Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think it was a joke. See the title of the thread, then cross-reference with the past several pages of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Interesting feature: Panasonic DMC-LX5 vs Canon S95 vs Canon IXUS 300 HS / SD4000 IS High ISO Noise

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_LX5/high_ISO_noise.shtml

As much praise as the S90 gets (and deserves) the lack of anything for my thumb to hold on to it really annoyed me. It's basically a little plastic brick that is waiting to fall through my sweaty fingers (I am aware there are third party solutions).

\/ Didn't know this. Thanks for pointing it out!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 4, 2010

ScreaminKing
Feb 26, 2002

I was punched in the face. What's your excuse?

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Interesting feature: Panasonic DMC-LX5 vs Canon S95 vs Canon IXUS 300 HS / SD4000 IS High ISO Noise

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_LX5/high_ISO_noise.shtml

As much praise as the S90 gets (and deserves) the lack of anything for my thumb to hold on to it really annoyed me. It's basically a little plastic brick that is waiting to fall through my sweaty fingers (I am aware there are third party solutions).

I had the same fear as you with the S95, but the S95 has a much "grippier" texture than the S90. I upgraded and that was definitely the most noticeable improvement.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
How's the shooting speed on the S95? Can it handle kids and pets in normal lighting conditions? Shutter specs seem a little slow to me.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mcsuede posted:

How's the shooting speed on the S95? Can it handle kids and pets in normal lighting conditions? Shutter specs seem a little slow to me.

I haven't had a problem with my puppy and she won't stay still for more than 1/1000000 of a second.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I know I went a little against the norm here, but I just sprung for the Lumix LX5 since I'm already bit familiar with the Leica DLUX4.

Can anyone point me to a good guide on shooting/processing RAW images? Should I even try shooting RAW since I've never had a camera that's capable?

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

No. 6 posted:

Can anyone point me to a good guide on shooting/processing RAW images? Should I even try shooting RAW since I've never had a camera that's capable?
I can't help you there, but I will say that I've been shooting RAW+JPEG so I've got a quick-and-easy JPEG I can throw into my terrible linux photo manager while I store away the RAW for some time down the road when I have time to really get into post-processing.

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes
Anyone with a S95 able to upload the Mac DPP software 3.9 somewhere? The latest one on the Canon site is still 3.8, which doesn't support the S95...so the musician I'm touring with decided to get a S95 and leave the CD back home while shooting in RAW.

At least in the meantime I can use my Windows laptop with it to convert, but it's gonna be a pain.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Rukes posted:

Anyone with a S95 able to upload the Mac DPP software 3.9 somewhere? The latest one on the Canon site is still 3.8, which doesn't support the S95...so the musician I'm touring with decided to get a S95 and leave the CD back home while shooting in RAW.

At least in the meantime I can use my Windows laptop with it to convert, but it's gonna be a pain.

Here you go...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/289353/Powershot%20S95%20CD.zip

edit: is it Deadmau5? :worship:

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 7, 2010

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

moron posted:

Here you go...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/289353/Powershot%20S95%20CD.zip

edit: is it Deadmau5? :worship:

Thanks, and yes :)

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg
I'm pretty sure I want a canon G12, but I was cross-shopping the S95 and then found this thread. I want to learn real photography (i.e.. not using auto all the time) but I want something that I'll actually carry around instead of a dslr. I have a canon 870is that I love except for the dime sized dead spots on the lcd (and the lack of external manual controls). I also have access to my dad's old pentax 35mm SLR. Is the S95 really good enough that I won't immediately wish I had gotten a rebel xsi instead, or is the G12 even good enough for that matter? P.s, the 870s lcd got messed up in my laptop bag so I really like the idea of the Gseries reversible lcd.

Sorry about typos, I'm still getting used to the droid x keyboard.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
What kind of photos will you mostly be taking? If you're taking shots mostly in good light, you won't be missing much by going with the S95. Low light is where larger sensors shine. Even if you do get a DSLR later, the S95 is still good to have as a second camera or one to keep in your pocket.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So I dropped my brand new S95 in a stream - completely submerged for about 2-3 seconds. My jacket had a massive hole in one of the pockets I didn't spot until after the camera fell.

It turned on OK a couple of minutes later but a few minutes after that I got a very dark screen (the barest ghost of an image), I'm guessing some water got to the internals through the front ring because the battery compartment and AV plug area just had some small drops. I took out the battery and card and let it air dry for about 30 minutes, and when I tried again I got the screen to set the time and date, but the screen froze after about 20 seconds. I'm letting it dry overnight to see what happens. How screwed am I, do you think?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

krushgroove posted:

So I dropped my brand new S95 in a stream - completely submerged for about 2-3 seconds. My jacket had a massive hole in one of the pockets I didn't spot until after the camera fell.

