orders and I'm S.O.L. for the moment, or if they're just preparing the product page for the first batch of S95s to get shipped from Canon.

It's the former. I pre-ordered mine on the 24th and it's still "we don't have a ship date yet" but people who pre-ordered around the 20th and before got the first batch, which apparently started shipping on Friday.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Have they changed around the top plate so that the on/off button is now bigger than the 'ring func.' button?

(seriously, what a dumbass design decision that was)

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

quote:

Your Amazon.com order of "Canon PowerShot S95 10 MP ..." has shipped!
awww yiss

Get ready for some drat pictures, Dorkroom. I'll (obviously) post in this thread once it arrives.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
It was with a heavy heart I had to sell my S90 to my ex when dividing our stuff two weeks ago.

It got a bit better when the local store started selling their remaining stock for $315 - half of what I originally paid :)

(The backwheel and lack of HD never bothered me much)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
You paid $630 for it originally??

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

spf3million posted:

You paid $630 for it originally??

Yes, approximately what the s95 will start at I'm guessing. (Norway)
Early adaptation sucks!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does anyone know when the next batch of S95's will be getting to Amazon.com? I would imagine it's a monthly thing, but don't really know how the camera companies operate their manufacturing schedules.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

krushgroove posted:

Does anyone know when the next batch of S95's will be getting to Amazon.com? I would imagine it's a monthly thing, but don't really know how the camera companies operate their manufacturing schedules.

It's in stock on B&H. Looks to be about $10 shipping though.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

krushgroove posted:

Amazon shows it in stock as of this post. Jump on that poo poo.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
S95 is pretty much the same as the S90, especially if you dont shoot video.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 2, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dongsmith posted:

Amazon shows it in stock as of this post. Jump on that poo poo.

Wow, that was fast! Amazon told my mom to expect delivery between the 14th and the 20th, if that's true and airmail takes a week like it normally does I'll get it in plenty of time for my trip.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Greybone posted:

Yes, approximately what the s95 will start at I'm guessing. (Norway)
Early adaptation sucks!

S95 goes for 3495,- at fotovideo.no (which means I will get it whenever in a month or two)...
That will be about $555 for you dollar-people.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'll probably end up picking up an S95, I was briefly entertaining thoughts of a LX5 or NEX but they're not really pocketable and I'd rather save my money towards a proper SLR.

azathosk posted:

That will be about $555 for you dollar-people.
Socialized medicine ain't free v:shobon:v

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd think long and hard about the NEX/SLR thing. You'd have to go to full frame to get much better IQ. It's just that the lens options are limited now 8(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've been mulling over a NEX camera or m4/3 or even a Samsung NX camera for the last while as a travel camera and I keep going back to the fact that if I did buy in to those systems I'd have to buy all new lenses too which leads me back to looking at the Samsung EX1. It's far from perfect, but it fits the bill of not costing an arm and a leg, decent glass and compact form factor. Anything with an interchangeable lens would cost at least two or three times more and be much bulkier with a lens of similar range (28-70ish).

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Is there a consensus for the best waterproof/tough camera?

After something that I can take skiing, in the water, on a mountain bike without worrying too much about busting it if I drop it. So needs to be able to operate in cold temps without the battery completely dieing, underwater (do any of them float?) and be scratchproof possibly.

Would like HD video.

Honestly don't care about image quality as much. Particularly lowlight.

The stuff is for facebook/youtube anyway.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Fists Up posted:

Is there a consensus for the best waterproof/tough camera?

After something that I can take skiing, in the water, on a mountain bike without worrying too much about busting it if I drop it. So needs to be able to operate in cold temps without the battery completely dieing, underwater (do any of them float?) and be scratchproof possibly.

Would like HD video.

Honestly don't care about image quality as much. Particularly lowlight.

The stuff is for facebook/youtube anyway.

I've heard good things about the Canon PowerShot D10, thought it doesn't look like the video is anything special.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Haggins posted:

I've heard good things about the Canon PowerShot D10, thought it doesn't look like the video is anything special.

Which is why I was looking at the lumix Ft2.

I like to strap the camera to my helmet or hold it whilst skiing and stuff. And take little videos in places where i can't bring an SLR

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
For wearable action video, I'd go with a GoPro http://www.goprocamera.com/ I've seen some neat stuff done with their cameras.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I have never owned a camera before (and know next to nothing about them) but I'm looking into buying one to take some pictures of some various things for a project I'm trying to start and also to photograph my crotch for un-related stalking purposes. I'm not sure that I need anything fancy and I'm not doing anything that needs super high resolution. I just want something simple and takes pictures better than the awful camera on my phone.

I'm looking to spend ~$200. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Got my S95 in the mail today so I took a couple pictures at work. Of course, right after I bought it I went out to build a thing and left the camera in a nearby shed, and then like immediately an adorable bird landed on my hat which sat on the ground about 3 feet away. I tried to sneak back to the shed to grab the camera and spooked the bird, who flew away. Lesson learned: do not leave the camera out of reach. I did get some pictures of the same bird later on, but they are not any good. No second chances in photography, I guess.

Strangely enough, I later found this branch cut from a tree that happened to have a nest in it. The orange/red highlights are baling twine, which is used to bale hay and which is in abundance on the farm.

img_0057.jpg by Jimperialism, on Flickr

• Locked thread