Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think Canon has positioned the G7x/G9x as the S replacement since the S120 definitely doesn't seem very exciting. I have an older RX and maybe it just because I'm used to it but I rarely wait for the focus to set and when I do it feels quick. That said I rarely try to shoot anything remotely like fast action with it and coming from a SLR you may be right about anything else feeling slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krakkles posted:

Have they really not updated the Canon S in 3.5 years?

I want to upgrade my S95 meaningfully, but the RX100 V is a bit rich for my blood. Maybe.

I think really I'm hoping there's some reasonable alternative to the V that I can buy instead of what I know I'll probably do, which is buy the V.

Also, I think I'm not really considering the IV because the V has faster AF and I don't think I could leave that on the table. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy, but bear in mind my other camera is a D500, so fast AF really is a high priority to me.

Any other cameras I should consider?

Probably because the non-flagship P&S market has collapsed and nobody bother to update anything. Nikon has cancelled the DL too.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The canon and panosonic 1" sensor compacts (G7x mkii, LX10) are both pretty decent and cheaper. Of those two I think the LX10 has the better autofocus with Panasonic's DFD stuff in it.

edit: from messing around with them in the store the G7x felt the nicest in hand to me of all three.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the P&S market is drat near completely dead nowadays. Everyone uses their phones.

Krakkles, you're not gonna get great AF in almost any case, especially if you're used to a DSLR.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The videos I've seen of the rx100m5 AF look pretty darn fast; non DSLR autofocus has come a long way vs even just a few years ago.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Are any of the 'me too' 1" sensor compacts from Canon (powershot G-whatever X-something) or Panasonic (ZSnumber or FZnumber) a good value compared to an RX100III/IV? Seems like you might be able to save a few $$$ by getting one of those. The image quality is probably fairly close to an RX, but I don't know anything else about their AF performance or ergonomics. They also don't have BSI sensors like the latest RX's, but I'm not really sure what 'backside illumination' does for you. Seems like it might elicit unwanted attention. Although I guess it would make jogging at night safer.

I have a G7X (m1) and I'm pretty happy with it. I think it may have the widest lens of the set, and has good ergonomics. I love the dedicated exposure compensation dial and the tilt screen is occasionally really handy for low-angle shots. It's definitely bulkier than the RX100 though. I don't do much video fwiw.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Have they really not updated the Canon S in 3.5 years?

I want to upgrade my S95 meaningfully, but the RX100 V is a bit rich for my blood. Maybe.

I think really I'm hoping there's some reasonable alternative to the V that I can buy instead of what I know I'll probably do, which is buy the V.

Also, I think I'm not really considering the IV because the V has faster AF and I don't think I could leave that on the table. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy, but bear in mind my other camera is a D500, so fast AF really is a high priority to me.

Any other cameras I should consider?

I think when the S90/5 came out, it was much better than what the phones were doing at the time. I had a S95 for a long time and as my iPhone got better, it just wasn't worth bringing along the S95. I think point and shoots with sensors that size are dead and you should look at the many different 1 inches available.

Aside from allowing manual control, I liked the S series because they were jeans pocketable cameras. IMO Sony's RX100 is the best jeans pocketable camera with the 1 inch sensor. If you don't care about that, I'd look at the other brands that use the same sensor. I have the III, and the other feature that got me is the popup EVF. I've always hated using the LCD to compose and the EVF is the perfect solution. If gives me stability in my shots (since it rests on my face) and it's much easier to compose when you eliminate all visual distractions. I'm sure the 4 and 5 are good, but there is nothing wrong with a 3 at all. If you don't care about the EVF, then a 2 is still pretty solid. I've had my 3 for a couple years now and I really don't care about upgrading (I only do stills and I don't need fast AF, that's what my SLR is for).

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The other nice thing about the popup viewfinder is that it makes me secretly feel like a James Bond badass whenever I unlatch or restow the viewfinder.

...could be just me though.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I continue to enjoy my S90.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've been using my S110 quite a bit recently, so much so that I'm starting to think about buying another camera. To be clear I'm firmly in casual hobbyist territory: I've graduated from the auto setting but only just. My two complaints are low light performance (the big one) and zoom on both close and far objects. My problems are probably still user error at this stage but are there any models I should be looking at anyway?

Virtue fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 18, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Low light performance combined with a bunch of zoom on a P&S basically doesn't exist. If you want a point and shoot you're gonna likely have to pick one or the other.