It turned on OK a couple of minutes later but a few minutes after that I got a very dark screen (the barest ghost of an image), I'm guessing some water got to the internals through the front ring because the battery compartment and AV plug area just had some small drops. I took out the battery and card and let it air dry for about 30 minutes, and when I tried again I got the screen to set the time and date, but the screen froze after about 20 seconds. I'm letting it dry overnight to see what happens. How screwed am I, do you think?

It's too late now, but you should have let it air dry for a couple days. You're probably quite screwed.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, worst thing you could've done is acting like an impatient ape and run electricity thorough the wet/shorted electronics, repeatedly, which is exactly what you did. Should have dried the exterior immediately, removed battery/card and leave it in a bag of rice/desiccant silica gel for a few days or weeks.

And it's likely there's a tripped moisture sensor sticker inside, so you are pretty much hosed. This will teach you to be more patient and be more careful with your electronics in the future.

This also apply to cellphones and pretty much all other mobile/personal electronics.

Sorry if I sounded mean, just sad to see a perfectly good piece of equipment being ruined by mishandling it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks :( I'm on day 2 of a multi-day trip so I was hoping to not have to find dessicant gel in the back country of England and wait a couple of weeks. I guess I'll look up repair places when I get home.

e: I can find some rice at least, I've got some plastic bags to keep it in for a few days.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 12, 2010

I light fires
May 12, 2001

krushgroove posted:

I did something very similar with an ipod touch and a hot tub. I lucked out and had bought my ipod on my visa which has buyer protection for the first 90 days which includes theft and accidents. If you used your credit card to buy your camera and its fairly newish you might want to look and see if you have any insurance offered through your card. Sometimes its on the card and you don't even know it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'll check with my mom (who sent me the camera), she usually uses American Express for her shopping so it probably is under some sort of dumbass insurance.

In other news, the camera works fine now.

Went and got a cheap bag of basmati rice and emptied it into a cheap Ziploc-style bag, then stuck the camera in to completely surround it. Waited a couple of days, then tried it again. There were tiny water drops inside the lens but it turned on fine and I put in the time/date - the last time I tried to do this 5 days ago, the time/date screen froze on me. I took the battery out with the lens fully extended (so the rice could extract water more easily from the lens area?) then put the camera back in the bag until just now, and the camera works fine. I've put the camera back in for a few more days just for extra assurance, but right now everything seems OK.

I'll take a full-res picture at some point and check it out at 100% zoom to see if there are any spots on the sensor or lens, but right now it looks like I don't have to worry about sending it anywhere to get fixed, or seriously look at gadget insurance.

So yes, this impatient ape is counting himself lucky!

manpants
Mar 12, 2009
I am about to (possibly) buy a Canon G10. Does anyone have any experience with this camera? I'm looking to find any weaknesses before I hand over my cash.

There are a couple of scratches on the lens which I'm hoping wont make too much of a difference (no visible difference so far as I can see, but you never know). But for the price I can't really complain too much.

Also when I first got the camera a bunch of the screws on the case were missing, I've replaced them but it's fairly worrying. This is my first decent compact!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
My only tip can be to carry some rice around with you.

Scratches on the lens and missing screws? I hope you're getting a good deal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krushgroove posted:

hahaha

krushgroove posted:

Yeah this would point to a camera that's been mistreated/dropped.

manpants
Mar 12, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah this would point to a camera that's been mistreated/dropped.

krushgroove posted:

I figured as much. I've tested it pretty thoroughly and the scratches don't make a visible difference, and it functions well.

I'm getting it for £110, so I suppose I can't complain about it being imperfect, and I'm buying it from the shop I work at so if it doesn't work I'll be fine getting a refund.

I'm going to play with it some more on my next day off I think.

Edit:

krushgroove posted:

(I don't get it)

manpants fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 22, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

manpants posted:

(I don't get it)
Read this page, from a few posts down from the top to the bottom.

Also, what other options are there for you at the shop you work at? Sounds like you can just wait for another deal to come along, which shouldn't take too long if you work at a shop that turns over second-hand cameras on a regular basis. Anything less damaged coming down the pipe?

EDIT: I was bag-shopping for a bit today, and trying to picture all of my DSLR stuff in the various compartments of the bags. I'll have to mentally include a ziplock full of basmati :v:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

manpants posted:

I am about to (possibly) buy a Canon G10. Does anyone have any experience with this camera? I'm looking to find any weaknesses before I hand over my cash.

There are a couple of scratches on the lens which I'm hoping wont make too much of a difference (no visible difference so far as I can see, but you never know). But for the price I can't really complain too much.

Also when I first got the camera a bunch of the screws on the case were missing, I've replaced them but it's fairly worrying. This is my first decent compact!

