Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dcor
Aug 23, 2002

Dude DS between the jonesin for the camera and the very sad very inconsequential bird story let me be the first to say CONGRATS on your new camera and don't worry man, moments like that will flower around you now that your eyes are open and your finger's on the shutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IcedPee posted:

I have never owned a camera before (and know next to nothing about them) but I'm looking into buying one to take some pictures of some various things for a project I'm trying to start and also to photograph my crotch for un-related stalking purposes.

Wait, what?

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
Don't you judge me :colbert:

All joking aside, I should have posted that in the gear thread, which I somehow did not see before.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

dcor posted:

Dude DS between the jonesin for the camera and the very sad very inconsequential bird story let me be the first to say CONGRATS on your new camera and don't worry man, moments like that will flower around you now that your eyes are open and your finger's on the shutter.
Thanks man! I'm pretty stoked to start filling my Flickr page. I've noticed that I'm already looking at the world a little bit differently, and the change in perspective is a nice side bonus.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

IcedPee posted:

Don't you judge me :colbert:

All joking aside, I should have posted that in the gear thread, which I somehow did not see before.

A small tripod (desktop) will help get good quality funzone pics and oh god, why do I know this?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

IcedPee posted:

I should have posted that in the gear thread, which I somehow did not see before.
No, I think this was the right thread. Buy the most expensive Canon p&s you can afford.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

spf3million posted:

No, I think this was the right thread. Buy the most expensive Canon p&s you can afford.

This should really be the first line of every thread in The Dorkroom:

"Looking to buy a P&S? Buy the most expensive Canon P&S you can afford."

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I got drunk last night and ordered the S95. I hope it isn't too much camera for a complete beginner :ohdear:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

IcedPee posted:

I got drunk last night and ordered the S95. I hope it isn't too much camera for a complete beginner :ohdear:

Not a great way to go about equipment purchases if you wish to stay out of poverty, but it should be a good camera to learn with.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
I'm a poor student; currently I have a Nikon Coolpix 3700 which obviously is kind of dated (bought 2004 or 2005?, 3 MP).
I really love that cam and people keep telling me the pictures it takes are impressive for a digi-cam from the stone-ages... Still I need something with less dents and more megapixels and zoom.

I spent the last few days researching and before I came here I was pretty sure the Casio EX-FH100 was my choice. Now everybody's sperging about the S90 :smith:

Is the S90 that much better or will I be fine with the FH100?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Warthog posted:

Now everybody's sperging about the S90 :smith:

Read the last couple of pages - the S95 is where it's at.

Hopefully I'll have mine by the end of the month!

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

krushgroove posted:

Read the last couple of pages - the S95 is where it's at.

Hopefully I'll have mine by the end of the month!

Read them but considering the age of my current camera, there is no difference between the S90 and the S95 for me.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
If you don't want to do much video, the s90 is a fantastic deal now, I'd say.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Greybone posted:

If you don't want to do much video, the s90 is a fantastic deal now, I'd say.

I'd definitely agree with this - HD video was on my list so the s95 was the way to go for me.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Any suggestions on a good place to buy a Canon S90 or S95 in Canada (specifically Alberta)? I'm having a hard time finding either, and don't know of any good Canadian online retailers that would carry it.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Jadus posted:

Any suggestions on a good place to buy a Canon S90 or S95 in Canada (specifically Alberta)? I'm having a hard time finding either, and don't know of any good Canadian online retailers that would carry it.
Simon's camera seems to have the S90 on their listing
http://www.simonscameras.com/digitalphoto/pshoot/index.asp?cat=200&fmt=60&ftype=0
Give them a call about the S95.

I got the 70-200 mug from them with no problems so I guess they are ok :v:

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

The S95 is the best compact point and shoot that I can imagine

this is straight outta the camera:

THE HOOP by Jimperialism, on Flickr

The joy of using the interface is worth the price of admission.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dongsmith posted:

this is straight outta the camera:

THE HOOP by Jimperialism, on Flickr

The joy of using the interface is worth the price of admission.

Dammmmmmnnn, I can't wait to get mine, it's in transit to me as I type.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Warthog posted:

I'm a poor student; currently I have a Nikon Coolpix 3700 which obviously is kind of dated (bought 2004 or 2005?, 3 MP).
I really love that cam and people keep telling me the pictures it takes are impressive for a digi-cam from the stone-ages... Still I need something with less dents and more megapixels and zoom.

I spent the last few days researching and before I came here I was pretty sure the Casio EX-FH100 was my choice. Now everybody's sperging about the S90 :smith:

Is the S90 that much better or will I be fine with the FH100?

Casio isn't exactly known for its well-designed cameras. I'd buy the Canon over any Casio in a heartbeat.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Dongsmith posted:

Picking up my S95 tomorrow, so excited. You're getting some great results with it. Any tips for another new S95 owner?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Got my S95 on Sunday from Best Buy for $360 because of a 10% coupon I had. We have a kid coming next month so it was time to upgrade. The thing is amazing. I know I will never get pictures as high as quality as seen here but I will take any pointers you guys can give.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Bought my S95 last week and it is amazing, my dslr won't be seeing much use any time soon!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Managed to track down that 10% off coupon (expires 9/30)

The coupon scanned but wouldn't take anything off so they just manually took 10% off and I walked out a happy customer with a new S95. Man this thing is tiny! Going to take some getting used to, since I'm so used to my 40D. It's like pointing a deck of cards at people.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've just bought an S95 based on the recommendations in this thread. I'm very excited for delivery! :)

I have a question about SD cards. In a camera like this, is it worth springing the extra cash for a class 10 card? Or should I just stick to class 6?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Congratulations on the purchase! :) I'm using a class 6 card with my S95 and it's quite snappy. Admittedly I haven't used a class 10 but I can't imagine the camera benefiting from it that much more given how fast it is with the 6.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finally got my early birthday gift today: a brand-spanking new S95. I'm sure the S95 is making up 80% of the ownership in this thread :)

It's already on charge and I can't wait to use it!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'm considering buying a new P&S to take hiking and on a trip to Africa next year; I was thinking about getting a Canon G11 (or G12) since a friend had a G7 and really loved it. But I've noticed that most people here recommend the S series PowerShots, rather than the G-series, is there any particular reason for this?

