Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Lithium-based batteries lose a lot of their oomph when it's cold, so keep the batteries in an internal pocket when the temperature drops. Same thing with cell/mobile phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I just lost my Panasonic Lumix FX-100 and so am looking for a new camera. The FX-100 had a great battery life and I had no problems with it so I'm interested in knowing what the equivalent Panasonic to the Canon s95 is. Also, why the s95 is superior to it. I have no problem buying the s95, but I'd like to understand why.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

qirex posted:

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with an off-brand battery? Because the idea of having a camera that's not just out of juice but actually busted while I'm on a trip freaks me out.
I bought "Maximal Power" off-brands for my S95. Ran one through the washer and dryer in the pocket of my jeans and it still works just fine.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

qirex posted:

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with an off-brand battery? Because the idea of having a camera that's not just out of juice but actually busted while I'm on a trip freaks me out.

I've been using cheap ebay batteries for several years on my Rebel Xti, G9, and at present my 50D and S90. I kinda notice a slight difference in charge in my 50D but I cannot/could not tell any difference between OEM and off brand in the other cameras I've used. I wouldn't worry about it.

Boner Honkfarts posted:

I've heard that in colder climates, the third-party batteries definitely start to show a difference in performance. I've read everything from half the normal working time to completely worthless, no idea how accurate that information is.

I'll be on a mountaineering trip for several weeks next year, many miles from the nearest power outlet, and I want to make sure I'm not stuck up there without being able to take pictures. I guess I'll buy several OEM batteries and memory cards and hope for the best.

I don't have any cold weather experience where I live but I've heard that cold weather is a problem for all batteries and I'm sure at a certain temperature, no battery will be immune. I remember reading about a Nat Geo photographer shooting deep within Antarctica a few years ago. It was so cold that he couldn't use any batteries so he chose to shoot with a completely manual film camera and metered with his eyes.

What ever batteries you buy, think of a way to constantly keep your batteries warm, possibly by keeping them real close to your body. A trick I heard is to keep them under your armpit but I'm sure that won't be too comfortable on a long hike.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

Had a few off-brand ones die on me but never had a problem with sterlingtek stuff. They have a pretty decent customer service too.

http://sterlingtek.com/canbbaparefo.html

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Boner Honkfarts posted:

I'll be on a mountaineering trip for several weeks next year, many miles from the nearest power outlet, and I want to make sure I'm not stuck up there without being able to take pictures. I guess I'll buy several OEM batteries and memory cards and hope for the best.
Just buy 10 extra batteries from different manufacturers. That way if one ends up sucking, you aren't completely boned.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
"Buy.com has the recently released Canon PowerShot S95 10MP 3.8X Digital Camera for $363.99 Free Shipping."

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/229785?f=f

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Off brand batteries are cheap so go nuts! But li-ion batteries do lose charge in not time during cold weather. When i went skiing, the batteries were losing the charge while going up on the ski lift but magically became full once inside the lodge :smith:

Anyone here have any experience or thoughts on the new leica red dot point and shoots? Apparently, the lens is the same as the panasonic but the sensor is different? Or is it just a load of bs to upsell a red dot?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
To combine the already mentioned clock short cut, there are few other things you can do with the S95:

Hold down the review button to view the photos without powerup the rest of the lens/camera.

Hold down Func. Set and press power to bring up the neat clock.

While shooting in outdoor/brightly lit situations. Hold down DISP button to instantly toggle between maximum and preset LCD brightness.

AF LOCK-
While half pressing the shutter button and achieved a focus, press the macro/MF button (left ring button) to get focus lock (basically changing it to MF). To revert to regular focus, just let go of the shutter button and press the macro/MF button briefly.

AE LOCK
While half pressing the shutter button and achieved an exposure reading, press the exposure compensation button (top ring button) to get exposure lock. To revert to regular exposure, just let go of the shutter button and press the exposure compensation button briefly.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm going to be ordering a S95 this weekend. What SD card is recommended? I usually shoot JPEG, but I want to start learning how to use RAW shooting; would a 16GB card be a decent size for general shooting?

Also, does anybody use a case with their camera?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Aatrek posted:

I'm going to be ordering a S95 this weekend. What SD card is recommended? I usually shoot JPEG, but I want to start learning how to use RAW shooting; would a 16GB card be a decent size for general shooting?