E: what are you trying to shoot? You said zoom on both close and far objects.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maybe the Sony RX10 III but that's the size of an SLR and costs $1500.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any of the 1" Sony sensor cameras is gonna have waaay better low light than the S110 and probably feel more responsive in general. Panasonic's has a pretty long zoom too: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2017-roundup-enthusiast-long-zoom-cameras/5

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Modern 1" sensor point and shoots will have 2-3 steps better performance than s110 in low light. I suggest you forget about the zoom thing and just crop the hell out of your beach photos.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

DJExile posted:

E: what are you trying to shoot? You said zoom on both close and far objects.

I keep my camera in my pocket so random things like a bird in a tree or a bee on a flower. Cliche, I know

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Going on vacation next month and I'm looking for a P&S that will do a bit more than my iPhone camera. I have an old Sony that still works great, but it's so old that it needs a dock to connect to a computer, which is too much poo poo to haul across the ocean. Since the OP was last updated in 2011, anyone have recommends? Looking to keep it at a couple hundred bucks or less. I can afford and would love a DSLR, but don't want to wrangle lenses and all that a DSLR entails.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Going on vacation next month and I'm looking for a P&S that will do a bit more than my iPhone camera. I have an old Sony that still works great, but it's so old that it needs a dock to connect to a computer, which is too much poo poo to haul across the ocean. Since the OP was last updated in 2011, anyone have recommends? Looking to keep it at a couple hundred bucks or less. I can afford and would love a DSLR, but don't want to wrangle lenses and all that a DSLR entails.

$200 should get you a used/refurb S110 pretty easily.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DJExile posted:

$200 should get you a used/refurb S110 pretty easily.
Thanks. Found a few on Amazon and related items brought this up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RKNNGU...1500475017&sr=1

New, built in wifi transfer and a higher zoom. Assuming since it's Canon it probably won't be poo poo? I like the idea of a newer camera with a warranty but if the S110 is still miles ahead I can get that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Thanks. Found a few on Amazon and related items brought this up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RKNNGU...1500475017&sr=1

New, built in wifi transfer and a higher zoom. Assuming since it's Canon it probably won't be poo poo? I like the idea of a newer camera with a warranty but if the S110 is still miles ahead I can get that.

that's a much worse lens in terms of aperture though.

Basically you're going to get more zoom but at the cost of light. Longer zooms usually have mediocre-to-poo poo lenses. The IS is going to help a bit, but you better have really bright daylight around you once you're zoomed any more than halfway with that. All this being said, if you want the warranty and you're just using it for basic 'better than phone' snapshots i'm sure it'll work fine on the whole, I just wouldn't expect mindblowing stuff out of it.

E: We're basically at the point nowadays where digital P&S cameras are almost never used/needed. Everyone on the planet just uses their phone, and any phone made in the last few years is going to suit most peoples' needs as long as they stay on the wide end.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
When I was in London/Paris few years back, the s110 was a great buddy because it could shoot RAW in manual/semi-auto aperture-priority with an exposure level indicator. I also used the hell out of the integrated ND filter for anything shot wide open in the mid-day. The auto mode was robust for when my wife wanted to do snapshots too but of course it's limited to JPEGs for that mode. We both liked tap-to-focus on the LCD.

The wifi transfer (to my iPhone, backing up to Dropbox) was nice as I was without a laptop to back up photos each day, but if I did it again today I'd just bring a larger card or two, the transfer speed was slow as heck where my vacation hours were limited.

Then again, I got it for really cheap back then ($150 + tax new), too.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 19, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You want to get a camera with a 1" sensor. Otherwise it's too close to the quality of a new smartphone.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the info guys. I do use my phone for just quick/silly shots, but I like having something better if I'm feeling particularly artsy.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

whatever7 posted:

You want to get a camera with a 1" sensor. Otherwise it's too close to the quality of a new smartphone.

Agreed. Anything else isn't going to be worth carrying now a days.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
What would you recommend for someone who wants to get into food blogging (stills and video) but doesn't want to dive into a full on DSLR setup? I've been reading good things about the RX100 V in general, but not seeing much about macro or food.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DarkSun6890 posted:

What would you recommend for someone who wants to get into food blogging (stills and video) but doesn't want to dive into a full on DSLR setup? I've been reading good things about the RX100 V in general, but not seeing much about macro or food.