Don't waste the money on it. Sounds like it's in pretty bad shape. Also, aside from that the G10 wasn't a very good camera. It was a step down from the G9. G11 and 12 are ok though.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I want to upgrade my G9 to an S95 as not being able to push past ISO 200 sucks, but I can't bring myself to after the Fujifilm X100 was announced :shobon:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Rated PG-34 posted:

I want to upgrade my G9 to an S95 as not being able to push past ISO 200 sucks, but I can't bring myself to after the Fujifilm X100 was announced :shobon:

Trust me, you ain't getting an X100 for the price of an S95.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

HPL posted:

Trust me, you ain't getting an X100 for the price of an S95.

Yeah I'm well aware that the slated price of the X100 is $1k; it's just that I can't see myself needing both of them.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

manpants posted:

I figured as much. I've tested it pretty thoroughly and the scratches don't make a visible difference, and it functions well.

I'm getting it for £110, so I suppose I can't complain about it being imperfect, and I'm buying it from the shop I work at so if it doesn't work I'll be fine getting a refund.

I'm going to play with it some more on my next day off I think.

Edit:

(I don't get it)

do a Control+F on this page for this phrase: "So I dropped my brand new S95 in a stream", about 3 posts from the top like ExecuDork said.

And if you can get a refund for the G10 just in case, more power to ya! Good deal.

manpants
Mar 12, 2009

Haggins posted:

Don't waste the money on it. Sounds like it's in pretty bad shape. Also, aside from that the G10 wasn't a very good camera. It was a step down from the G9. G11 and 12 are ok though.

ExecuDork posted:

Also, what other options are there for you at the shop you work at? Sounds like you can just wait for another deal to come along, which shouldn't take too long if you work at a shop that turns over second-hand cameras on a regular basis. Anything less damaged coming down the pipe?

Yeah, there will be another camera eventually, I'll just have to wait. I get some absolutely ridiculous deals where I work, which is about the only perk of working there (in a lovely pawn shop). I was very happy to get my (not stolen) 70-200mm 2.8L IS for £400.

It was just tempting because we don't often get cameras that good in the shop.

Edit:

krushgroove posted:

And if you can get a refund for the G10 just in case, more power to ya! Good deal.

A friend mentioned that his camera was on its way out, so I let him take it instead. I'll be able to get a refund for him if it decides to die though.

Also, I get it now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

manpants posted:

I was very happy to get my (not stolen) 70-200mm 2.8L IS for £400.
I hate you so much.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yeah I'm well aware that the slated price of the X100 is $1k; it's just that I can't see myself needing both of them.

One of them goes in your pocket and the other doesn't, though this might mean getting an X100 and a cheaper compact.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I just found out that the S90 has a hidden clock feature:

How cool is that?

http://dpinterface.com/camera-news/canon-camera-flash-clock-feature/

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

spog posted:

How cool is that?

S95 has it too, this rules.

Beer Coaster
Jul 30, 2002

spog posted:

That is really cool, I uploaded a short video of it in action, the animations are neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi1aWia42Yg

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Your heavy breathing makes it work.

Boner Honkfarts
May 19, 2003

I'm in the market for a P&S and this thread has been a great help! I was originally looking at an entry-level DSLR, but decided that I had to have something more compact for travelling, and shooting video was a plus.

I like the S95 and will probably get one, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something comparable with a viewfinder or that uses regular batteries. The lack of viewfinder I can get over, but the thought of being somewhere with dead batteries and without power scares me. Any recommended alternatives? What about those recharge solutions that use regular batteries to charge the L-Ion?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
You get a wall charger with the S95, for $10 you can get an extra 2 batteries to keep in the camera bag. That should be enough for 1000+ shots I'd think, it depends how much you use the screen to review/delete pictures, etc.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with an off-brand battery? Because the idea of having a camera that's not just out of juice but actually busted while I'm on a trip freaks me out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I can't speak to the S95 specifically, but I know when I bought a DSLR I was really concerned about being stuck without batteries. It turned out out that I was completely wrong. Lithium ion batteries not only lasted longer, but also recharged way faster. If you go through Amazon you can buy 4 third party replacements and an extra charger for less than 15 bucks. Just keep them charged when you're around power and I don't think you'll run into any problems.

Edit to qirex: I bought some BP511a's about 9 months ago through Eforcity on Amazon. They were a little lighter than the Canon ones, but they hold there charge for a long time and I have taken almost 1400 shots in a day before having to swap batteries. Sure, it's possible that your experience may vary with smaller batteries, but if I was in your shoes I'd buy them in a second.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Honkfarts
May 19, 2003

I've heard that in colder climates, the third-party batteries definitely start to show a difference in performance. I've read everything from half the normal working time to completely worthless, no idea how accurate that information is.

I'll be on a mountaineering trip for several weeks next year, many miles from the nearest power outlet, and I want to make sure I'm not stuck up there without being able to take pictures. I guess I'll buy several OEM batteries and memory cards and hope for the best.

• Locked thread