Also, does anybody use a case with their camera?
16gb will definitely be more than enough. 8gb will fit >400 raws I believe. I just but whatevers rated highest on newegg. Pretty sure I have Kingston SD cards for the most part. I don't personally use a case.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's a good habit to carry 1 spare battery and 1 spare memory card just in case. I just get screen protectors and if the LCD gets scratched I replace it with another. Modern point and shoots are alot fun and I like the discrete profile. In 3 years time the camera will be obsolete but the good news is that current technology is already very practical. Good af, raw mode, decent out doors ISO. it's the indoors and low light which gets to you, but then a handy plastic tripod will rectify that!

DaNzA posted:

awesome stuff

Cool thanks!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
If I had the chance to buy a barely used Sigma DP1 for the same price as a new s95, would it be a better choice?

The DP1 has an aps-c sensor but a 24mm/2.8 prime lens (well, I actually prefer this lens) and is a bit thicker than the s95. Does the sensor make enough of a difference to make it a better choice? I will be using this portable camera mostly at night.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!

nerdz posted:

If I had the chance to buy a barely used Sigma DP1 for the same price as a new s95, would it be a better choice?

The DP1 has an aps-c sensor but a 24mm/2.8 prime lens (well, I actually prefer this lens) and is a bit thicker than the s95. Does the sensor make enough of a difference to make it a better choice? I will be using this portable camera mostly at night.

Which DP1 were you looking at? The Foveon's a lovely sensor, but the Sigma DP range has always had a hell of a time handling it - it's famously slow (in terms of turn-on time and shot-to-shot). I've handled a DP1s, and I found it unbearable, and I'm not even usually that fussed about camera speed.

But yes, a big sensor does indeed make a difference, especially if you're into a bit of bokeh. Not sure how it is in low-light, though. If you want a sensor that size in a point and shoot, it's pretty much that, a Leica (gnnnnh) or wait for the X100. Also, the newest Sigma DP1x has a new processor which is meant to be a lot faster.

I'm going to be a bit biased, as mine literally arrived yesterday morning, but I picked up a Ricoh GR Digital III for just £310, and it is blowing me away. It's just terrifically well made, and that f1.9 lens is a real beaut. It's only got a standard-size (for a point-and-shoot) 1.7" CCD, but the lens and image quality seem to really make up for it. It's also famously good as a low-light/nighttime camera. It can manage some lovely depth-of-field effects even with the small sensor, and I've had it focusing perfectly at distances of less than 1cm (!) in macro mode. It's also got a Dynamic Range mode (takes two photos at different exposures and combines them) which, much to my surprise, is actually very impressive.

On top of all that, it's very satisfying to hold, and feels decidedly well made. It would probably be slightly alarming in terms of features for a beginner (especially with the latest firmware) - it's almost bafflingly customisable (most of the buttons and modes can be entirely re-programmed). It does have a good full-auto mode, but it really rewards use in manual or aperture-priority mode. I also find it quite ugly in a profoundly endearing manner.

//edit: I just came across these threads at the Rangefinder Forums (they're kinda like the freaks at NMA but with Leicas instead of Fallout) about the DP range:

DP1
DP2s

Their consensus seems to be:

Rangefinder Foums posted:

My first day of shooting today. Christ. I'd forgotten how ridiculously AWFUL everything is--the AF, the groaning, creaking lens, the cap, the plasticky buttons, GOD.

But the lens and the sensor are AMAZING....can't post pics just yet, I am away from home and want to run 'em through LR3, but good lord. There is nothing like these files.

Maddening to use with a very beautiful sensor, basically - they've got some nice sample images to bear that out. It'd be a very different prospect from the S95. I'd suggest that if you're not 100% sure you want a Sigma, you're probably better off with the Canon.

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 12, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Spent a day at the Wales Rally GB this weekend and tried a load of manual settings on my S95 (I didn't drop it or anything!). Motorsports is perfect practice for getting settings right for action photos, because you can stay in one place and the cars/bikes come by at the same speeds/distance/angle.

I had trouble after the sun went down since I was deep in the forest stage, but still got some good pictures, I'll post a Google Photos album link and samples in a bit, but does anyone have a link to a good primer on what the various settings do? I do OK with panning and picking the right shutter speeds, but I was having trouble finding the right F-stop and ISO settings, especially as it went to completely dark.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

hairysammoth posted:

Their consensus seems to be:

Maddening to use with a very beautiful sensor, basically - they've got some nice sample images to bear that out. It'd be a very different prospect from the S95. I'd suggest that if you're not 100% sure you want a Sigma, you're probably better off with the Canon.

