Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Slowhanded posted:

No real budget here, sky's the limit.
Hasselblad rebadged Sony NEX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the sky really is the limit i'd also look at the Leica Q.

The GR is probably my favorite camera despite its shortcomings. Great ergonomics, good sensor, sharp lens, and perfect size. It's main weakness is the autofocus, which feels super old school slow compared to everything else I own.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Like I said, I'm used to paying Sony's butt pricing. The Q seems too big for what I want - not that much smaller than carrying my A7rii with a wide angle.

Re: the GR, I've also read about the slow AF. How hard is it to set to hyperfocal with the controls? I'm fine with slow performance at night, but it's the fleeting movements in the day I really want to capture.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The "snap focus" setting lets you choose a focus distance for it to snap to if you just mash the shutter button all the way without letting it autofocus. You can set snap focus distance to 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 5, and infinity meters. The controls are extremely customizable so you could have this distance setting just be on a rocker or something if you wanted. Not sure if that's what you'd be looking for?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just get both GR and X70 and return one of them.

GR is supposed to have good hyperfocal mode. I will wait for the X70 wide angle converter review first and decide on one of them myself.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really wish someone would come out with a GR competitor that has better autofocus and a faster lens. I'd been hoping that the GR II would be that camera, but alas... The X70 doesn't look like it's worth a switch, but I'd definitely try both if I was coming into it new.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

powderific posted:

I really wish someone would come out with a GR competitor that has better autofocus and a faster lens. I'd been hoping that the GR II would be that camera, but alas... The X70 doesn't look like it's worth a switch, but I'd definitely try both if I was coming into it new.

A friend using both prefers the X70 but in the end YMMV.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

The Rx100 (mkiv, specifically) LCD scratches so easily. Anyone have any experience replacing the film/cover over the LCD on this camera?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Sold all my Fuji gear (because I really suck as a photographer) and was going to just enjoy being an iPhone photographer but .. it just doesn't deliver the control that I wanted nor feel right in the hand. As a compromise I bought a gently used RX100m3 from KEH. Can't wait to get it, a fit in your pocket camera with the quality it has is impressive to say the least.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Sold all my Fuji gear (because I really suck as a photographer) and was going to just enjoy being an iPhone photographer but .. it just doesn't deliver the control that I wanted nor feel right in the hand. As a compromise I bought a gently used RX100m3 from KEH. Can't wait to get it, a fit in your pocket camera with the quality it has is impressive to say the least.

please please please please put a screen protector on the screen before you use it. It's so scratches so incredibly easily it's not even funny.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

arbybaconator posted:

please please please please put a screen protector on the screen before you use it. It's so scratches so incredibly easily it's not even funny.

I ordered one yesterday simply based on your comment above :love:

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine just asked me to help him buy a new camera. He is completely technologically inept and has no grasp on what he needs or what these thing cost so I don't want to tell him to just go to the store and ask them to help him, because that will probably not end well as he is also quite well off moneywise. He currently have some sort of canon ixus or sony cybershot compact that he bought six ears ago and it's starting to fail now so something new is needed.

So these are his needs as far as I can tell:

A compact.
No need for any ability to fiddle with manual settings or shoot raw.
Lots of optical zoom, preferably something like up to 200 mm or more (in full format equivalent)
Not absolutely awful in low light

He likes to go to rock concerts and zoom as crazy to take photos from his seat and I guess it's better if he can do that with optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom... I know this will produce really crappy results with any camera with such a small sensor but I hope to get him something that will do better then what he has now (I sometimes go to concerts with him and get "better" results using my mju zoom 140 and portra 400, even though I end up cropping like crazy).

So, any suggestions for a compact with lots of zoom and better lowlight ability then something similar from six years ago?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You could probably point him at this guide. The thing is that without learning something about how to use the thing he's not going to get the level of photos he wants, long distance shooting in bad light probably isn't going to look good in auto mode.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tell him to just go to the show and enjoy it. Long-reaching P&S cameras almost always blow rear end in low light and concert lighting isn't going to be any better.

E: That guide posted above is good though

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MadlabsRobot posted:

So, any suggestions for a compact with lots of zoom and better lowlight ability then something similar from six years ago?