See the thee posts above yours for words of wisdom

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All you need is a small lightbox kit for macro.

rx100 is fine, from I to V

alr
May 14, 2009
I've never used the RX100 series, but I have a Canon G7X mkii I love. Pretty much the only things I needed were the ability to fit it in a jacket pocket, good ergos, and good colour straight out of camera. Have heard good things about the Panasonic LX10, too. G7X ii has good image stabilisation that works with the video, and audio that's noticeably better than what I've seen from the RX100 series. If you're recording audio separately and running images/video through post-processing anyway, then go to a store and see which you like the most. I loved how the Canon felt compared to the others so that's what I went with.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

alr posted:

I've never used the RX100 series, but I have a Canon G7X mkii I love. Pretty much the only things I needed were the ability to fit it in a jacket pocket, good ergos, and good colour straight out of camera. Have heard good things about the Panasonic LX10, too. G7X ii has good image stabilisation that works with the video, and audio that's noticeably better than what I've seen from the RX100 series. If you're recording audio separately and running images/video through post-processing anyway, then go to a store and see which you like the most. I loved how the Canon felt compared to the others so that's what I went with.

I think the G7X mk ii shares the same sensor as the RX100, probably the Panasonic too. That's a good thing because, that sensor rules. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cameras using that sensor, it's just going to come down to price, features, and compactness. I think the RX100 series gets the most love because they were the/one of the first to use that sensor, they're very jeans pocketable, and the later versions have some unique features such as the popup viewfinder (which is why I went with the RX100).

If you're going to be shooting at home and compactness/portability isn't a concern, then there might be some better options out there.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
How much better is an RX100 iii over an iPhone 6S+? I wouldn't mind taking better pictures...

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Etrips posted:

How much better is an RX100 iii over an iPhone 6S+? I wouldn't mind taking better pictures...

Basically it's a tool that gives you more options/capabilities for making a photo. As for taking better pictures, that's all in the photographer. The only way to take better pictures is to be a better a photographer. However, better gear can make things easier and give you more capabilities.

So with that said, I have both the Rx100 III and the 6S+ and I feel like it's easier for me to get the results I want and I'm able to do more on the Rx100. The big thing for me is the viewfinder. I've never been good at shooting on a LCD. I do a better job of taking a photo when the frame takes up most of my vision eliminating distractions. When I use the LCD, I'll get crap in the frame I didn't want (or just framing I didn't want) because I didn't notice it when I was holding the camera out. Secondly, the camera is way more stable when it's resting on my face. It's harder to hold it out in front of you and keep it steady. Physically, it's a better camera to take photos with.

For the rest of it, you have the software and the hardware. As for software (for the capture, not the editing), Apple's is top notch. It automatically figures out the best settings for a good photo and does a great job at it. It's smart enough to take a few exposures when needed and blend them on the fly (HDR). They really work to get the most they can out of that tiny camera. As for Sony, the software is pretty good as well. It's smart enough to pick a good exposure in most conditions and has a few advanced features. With the RX100, more of the photographic decision making is going to be on you, instead of automatically with the iphone (if you use the default camera app). That's not a bad thing as people who know what they're doing more prefer it (including myself).

For hardware, the RX100 III is far superior. The two main components that affect picture quality in any camera are the lens and sensor. The lens on the RX100 opens up wider (f/1.4 to 2.8) which allows for shallower depth of field and better performance in low light and has a zoom lens with a great range of 24-70 of 35mm equivalent. That basically means it goes from wide angle, covers normal vision, and then goes into telephoto which is a very useful range. The iphone is just a fixed focal length lens that can't zoom or do any shallow depth of field without software manipulation. As for sensors go, generally speaking, bigger is better. The iphone, being a phone, the sensor is tiny. On other hand, the RX100 has a large sensor for being a point and shoot (1inch in size). This larger sensor provides for better performance in low light, more detail, and better dynamic range (or more detail in the bright areas while still showing the dark areas or visa versa). As I mentioned before, Apple will fake this dynamic range by blending a few photos. As for extra detail, not much they can't do software wise yet.

I know I've posted these photos in this thread a couple times, but going through what I currently have on Flickr here are a couple samples of things I feel like I couldn't get on my iphone:

IMG_2038.jpg by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

This one is at a concert, low light and I can only get so close to the stage. The sensor and the lens worked in combination to get enough light to make it sharp and I was able to zoom in for the crop I wanted. If I did that with an iphone it would look very noisy/blurry and I'd have to shove the phone in the bassists face which I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate.

Lake Washington Ducks by Ryan Tamm, on Flickr

This one demonstrates how much extra detail you get from using the larger sensor. I don't have a side by side comparison, but I feel like with the phone, there wouldn't be much details in those waves. If I had a full frame camera, there would be even more detail but I'm happy with the RX100's results.