Well, I've read about something around 7 seconds per shot, and I think I can handle that. But the problem here is the lens, the DP1 has a f/4 lens, I think that's way too dark for me. I would have to go with a DP2, and the price goes way up from there. The S90/S95 it is then, I'll only wait for some black fridays discounts.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

nerdz posted:

Well, I've read about something around 7 seconds per shot, and I think I can handle that. But the problem here is the lens, the DP1 has a f/4 lens, I think that's way too dark for me. I would have to go with a DP2, and the price goes way up from there. The S90/S95 it is then, I'll only wait for some black fridays discounts.

That was exactly my thinking, which is why I went with the Ricoh - f1.9 is pretty unusual in a PnS, especially at $450-odd new. The S95 is similarly quick by all accounts.

krushgroove posted:

I do OK with panning and picking the right shutter speeds, but I was having trouble finding the right F-stop and ISO settings, especially as it went to completely dark.

I am undoubtedly a very long way from being the most qualified person on the forums to talk about this, but my understanding is that in most circumstances you usually want to use the lowest ISO you can get away.

However, as you're also shooting moving targets, you're (probably) also looking for a relatively short exposure. Personally, I'd crank the aperture as wide as it'd go (assuming you're not worried keeping the background in focus). I'd then try a few different ISOs until I was looking at the lowest I could get while still using a decent shake-free shutter speed (again, depends on the camera, whether it has proper image stabilisation, whether you're using a tripod etc.). On my unstabilised Ricoh I can usually be confident of a half-decent shot at anything faster than 1/40.

With motorsports, though, this may be too slow if your subject is really hooning it. If that's the case, you may need to use a faster ISO so you can speed up the shutter. Either way, though, I'd keep the aperture cranked way open.

Now someone knowledgeable can explain to me exactly why I'm doing it completely wrong :science:

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 15, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

hairysammoth posted:

I am undoubtedly a very long way from being the most qualified person on the forums to talk about this, but my understanding is that in most circumstances you usually want to use the lowest ISO you can get away.

However, as you're also shooting moving targets, you're (probably) also looking for a relatively short exposure. Personally, I'd crank the aperture as wide as it'd go (assuming you're not worried keeping the background in focus). I'd then try a few different ISOs until I was looking at the lowest I could get while still using a decent shake-free shutter speed (again, depends on the camera, whether it has proper image stabilisation, whether you're using a tripod etc.). On my unstabilised Ricoh I can usually be confident of a half-decent shot at anything faster than 1/40.

With motorsports, though, this may be to slow if you subject is really hooning it. If that's the case, you may need to use a faster ISO so you can speed up the shutter. Either way, though, I'd keep the aperture cranked way open.

Now someone knowledgeable can explain to me exactly why I'm doing it completely wrong :science:

Technically right or wrong, what you say sounds right to my inexperienced ears, so thanks for replying.

These are the kinds of conditions I was working in (just uploaded these, these are the best ones)
late morning, but kind of a low sun through trees and shade:

mid-day, overcast

(in most of the pictures from this location, I was trying to get movement in the wheels, mud/gravel coming off the tires and the car in focus - I wasn't worried about the background at all)

late in the day (actually about 3) but the sun was going

and then close to full dark - couldn't find a good combination of shutter speed and panning

Many of the near-dark photos came out like this though:

I guess with a DSLR I could be taking loads of pictures in one go and delete the bad ones, but I gave up on the continuous shooting mode at the last position we were in because the cars were so quick in that section and the shooting mode was too slow.

More pictures here http://goo.gl/photos/X2EtEk0cxR - I guess anyone interested in an S95 can check out these photos, I tried all kinds of settings so there's a scattering of sample images

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 15, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah, those dark ones are pretty much the best you're going to get. You could manually switch the ISO to 3200 (if you hadn't already) since auto ISO stops at 800 I believe. It does on the s90 anyway. The scene was just too dark. You've got the right ideas though. Widest aperture possible, don't forget it's widest @ the widest angle and closes up as you zoom in. With the cars, you'll need a faster shutter speed if you want to freeze them. Somewhere around 1/125 or faster probably (I've never shot races before). Unfortunately sometimes there's just no substitute for a the relatively massive sensor of a dSLR.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah as the light was going completely I cranked the ISO way up, on one of the settings (low-light) I saw ISO 12800, I did a double-take because the number was so high. Some of the dark pictures came out pretty nice, but even on the screen I could see the noise.