Consider the Sony RX10.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm aware that it will never be good under those circumstances. He's not a stupid guy, quite the opposite actually. However, he is raised to believe that he is dumb and unable to learn "complicated stuff" so he won't even try to understand how it works (he's in his fifties now so that is unlikely to change...). If I lived in the same town I could teach him over time but as it is we only see each other twice a year, and none of his friends back home is interested in photography.

Thanks for the guide and the suggestion, we'll have look and try to find him something as good as possible.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MadlabsRobot posted:

Yeah, I'm aware that it will never be good under those circumstances. He's not a stupid guy, quite the opposite actually. However, he is raised to believe that he is dumb and unable to learn "complicated stuff" so he won't even try to understand how it works (he's in his fifties now so that is unlikely to change...). If I lived in the same town I could teach him over time but as it is we only see each other twice a year, and none of his friends back home is interested in photography.

Thanks for the guide and the suggestion, we'll have look and try to find him something as good as possible.

1) People who ask your suggestion won't buy the camera you suggest. Don't waste your time.

2) Generally, the image quality of the camera is proportional to the cost of the camera. Consumer camera business is a Japanese industrial monopoly with superficial competition. So just tell him buy a light and expensive camera.

3) Refer to rule 1 and 2, recommend RX100 and call it a day. People who don't care about photography won't expose to the limit of the RX100; and people who care about photography won't ask for recommendation anyway.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I am selling all of my Canon DSLR gear to get an RX100 V and a used X100S.

This will be either the best or worst decision of my life.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DJI just release the Phantom 4 Pro with a 1 inch sensor.

It's basically a $1500 RX100 with a gimbal and a crane.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
So, I'm looking at replacing my RX100III. Does anyone have any experience with the Panasonic ZS100? I know the lens isn't as bright as the RX100 series, but the longer reach and 4K sound nice. Is the stabilization good enough to offset the slow lens at full zoom?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
How stupid would it be to get a rx100 V as my first non iPhone cam in 15 (god I feel old) years?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Just got one, it's great. The problem is it's so much more work to use a real camera than my Pixel XL, which is fantastic for a smartphone. I wish that there were some kind of bracketed HDR RAW format in modern cameras that I could use with DXO Optics for maximum exposure latitude. Modern phones do HDR so well that it ends up being a lot of work to replicate that look in post-processing. If you use the in-camera HDR, it's JPEG only and it doesn't look quite like what I want. Basically I find that my phone captures the scene closest as I remember it, and then I end up post-processing my RX100 and RX1R images to look that way, but with limitations due to the lack of true bracketing (as on the phone). Quality still blows away phone photos, obviously.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the panacea posted:

How stupid would it be to get a rx100 V as my first non iPhone cam in 15 (god I feel old) years?

Do it!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a great camera. Get your mitts on it first to make sure you're cool with the handling (I find it a little slippery) but you'll probably be very happy with it.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
The small official glue-on rubber grip is a 100% must.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I have the RX100IV and it's an incredible camera (the V has better AF and a few other improvements but more or less they are the same camera). I used it everyday throughout my trip in Japan earlier this month and the image quality in both still photos and video are top notch all while being able to stuff it in my coat pocket.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I love the RX100 series (III and up, I own a III) for two main reasons. First, I suck and I hate composing a photo using something without an eye piece. Holding a camera out in front is way less stable and harder to examine what's in the frame before I shoot. When I use the eye piece it's very stable against my face and the eye piece eliminates all visual distractions aside from what's in the photo. This helps me immensely.

The second reason is because it's a mostly flat compact (jeans pocketable) with a "large" sensor. Now that I have a smart phone in my pocket with a decent camera, if I'm going to go through the trouble of carrying something around, it better be able to do much more than the phone. The RX100 is well worth carrying around for that purpose.

Here are a couple of my favorite shots from the camera:

IMG_0506.jpg by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

Lake Washington Ducks by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

Columbia Tower by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
My friend is a beekeeper and wants to take photos of bees to enter in shows, and does not want a large interchangable lens system. So what is the best option for macro insect photography? Cheaper is better, and it needs to fit in a pocket.

Crack fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 15, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Crack posted:

My friend is a beekeeper and wants to take photos of bees to enter in shows, and does not want a large interchangable lens system. So what is the best option for macro insect photography? Cheaper is better, and it needs to fit in a pocket.

Yeah, probably not. Get an older used DSLR (a 60d would work), a macro lens (doesn't have to be fancy), and one of those inexpensive yongnuo macro flashes.

akadajet fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Hey, P&S thread, it's been a minute. I've seen some activity here lately, and I've had a question on the backburner so figured I'd throw it out there.