Is there any reason I should buy a G11 rather than an S95? I'm mostly new to photography, though I could see myself learning more. As mentioned, I'll be taking the camera hiking and on safari/up Mount Kilimanjaro so weight and battery life are pretty important concerns.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

webmeister posted:

I'm considering buying a new P&S to take hiking and on a trip to Africa next year; I was thinking about getting a Canon G11 (or G12) since a friend had a G7 and really loved it. But I've noticed that most people here recommend the S series PowerShots, rather than the G-series, is there any particular reason for this?

Is there any reason I should buy a G11 rather than an S95? I'm mostly new to photography, though I could see myself learning more. As mentioned, I'll be taking the camera hiking and on safari/up Mount Kilimanjaro so weight and battery life are pretty important concerns.

Weight.

The G is much bigger (really...compare the two in a shop) and yet has the same sensor size and features.

So, all you get from the G is nice, DSLR-feeling controls (and hotshoe flash) at the expense of losing a lot of portability.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

My S95 turned up today. I ordered it off a Hong Kong camera seller on eBay for £260 shipped, some £~100 cheaper than I could find it anywhere else in the UK. :) So far, so good. I absolutely love the interface.

My only whine is that there's no RAW support for Adobe apps or OS X/Aperture etc. Typically, how long should I expect to wait for RAW support to be rolled out?

Edit: does anyone else find the dial on top really stiff? Does it loosen up after a while or what?

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 30, 2010

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

webmeister posted:

I have a G10, and as awesome as it is, I'm thinking of selling it to get the S95. It's a very well-built and nice camera and takes great photos. However, it's that middle of the road bulk that doesn't fit in your pocket and can't hang easily off of your wrist. With the G10, you basically need an R7-strap for it to carry comfortably. The only advantage you might get with the G1x is that you have a better? lens - can anyone else weigh in on that?

I also have the SD750 - which is awesome for me as a party / pocket camera. And since I recently bought a T2i, my G10 has seen no action. Hence why I want to sell it. The 750 I'll keep as a backup though.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

moron posted:

Edit: does anyone else find the dial on top really stiff? Does it loosen up after a while or what?
Yeah, I can second that. I'm getting used to it, but I don't think it really gets "worked in" like a pair of boots or whatever.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
The DMC-LX5 appears to be technically superior to the S95 BUT it is physically thicker. Is the only thing going for the S95 its size?

Septimus fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 1, 2010

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Septimus posted:

The DMC-LX5 appears to be technically superior to the S95 BUT it is physically thicker. Is the only thing going for the S95 its size?
Most people probably already has a 'technically superior' camera in addition to the s95, so the main draw will be its size and 720p with 24fps and stereo mic.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Septimus posted:

The LX-5 is comparable to a G camera, not really an S95. I sold my LX-3 for the same reason geeves wants to get rid of his G10: once you have a DSLR, you either want quality (take it along) or something that you can just whip out and snap with. The LX'es aren't really pocketable, neither are the G cameras.

ZeroConnection
Aug 8, 2008
Would a Sony Nex-3 or -5 qualify as the best point & shoot?

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I need to pick the brains of some camera gurus.

As part of my work I need to photograph laptops and various small gadgets. This photography is done close up in my office which is fairly well lit.

I have a four year old point-and-shoot camera, but it just isn't getting the job done. About half my shots turn out slightly blurry and most just look really flat and lifeless. I just don't think my camera is up to the job.

The camera I'm looking for is only going to be used for close-range shots (camera between 1 foot and 3 feet away). Issues like portability, battery life and etc are not a concern. All I care about is the ability to take high-quality up-close shots.

The Canon pointed out in this thread looks very nice, but since I have such specific needs I thought I'd post and see if this changes the recommendation at all.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ZeroConnection posted:

Would a Sony Nex-3 or -5 qualify as the best point & shoot?
Nah, Leica M9 is the best point and shoot. There might be a few more steps involved than just pointing the camera and shoot though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dongsmith posted:

Yeah, I can second that. I'm getting used to it, but I don't think it really gets "worked in" like a pair of boots or whatever.

It should get smoother as the detents in the plastic dial get worn down.

Faceless Clock posted:

The Canon pointed out in this thread looks very nice, but since I have such specific needs I thought I'd post and see if this changes the recommendation at all.

My number one piece of advice would be to get a tripod. It sounds like you're shooting handheld, which is not a great idea for quality macro shots where precision matters.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

DaNzA posted:

Nah, Leica M9 is the best point and shoot. There might be a few more steps involved than just pointing the camera and shoot though.

Yeah, P&S probably would require autofocus. That new Fuji X100 might qualify though, or if we're not limiting ourselves to digital cameras, maybe the Fuji GA645?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroConnection
Aug 8, 2008
The m9 costs around $7000 :smith:.

• Locked thread