That reminds me, if I'm going to do any more of this I need to get screen protectors. It wasn't raining but gravel was spitting everywhere from those things.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

spf3million posted:

Widest aperture possible, don't forget it's widest @ the widest angle and closes up as you zoom in.

This is a good point - looking at your album, the aperture on the darker photos varies between f3.9 and f5. The S95 is capable of f2.0 (I believe), but only when zoomed all the way out. That's a whole two stops (and some) of difference - zoom out all the way and you're effectively quadrupling the light you're getting.

I'm afraid spf3million is right really, though - very hard to capture cleanly without a DSLR sensor...

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 16, 2010

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Judging from the two shots you posted, you were actually try to get those panning shots with a sharp looking car but with a blurry background, but did you know you can actually change the IS mode from Shoot-only to Panning?

Panning stabilization mode will only stabilize the lens in one axis and should give you a sharp looking result even with something like 1/10 ~ 1/25, it's pretty much what the SLR shooters use explicitly on their IS lenses when shooting motorsports. And with such a slow shutter speed and improved hybrid-is on S95, you should should be able to get sharp photos without cranking up the ISO or using the wide end only.

Read the manual :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DaNzA posted:

did you know you can actually change the IS mode from Shoot-only to Panning?

I'm still playing around and learning things, but yeah I'll check out the manual before I go to another event.

Thanks everyone!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

caberham posted:

Off brand batteries are cheap so go nuts! But li-ion batteries do lose charge in not time during cold weather. When i went skiing, the batteries were losing the charge while going up on the ski lift but magically became full once inside the lodge :smith:

Anyone here have any experience or thoughts on the new leica red dot point and shoots? Apparently, the lens is the same as the panasonic but the sensor is different? Or is it just a load of bs to upsell a red dot?

The Panasonic Lumix LX5 is the same as a Leica D-Lux 5. While they have slightly different bodies and software, the LX5 and D-Lux 5 are essentially identical.

One thing to keep in mind is the Leica will hold a better resale, so if you plan on getting rid of it in a couple years, there's that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It might hold a comparatively better resale, but the price difference might just be the same.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I've been wanting to get a point and shoot camera because I'm going to be wanting a small camera to take with me while motorcycling/camping, and while I loved owning a DSLR and want to own one again, I want a point and shoot for the times I don't feel like carrying around camera gear.

I've been looking at the Canon G12, but after reading this thread I saw people saying the S95 has most all of the same (excepting a hotshoe flash) in a smaller package.

Fully manual controls, 720p video and that HDR shooting mode, all of those things? what about a tripod mount?

I don't mind spending the extra money for a G12 if it does have more neat features, but I am curious about what some of you said about it being just as inconvenient as a DSLR. I guess I'll go to a store today and try to get my hands on one, see how it feels.

edit: It appears it does have 720video, HDR shooting mode (although yes I know you can do this yourself) and fully manual controls. What about a little tripod mount hole thingy on the bottom?

Korwen fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 17, 2010

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

Korwen posted:

I've been wanting to get a point and shoot camera because I'm going to be wanting a small camera to take with me while motorcycling/camping, and while I loved owning a DSLR and want to own one again, I want a point and shoot for the times I don't feel like carrying around camera gear.

I've been looking at the Canon G12, but after reading this thread I saw people saying the S95 has most all of the same (excepting a hotshoe flash) in a smaller package.

Fully manual controls, 720p video and that HDR shooting mode, all of those things? what about a tripod mount?

I don't mind spending the extra money for a G12 if it does have more neat features, but I am curious about what some of you said about it being just as inconvenient as a DSLR. I guess I'll go to a store today and try to get my hands on one, see how it feels.

Yep, it's got a tripod mount (metal, IIRC), HD video and HDR.

I don't know what this tells you, but a good friend of mine who's also a filmmaker recently bought a Leica M8, specifically because he wanted a small, DSLR-quality camera he would actually be bothered to carry around with him everywhere.