I've been enjoying my S110 that I bought a few years back, even if I'm not sure I've pushed it to its full potential I really enjoy its manual controls. We have our first child on the way in a couple of months now and the question has come up as to whether we should be upgrading the camera situation as a result.

I'm still gunshy about getting into DSLR, less so for mirrorless, but I've been thinking about some sort of RX100 as a possible "easy" option.As far as price range goes, I think the mark 5 (~$1380-$1400 CAD before tax) is more than I'd like to spend but I could probably justify a mark 3 (~$900 CAD) pretty easily, assuming it's up to the task. Not sure about the mark 4 (~$1090 CAD) but it's not THAT much more than the 3 either.

My problem is I'm not really sure how the different marks stand against each other, or against my s110, in terms of figuring out the value proposition. Has anyone tried any/all of these cameras, and if so, mind commenting? Other solutions are welcome, if they're sub $1000 and appropriate for getting nice shots of my kid more or less on the fly.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I personally have the RX100m4 and have used it a ton the past year for both stills and video. IQ wise, the m3, m4, and m5 are more or less the same for stills with minor improvements up the line. 4K video was introduced with the m4, if that's important to you. The biggest change with the m5, compared to the m4, is the AF system which is faster.

If you don't really care about video, I think either of the three is fine, I would take a look at some comparisons between the m4 and m5 for the AF system to see if it would make a big different to you.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It's worth pointing out - if you intend to take pictures of your child, you want fast AF performance and good low light performance.

Trust. Me.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just get an Osmo mobile and an iphone (for face tracking.)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Are any of the 'me too' 1" sensor compacts from Canon (powershot G-whatever X-something) or Panasonic (ZSnumber or FZnumber) a good value compared to an RX100III/IV? Seems like you might be able to save a few $$$ by getting one of those. The image quality is probably fairly close to an RX, but I don't know anything else about their AF performance or ergonomics. They also don't have BSI sensors like the latest RX's, but I'm not really sure what 'backside illumination' does for you. Seems like it might elicit unwanted attention. Although I guess it would make jogging at night safer.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Yea, similar question, how do the G7X mk2, LX10 and RX100 mk3 compare if 4K video isn't a big concern? There's about a $50 difference between each model with the G7 the cheapest and RX the most expensive. Most of the reviews online compare the LX10 to the RX100 V which has a much bigger price differential.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm not familiar with the G7X but imo the choice between the LX10 and RX100m3 comes down to whether you want a viewfinder or a touchscreen (and just better controls in general). I own a RX100m3 and had a LX100 (a bit too big), and I'm tempted to sidegrade to the LX10. I don't find myself using the viewfinder as often as I'd imagined so I think more physical dials plus a touch screen would be a bigger usability improvement; the RX100 is basically designed to be left in auto and used as a point and shoot.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Happy owner of the RX100m3 chiming in - while I don't use the viewfinder often, I'm grateful that it's there when I need it (bright sun, snow etc.)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
If you can, go to a brick-and-mortar store and see how the camera fits in your hands. Ergonomics is also important.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm going to be heading to a city with a decent brick-and-mortar store later this month for business and plan to stop in and try some stuff.

After hearing you all out and doing a bit of further reading, combined with the shifting up of my financial comfort zone, I'm considering that maybe a decent mirrorless might serve me better for the purpose. I'll still have the S110 for my pocket and I plan on upgrading my iPhone to the newest in the fall regardless. The consensus in the other thread seems to be the Fuji X-T20 (with the more expensive of the two kit lenses) might be the way I want to go with this. The other contender might be the RX100m5 for speedy shots but the X-T20 seems like it would do better in low light and still be fast enough on the AF draw.

Either way I'll try some out in-hand and prepare to splurge a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Have they really not updated the Canon S in 3.5 years?

I want to upgrade my S95 meaningfully, but the RX100 V is a bit rich for my blood. Maybe.

I think really I'm hoping there's some reasonable alternative to the V that I can buy instead of what I know I'll probably do, which is buy the V.

Also, I think I'm not really considering the IV because the V has faster AF and I don't think I could leave that on the table. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy, but bear in mind my other camera is a D500, so fast AF really is a high priority to me.

Any other cameras I should consider?

• Locked thread