Did that answer your question?

Haggins fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 26, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
You can add third-party lenses to an iPhone to alter focal length, albeit at some cost to distortion (etc.) and lenses tend to look pretty clown shoes on an iPhone.

But yeah the fixed aperture is a serious limiting factor, creatively.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 26, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It doesn't matter how much the RX100 is better than the iphone. You friends probably can not articulate it. However they will notice the photos have different feels.

If you want me simplied in layman's language a 1" point and shoot is one order of magniture better than a recent iphone/galaxy.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

What if the new iPhone has a 1" sensor though

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Virtue posted:

Not gonna happen unless they want to make the iPhone about as thick as an rx100.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Virtue posted:

then you have to buy a mirrorless to be one order of magniture better.

It's an arm race.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Haggins posted:

As for taking better pictures, that's all in the photographer. The only way to take better pictures is to be a better a photographer.

To pick up on this point, I have a G7x which I enjoy using but basically just shoot on auto, which I'm sure is a waste of its capabilities. I don't really have much idea what I'm doing beyond that, such as manual control, compostion or how to process RAW. Are there any good basic tutorials on the internet (or even books) for just getting into this stuff? Specifically aimed at someone with a fixed-lens camera rather than a DSLR would be ideal, since lens choice doesn't come into my shooting at all (and right now I only have the g7x to work with). I'm particularly interested in landscapes and good nature shots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grinnard posted:

To pick up on this point, I have a G7x which I enjoy using but basically just shoot on auto, which I'm sure is a waste of its capabilities. I don't really have much idea what I'm doing beyond that, such as manual control, compostion or how to process RAW. Are there any good basic tutorials on the internet (or even books) for just getting into this stuff? Specifically aimed at someone with a fixed-lens camera rather than a DSLR would be ideal, since lens choice doesn't come into my shooting at all (and right now I only have the g7x to work with). I'm particularly interested in landscapes and good nature shots.

"Understanding Exposure" is still largely the best go-to book on the basics. Tom Ang has a few good beginner books as well.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

grinnard posted:

I'm working up a revamp of a general beginner photog resource type thread but if you have archives you can check this old beginner thread.

This is a decent brief go-to basics explainer for the 'science' of capturing photos.

Composition tips aren't that hard to find by browsing around, but are useful for interesting landscapes/nature shots.

Bryan Peterson's books (esp. Understanding Exposure) are my personal go-to for more detailed exposure and composition stuff.

For tutorials, I plan on linking to at least this guy who's more or less in line with Peterson's approach to explaining things, and isn't the worst writer. His composition tutorial is decent and well-demonstrated with examples. He also has a tutorial on landscape/nature photography, as that seems to be his main passion.

I'm hoping to have something up this week (or next) with more info, stay tuned.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 9, 2017

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm working up a revamp of a general beginner photog resource type thread but if you have archives you can check this old beginner thread.

This is a decent brief go-to basics explainer for the 'science' of capturing photos.

Composition tips aren't that hard to find by browsing around, but are useful for interesting landscapes/nature shots.

Bryan Peterson's books (esp. Understanding Exposure) are my personal go-to for more detailed exposure and composition stuff.

For tutorials, I plan on linking to at least this guy who's more or less in line with Peterson's approach to explaining things, and isn't the worst writer. His composition tutorial is decent and well-demonstrated with examples. He also has a tutorial on landscape/nature photography, as that seems to be his main passion.

I'm hoping to have something up this week (or next) with more info, stay tuned.

Sadly I do not have archives, but thanks for the links. I'll have a read this evening!

Do you know of a basic RAW processing tutorial as well? I have a camera which is capable of producing them, and a trial of Lightroom, but not really sure what I'm doing with them. I have noticed from shooting raw+jpeg and viewing both without any processing that the camera corrects for a lot of lens distortion automatically in the jpeg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

grinnard posted:

Do you know of a basic RAW processing tutorial as well? I have a camera which is capable of producing them, and a trial of Lightroom, but not really sure what I'm doing with them. I have noticed from shooting raw+jpeg and viewing both without any processing that the camera corrects for a lot of lens distortion automatically in the jpeg.
Not off-hand, I would just have to refer you to the Post-Processing Thread, the OP of which is admittedly very old.

I just shoot RAW only at this point but I'm not quite comfortable with my fundamentals (after a couple of years of non-practice) to have started down the road of involved RAW processing. My most recent (mirrorless) camera has in-camera RAW processing which will be good for me but less good for you.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 10, 2017

• Locked thread