He today confessed to me that he's since bought an S95 as well and actually uses it far more.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Korwen posted:

edit: It appears it does have 720video, HDR shooting mode (although yes I know you can do this yourself) and fully manual controls. What about a little tripod mount hole thingy on the bottom?

With the G12 you get:
A camera that'll fit in a jacket pocket but not really a jeans pocket.
Has a hotshoe
Has a view finder
Its widest aperture is 2.8
The lens is 35mm longer than the S95

With a S95
You get a camera that can fit into a jeans pocket.
Has a wider aperture of 2.0

Only old people like the view finder, I find it pointless with a LCD. As for the hotshoe that's useless too because you're not going to be hauling around speedlite that's twice the size of the camera. As for the lens you're trading an extra 35mm of zoom for faster glass on the S95, that's a good deal to me. You can always walk a few steps forward but you can't make your lens faster. Now consider the smaller size and cheaper price, and the S95 is a clear winner.

As for the tripod mount my S90 has one and I don't see why the 95 wouldn't.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 17, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Haggins posted:

As for the tripod mount my S90 has one and I don't see why the 95 wouldn't.

The S95 has a normal tripod mount

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Like 10 seconds with google

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Canon-PowerShot-S95-Digital-Camera-First-Impressions-Review-21876.htm

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Just ordered my S95. Hooray!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Since there seems to be a lot of people who've hopped on the S90/95 bandwagon, I'm going to throw out my recommendation for Canon's official case.

Back when i got my S90 I wanted a case that protected my camera, didn't make it much more bulkier, and allowed me to clip it to a belt when needed. The Canon case is all three of those along with being very well made. The leather used is of high quality and the case fits like a glove. The case stays closed with two strong magnets, one that clips so it doesn't slide open. I've been using mine for the better part of a year now and have no complaints.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'd like a nice (but inexpensive case) that will hold the extra battery.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I use the Lowe Pro Ridge 30, have had it for a couple of years for my A95 and now for the S95: http://products.lowepro.com/product/Ridge-30,2020,25.htm

The zipper in the flap holds memory cards, under that is a pouch that holds 2 batteries and a small SD card reader, and it comes with a thin shoulder strap. The main compartment is big enough to hold the shoulder strap and the S95. The only drawback of it is that you have to thread your belt through the belt loop (there's no buckle or velcro), so if you have backpacking trousers with a built-in webbing belt it might be hard to attach it to your hip.

That Canon case looks pretty classy though!

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Looks like I have an opportunity to get a brand new S95 for about $360 after tax. The prices don't seem to vary a lot online, it seems pretty well pegged at $399, so I think this is a pretty decent deal and will probably try to buy it tomorrow. Do yall think this is a decent deal?

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Korwen posted:

Looks like I have an opportunity to get a brand new S95 for about $360 after tax. The prices don't seem to vary a lot online, it seems pretty well pegged at $399, so I think this is a pretty decent deal and will probably try to buy it tomorrow. Do yall think this is a decent deal?
I paid $400 for mine and got it a few days after release and it would have been worth it at $450+, so, yeah, I'd jump on that.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
It's 560,000 won (about $500) here in Korea although that includes a spare unofficial battery, 8GB card and a case. I'll probably still buy it but it's a little expensive.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

It's 560,000 won (about $500) here in Korea although that includes a spare unofficial battery, 8GB card and a case. I'll probably still buy it but it's a little expensive.

Are they jacking up the price because of the accessories? Can you buy it with out that stuff? Sounds like they're adding $10 worth of junk to not make you feel bad for paying more. I don't know what is considered a good deal over there but that's a tactic shady dealers use over here to rip people off.

______

In other news, I saw a tweet by B&H yesterday advertising this 32gb sdhc card for around $50

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=712659&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews

It's OOS now but a pretty good deal if you ask me. I have a 16gb in my S90 and I never even get close to filling it up.

crackers for dinner
Jun 18, 2008
So I 've been looking at cameras and decided on the s95. I just saw on amazon the s95 is $370 right now and comes with a free 8gb Kingston memory card. There's also supposed to be 25% off a tripod but I couldn't get that part of the deal to work for me. They have the same 32gb Transcend card for the same price. It seems to have a lot of positive reviews so I decided to snag that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
Just bought an SD1300is 2 days ago. Here are some samples:

Click here for the full 2000x1124 image.

Click here for the full 1124x2000 image.

• Locked thread